Bowls

I am concerned that we could get leaped by penn state with a poor showing. If that happens then the Orange could take them. We need to win big and hope it’s enough to pass a 3 loss Lsu team that we whipped. That would guarantee the orange.

I don't think we have to be worried about being ranked behind LSU if they lose. 3rd loss and head to head loss to us at 10-2 pretty much seals the deal

I don't think we have to be worried about being ranked behind LSU if they lose. 3rd loss and head to head loss to us at 10-2 pretty much seals the deal
If it's a blowout, yes. If it's close late in the 4th, nah.

I think it’s Cotton if we beat Vandy. With an outside chance at Orange.

Citrus if we lose. Ole Miss losing to Arkansas last week probably helped make sure we don’t fall past Citrus.

I think it’s Cotton if we beat Vandy. With an outside chance at Orange.

Citrus if we lose. Ole Miss losing to Arkansas last week probably helped make sure we don’t fall past Citrus.
Sugar gets first pick orange 2nd. If we win and LSU losses a 3rd game I fully believe orange would take Tennessee. Heck Bama could slip up in the Iron Bowl, crazier things have happened. And LSU and the A@M game will not be a easy out for the Tigers. I can see that one being tough. But at the end of the day, I want Tennessee to finish the year looking like the Tennessee we saw most of the year. GBO!

Sugar gets first pick orange 2nd. If we win and LSU losses a 3rd game I fully believe orange would take Tennessee. Heck Bama could slip up in the Iron Bowl, crazier things have happened. And LSU and the A@M game will not be a easy out for the Tigers. I can see that one being tough. But at the end of the day, I want Tennessee to finish the year looking like the Tennessee we saw most of the year. GBO!

This is why I think a cotton bowl appearance against Tulane would be ideal. 11-2 and end the year on a high.

Reactions: ATC_VOL
Well LSU is a non factor. They win in Atlanta, they are in the playoff. They lose to UGA and take a 3rd loss, they are out of the Top 10. We win vs Vandy and we basically will Orange bowl if i had to bet a dollar. I don't see Bama losing to Auburn.

View attachment 517004

Sort of, but also not entirely, necessarily true. The committee doesn’t really penalize teams for losing a conference championship game the way the polls do and the BCS used to. The BCS/polls would treat it like a regular season loss and drop teams hard because “most of the other teams weren’t playing that weekend, so they didn’t lose.”

The most we’ve seen a conference championship game loser drop in the last 8 years has been 5 spaces (mostly they’ve dropped the loser 1-3 spaces). The committee’s pretty much treated it in such a way where they sort of cushion/lessen the team’s drop, sort of treating the result in a way that almost rewards the team a bit as having had the benefit of coming from playing an *extra* game that the other teams didn’t play / an extra game that the team had *earned*.

Sort of, but also not entirely, necessarily true. The committee doesn’t really penalize teams for losing a conference championship game the way the polls do and the BCS used to. The BCS/polls would treat it like a regular season loss and drop teams hard because “most of the other teams weren’t playing that weekend, so they didn’t lose.”

The most we’ve seen a conference championship game loser drop in the last 8 years has been 5 spaces (mostly they’ve dropped the loser 1-3 spaces). The committee’s pretty much treated it in such a way where they sort of cushion/lessen the team’s drop, sort of treating the result in a way that almost rewards the team a bit as having had the benefit of coming from playing an *extra* game that the other teams didn’t play / an extra game that the team had *earned*.

LSU with 3 losses would be the 4th highest ranked team behind UGA, Bama, Tennessee in that order. I’ll bet any amount on that

Reactions: FBtime
From the Sugar Bowl:

“The Allstate Sugar Bowl will host the champions of the SEC and the Big 12 unless either or both of those champions are selected for the College Football Playoff. If either of the champions do qualify for the playoff, another highly-ranked representative from the conference(s) will play in the Allstate Sugar Bowl. In the case of the SEC, the replacement team would be the top-ranked non-playoff team. In the case of the Big 12, the replacement team would be the next non-playoff team with the best record in the regular-season standings.”

That’s a… really odd caveat the Big 12 chose to put into their contract. So if Kansas State loses to Kansas next week, the bid could feasibly go to either Texas or Oklahoma State (presuming they also win).

Reactions: Volstylexx
I am concerned that we could get leaped by penn state with a poor showing. If that happens then the Orange could take them. We need to win big and hope it’s enough to pass a 3 loss Lsu team that we whipped. That would guarantee the orange.

Not likely. They’re also playing a very bad Michigan State team that lost to Indiana. Outside of a Tennessee loss moving them up, there’s not enough weight from a victory in that matchup to jump them over Tennessee.

Reactions: Yanks24

It entirely depends on the rankings the CFP committee puts out. The bowl contractually has to select the higher ranked team.

Reactions: Volstylexx
Michigan will be ahead of Tennessee in the CFP ranking and get the Orange bowl over UT. (EDIT: I was corrected by 2 posters that Michigan would get Rose.)

But Penn State could take our place in the Orange Bowl, according to Brent Hubbs.

Don't look now, but if Michigan, TCU, LSU, and USC lose, Alabama is sitting there at #7 in the CFP. If they win convincingly at Auburn, they just might slip in the back door. Go figure.

Reactions: Tennessee12
This is why I think a cotton bowl appearance against Tulane would be ideal. 11-2 and end the year on a high.
You want to play a weaker opponent. I think most like me would rather see us in Orange playing Clemson or a higher profile team. You can’t shy away from playing the best competition. Your insinuation that we can’t win a bigger game is pretty weak coming from a Vol fan. I want the best bowl we can get the highest we can. GBO!

Reactions: onevol74

VN Store

Back