Bowden's shooting

2 simple answers:

-Opponents now gameplan how to defend him. They have no concern for his game off the bounce.

-After a few poor shooting performances, it has also become mental. It's in his head.

Reactions: 1 person
You are right my totals were off, did the math on my phone. Corrected:

Home Vandy (and before): 46.9%
After: 30%

Still, a 17% shift is pretty big.

From 3pt range:

53.8% vs 23.7%

That’s a 30% shift.

Why is the home Vandy game the before and after point? His shooting % started to come down as soon as SEC play started. In the first 7 SEC games, before home Vandy, he shot 13-41 for 31.7% and 4-16 from 3 for 25%. Then he had a good game against a bad Vandy team and then he shot 30% the rest of the year. So he shot 31.7% in conference before Vandy and 30% after Vandy. The common denominator is SEC play, before and after the big Vandy game. He came into conference play shooting lights out from 3, everybody knew it and was ready for it and SEC defenses were better than OOC defenses.

vs Presbyterian, High Point, Mercer, Furman and Wake Forest (bad ACC team) Bowden was 27-41 from the field.

Vs Purdue, Villanova, NC St, Ga Tech, Lipscomb, NC he was 14-36.

Vs SEC he was 30% but against two worst SEC teams (4 games vs Vandy and Ole Miss) he shot 18-37; 49%. Take those games out and he’s probably around 20-25%.

For whatever reason Barnes does not structure the offense to target Bowden for shots. Think about the base line screens Pearl used to run for Lofton and Jujuan.

Why Jalen Johnson doesn't get some of his minutes is odd.

His shooting % is poor and his FT % is also poor.

vs Presbyterian, High Point, Mercer, Furman and Wake Forest (bad ACC team) Bowden was 27-41 from the field.

Vs SEC he was 30% but against two worst SEC teams (4 games vs Vandy and Ole Miss) he shot 18-37; 49%. Take those games out and he’s probably around 20-25%.

Good breakdown.

Most higher level teams can shut down a spot up shooter. I’ve also noticed his release is slow, which can be troublesome against long/athletic teams (I’ve seen a couple 3pt shots blocked due to slow release).

The release could be a mechanical issue with his shot or caused by the “hitch”/hesitation noted by another poster.

Maybe SEC teams know how to defend him and are more familiar with him. They are discussing this on Basilio right now.

Good breakdown.

Most higher level teams can shut down a spot up shooter. I’ve also noticed his release is slow, which can be troublesome against long/athletic teams (I’ve seen a couple 3pt shots blocked due to slow release).

The release could be a mechanical issue with his shot or caused by the “hitch”/hesitation noted by another poster.

He brings the ball to his waist before going up with the shot. The split second difference gives defenders a chane to make the shot contested.

Maybe SEC teams know how to defend him and are more familiar with him. They are discussing this on Basilio right now.

Well, he played pretty well vs Vandy and OM, two teams that Tennessee played TWICE so I think that theory is questionable. Like most ideas discussed on Basilio show

Well, he played pretty well vs Vandy and OM, two teams that Tennessee played TWICE so I think that theory is questionable. Like most ideas discussed on Basilio show

Well those are the 2 worst teams in the SEC so I'm guessing their defense wasn't the best.

Love to hear your theory.

Here's mine....

vs Villanova 3/7
vs NCSt 2/3
vs UNC 2/3
vs Purdue 0/1

That's 7/14 and 50% vs our four best non-conference opponents.

So it's not that he struggles against top competition and just hits three's against Furman.

Looks to me like SEC teams for the most part are aware of him and know how to defend him. The two exceptions being the cellar dwellers. Also, he has cooled down considerably from the start of the season. Along with that I think he's lost some confidence as he hasn't gotten as many clean looks as he was once getting.

If teams are aware how to defend him, he needs to develop another part of his game , or his minuites should b reduced in favor of Johnson next year.

If teams are aware how to defend him, he needs to develop another part of his game , or his minuites should b reduced in favor of Johnson next year.

Doubt you’ll see a guy who can’t get on the court in two years suddenly overtake a 2 year starter.

