Bowl Attendance

A lot of these bowl games are becoming the equivalent of opening round games in the NCAA basketball tournament as to actual attendance at the contest vs stadium capacity. I recently heard a nationally syndicated sports radio host call all these bowl games except the semifinal games meaningless exhibitions that a lot of players and fans don’t want to go to. Georgia’s attendance at the Sugar Bowl is telling as is Auburn’s at the Outback. I think the days of these games are likely numbered.

As someone who traveled for yesterday's game and had an awesome time, I disagree completely. Calling the bowl games exhibitions is ridiculous. They're football games just like any regular season non-conference game. 40-50k is still fairly strong attendance when both fan bases have to travel. Getting to travel with friends and family to a warmer destination and watch the Vols against an opponent we rarely see is fun. Maybe the national media doesn't think so, but the games aren't played for them. They're for the players and the fans, and at least in the case of Tennessee, both of those groups enjoy the bowl experience tremendously.

Just imagine what attendance would be if we were good again.

Yeah. But, otoh, if you're competing for SEC titles and then end up in the Gator Bowl, then you can believe that it would been 1/2 the crowd. Once fans get entitled they act different.

I work.in AL about 1/2 the year. In the past couple years I've literally heard 3 different people (ladies) talk @ not being interested in UA football any more because it's just not interesting now that it's all wins. Weird stuff.

Main there is no way 27,193 was at the Boston College and Cincy game... More like 193. This must be ticket sales and not actual attendence

Exactly.
I watched the game-until ours started-and every time they "accidentally" showed a view of the crowd, I figured only a couple thousand in the seats.

Reactions: tennesseepride84
I see no mention of the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl, the ultimate destination in January....

As an Atlanta native, I can tell you the lack of excitement from that fanbase for going to an off-year Sugar Bowl for the second year in a row when they thought they were going to the playoffs both years was palpable. I had a Georgia fan friend tell me that Sugar Bowl tickets were going for as little as $6 on secondary ticket sites.
Even if by some miracle Tennessee was playing in 10 consecutive sugar bowls the place would be packed with orange. Georgia fans are soft and entitled

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
Not even close. It only holds 60 k. The only close to full section was K states side. The end zones, uppers, and half of Navy’s side were virtually empty.

Probably 40 k really ...maybe low 40s.
Talked with someone associated with Bowl. Actual attendance was right at 40k. K-State fans did real well though.

Reactions: Doberman
One other thing, the actual attendance at the Gator Bowl was likely higher than actual at Orange Bowl. The NY6 bowls have a lot more tickets papered to sponsors so that's why the listed attendance for those games is higher. For example, the GA game probably had half the actual attendance listed.

For example, I had two local sponsors in N.O. that I do business with offer me all the tickets I wanted for that game. They literally couldnt give away Sugar Bowl tickets.

A lot of these bowl games are becoming the equivalent of opening round games in the NCAA basketball tournament as to actual attendance at the contest vs stadium capacity. I recently heard a nationally syndicated sports radio host call all these bowl games except the semifinal games meaningless exhibitions that a lot of players and fans don’t want to go to. Georgia’s attendance at the Sugar Bowl is telling as is Auburn’s at the Outback. I think the days of these games are likely numbered.
You don't understand the power of television. Tickets sold don't matter, these bowl games are huge money makers and the money is coming from ESPN. No different than the regular season, more and more, people would rather watch most of the games from the comfort of their home on a huge TV with a perfect view and cheap concessions.

Tickets sold speak to the fanbases, Tennessee was excited and is on the uptick so you saw their fanbase respond. Bubba and Georgie have no interest in going to a 2-loss bowl game so their fanbase responded accordingly. I was surprised that Auburn did as poorly, you'd think they would be excited and on the uptick after beating bubba.

This is the one that shocked me the most , Bama and Michigan couldn’t draw 60k fans .

But that game drew massive TV ratings, which matters more. 4MM more people watched the Citrus Bowl than a prime time Sugar Bowl.....

These are the reasons why the 49-7 Bama Arky game is the CBS game of the week or why we are on the game of the week much more than comparable teams.

Same for rose bowl. I watched some of that. It was not packed there.
No it wasnt and i was a bit surprised by that one... Maybe im overthinking this one but sometimes i wonder do fans get so frustrated by missing the playoffs by one game and say screw it um not going to this or that bowl, in years past that game would pack out

I remember going as a student (Doug Dickey and Bill Battle were the coaches) when it was really an event. Later, for many years I was a season ticket holder at Razorback Stadium. In my middle age, I still enjoyed being there. Now, wild horses couldn't get me to a game. The physical challenges aside (I'm still in good shape, but I don't like a cold butt), the financial obligation makes it insane. With every game in HD (bowl games included), I'm surprised that the reported attendances were this high. Maybe the younger generation still gets the thrill I knew a half-century ago.

Reactions: FrankenVol54
You don't understand the power of television. Tickets sold don't matter, these bowl games are huge money makers and the money is coming from ESPN. No different than the regular season, more and more, people would rather watch most of the games from the comfort of their home on a huge TV with a perfect view and cheap concessions.

Tickets sold speak to the fanbases, Tennessee was excited and is on the uptick so you saw their fanbase respond. Bubba and Georgie have no interest in going to a 2-loss bowl game so their fanbase responded accordingly. I was surprised that Auburn did as poorly, you'd think they would be excited and on the uptick after beating bubba.

Gator Bowl ticket sales mattered to the Gator Bowl and the city of Jacksonville. Don't underestimate the impact of 40-50k people landing in your city for 2, 3 or 4 days, staying in hotels, eating in restaurants and shopping in retail stores. That is BIG money.

Reactions: DocVOLiday
What is sad is we stayed in the Orange Park area of Jax and our server out Bufflo Wild Wings and at a local seafood restaurant had no idea the Gator Bowk was Thurs. I guess that was too far our for folks to care. LOL.

It is all about the TV money. Butts in the seats mean nothing.

I respectfully disagree. TV money matters to everybody, but butts in the seats matters to the cities that host the bowl games. The local Jacksonville economy likely made close to $20,000,000 in revenue directly from the folks that came to the Gator Bowl. The total economic impact for Jacksonville is probably closer to $35,000,000.

Here is what the Gator Bowl people say about the game and it's impact for Jacksonville - from the CBS affiliate in Jax just 3 days ago:

“The city has been very cooperative and very supportive, and after all, they should be. We’re bringing in $12-$14 million to the economy every year.”

The Gator Bowl people seem to think that butts in the seats matter.

I respectfully disagree. TV money matters to everybody, but butts in the seats matters to the cities that host the bowl games. The local Jacksonville economy likely made close to $20,000,000 in revenue directly from the folks that came to the Gator Bowl. The total economic impact for Jacksonville is probably closer to $35,000,000.

Here is what the Gator Bowl people say about the game and it's impact for Jacksonville - from the CBS affiliate in Jax just 3 days ago:

“The city has been very cooperative and very supportive, and after all, they should be. We’re bringing in $12-$14 million to the economy every year.”

It's kinda funny that two college football team fans from over 500 miles away filled the stadium up way more than the local NFL team every Sunday.

The Gator Bowl organizers run a bowl game like a bowl should be run:cool:

We traveled well, but to give credit where it's due, so did Indiana. I was at the last Gator and Outback, and Indiana showed up way better than either Iowa or Northwestern.
We traveled well, but to give credit where it's due, so did Indiana. I was at the last Gator and Outback, and Indiana showed up way better than either Iowa or Northwestern.

Not going to a bowl in a decade or two will do that.

VN Store

Back