I’d like to see him develop that mid range jumper like Jrich.

Doubt you’ll see a guy who can’t get on the court in two years suddenly overtake a 2 year starter.

I’d like to see him develop that mid range jumper like Jrich.

Yeah. It's part of the offense to create that jumper and Bowden is usually wide open in the middle of the paint for it but he hits it like 40%

Love to hear your theory.

Here's mine....

vs Villanova 3/7
vs NCSt 2/3
vs UNC 2/3
vs Purdue 0/1

That's 7/14 and 50% vs our four best non-conference opponents.

So it's not that he struggles against top competition and just hits three's against Furman.

Looks to me like SEC teams for the most part are aware of him and know how to defend him. The two exceptions being the cellar dwellers. Also, he has cooled down considerably from the start of the season. Along with that I think he's lost some confidence as he hasn't gotten as many clean looks as he was once getting.

Those were all games either played in Nov or Dec. I doubt Bowden was a huge factor in game planning by those teams. That said best players adapt when the opponent has a scout report on them. Bowden can’t adapt at this time. Maybe by next yr.

Those were all games either played in Nov or Dec. I doubt Bowden was a huge factor in game planning by those teams. That said best players adapt when the opponent has a scout report on them. Bowden can’t adapt at this time. Maybe by next yr.

You realize he’s not a freshman right?

Why don’t you and Bowden get a room? I don’t know how many he had today but he was pretty insignificant on offense. Of course, Wright State knows how to defend him.

Great insight provided from you in this thread. Basically said “in games when Bowden doesn’t shoot it well he doesn’t shoot it well. If you take away the games he hit a bunch of threes and just look at the games where he misses most of his threes he isn’t that good of a shooter.”

Great insight provided from you in this thread. Basically said “in games when Bowden doesn’t shoot it well he doesn’t shoot it well. If you take away the games he hit a bunch of threes and just look at the games where he misses most of his threes he isn’t that good of a shooter.”

At least he doesn't compare him to Lofton like some were doing earlier.
Of late he just hasn't been putting them up. Maybe that's a good thing.
Do think he's one of our better defenders though. Fewer coma moments than a lot of the guys.

Bowden has a great jump shot from the elbow. He elevates really good. It does seem he's in a bit of a shooting slump but if the guy gets hot going forward you'll quickly forget this thread.

At least he doesn't compare him to Lofton like some were doing earlier.
Of late he just hasn't been putting them up. Maybe that's a good thing.
Do think he's one of our better defenders though. Fewer coma moments than a lot of the guys.

His defense is definitely what keeps him on the floor. He plays the way Barnes wants them to play. His shooting has regressed since January for sure. He needs to develop a mid range game in my opinion. He’s a streaky shooter and sometimes his shooting for the game depends on how is first couple of shots go. I don’t recall him shooting his way out of a cold streak during a game. Like start out missing his first 3 then hitting 3 in a row. Confidence is a big factor for Bowden.

His defense is definitely what keeps him on the floor. He plays the way Barnes wants them to play. His shooting has regressed since January for sure. He needs to develop a mid range game in my opinion. He’s a streaky shooter and sometimes his shooting for the game depends on how is first couple of shots go. I don’t recall him shooting his way out of a cold streak during a game. Like start out missing his first 3 then hitting 3 in a row. Confidence is a big factor for Bowden.

He's a very good defender. I think the rub is a player like Johnson, who is talented and able, can't get even a handful of minutes.

Bowden is a solid player, but I don't think he deserves 30 minutes a game. And, I don't think that's a knock on Bowden.
If Johnson had gotten 4-5 minutes a game, where would he be in his development?

He's a very good defender. I think the rub is a player like Johnson, who is talented and able, can't get even a handful of minutes.

Bowden is a solid player, but I don't think he deserves 30 minutes a game. And, I don't think that's a knock on Bowden.
If Johnson had gotten 4-5 minutes a game, where would he be in his development?

I think you’re gonna see Johnson compete for some of those minutes next year. Hopefully Bowden is pushed by him. Guarantee you he is gonna work his butt off to keep his minutes.

VN Store

Back