Both QB.s to play Saturday

Butch better get this situation under control. JG looks like he has checked out already.

No one has been rougher on CBJ than me. But if JG has already checked out then stop developing him and give his reps to McBride. There's no sense in developing someone to play for a different team.

Honestly though... it doesn't sound like that's happened. Hopefully Canales or someone ripped him a new one for acting that way and contributed to the development of a little humility and putting the team first.

Reactions: 2 people
Quote:
“JG (Guarantano) is going to have to always be ready play, and he’s going to have to always prepare and approach the game like he’s the starter and be ready to go in at the drop of a dime. We all know football turns really quickly.” --Scott

Tells me, he's our best #1 starting backup, thru week 1.

Good point, it also sounds like that he maybe isn't doing the film study and game prep that he is expected to do.

They can play two quarters each. The guy in there in the fourth quarter is probably just handing off to a freshman rb.

Our offense for 4 years has been praying busted plays gain yards. That's not a system.

You just stop right there, sir. What makes you think think its ok to come in here spouting truth all willy nilly?

Sometimes we planned for that bustiness. Didnt you ever notice our misdirection and confusion we caused with our read option. Yes some plays Dobbs and Hurd would freeze frame for second or two like two bloomindales spring sale mannequins, . This was genius for several reasons.

1. The ball was secreted between the two still-life, post snap afterbirths , about 15 yards behind the line of scrimmage, literally the last place anyone would look, and indeed if spotted, causes confusion, "inverse fake punt?!?" This combined with other avant garde non-footballish innovations such as the WR "Jazzani hands" would often plays against opponents learned behaviors and finely tuned instincts.

2. While conventional teams run delays or draw to confuse opponents with misdirectional blocking schemes, to allow OL to finish blocks, run counters, or the semblance of indicating passing situations. The vols take advantage differently. With the vols run game it was often hard to know which gaps would be open due to defender disinterest, and which were occupied by fallen, falling, exploding offensive lineman. At other times defenders would push their double team of OL so far into the backfield it was advantageous, and the delays gave time for dobbs/hurd to identify which lineman missed his assignment, standing there looking confused as a decoy, if the runner charged hard enough directly at his backside he could be activated, like a mindless golem, or scared pamplona bull, creating lanes of confusion. This was effective especially since the HUNO employed by Butch, would rush, rush, rush the team into thr execution of a tarded play that took so long to develop and seemed so non-footballish in its execution that defenders sometimes maybe thought they heard a whistle, or got tired of pushing soft orange bodies, or legitmately checked to see if Dobbs or Hurd had suffered a stroke.

3. Dobbs and Hurd themselves. At last we consider the two focal points of Butch's borderline iffy football innovation. As a quarterback who understood the physics of flight, spin and kinetic energies...Dobbs was strangely unable to harness those concepts in a manner that would propel football shaped objects in a forward, straight, or consistent manner. When you team up the hoyt wilhelm of quarterbacks with the baby huey of runningbacks, interesting developments can occur. The read option worked usually because the qb ran ten times better than the running back, and hurd resembled a non skill player to the point that it truly became misdirection. In fact he was so deceiving in his size and power, that after tackling him with stray fingers, tossed dirt clods, and the sonic force created by the sound of one hand clapping, defenders kinda forgot he was an offensive weapon altogether. A true trojan horse on the battlefield, Hurd employed a running style duplicated only when Kirk Herbstreits 12yo son recently ambled across MBS turf like a newborn deer of dubious lineage. When dobbs/hurd emerged from their mini-coma into read option pandemonium, you hardly ever knew what would happen. Unless you watched vols games, then you could possibly assume the following.......

4a. Sack for loss of about 10-15.
4b. Hurd run for loss of 5.
4c. Wobbly hurried pass hitting turf. Usually about 10 feet from LOS
4d. Interception by surprised DL or LB
4e. Qb keeper for sack of minus 5 yards.
4f. Muffed handoff, dobbs or hurd tries to fall on ball, turnover or loss of 5.
4g. Hurd running into fallen bodies, no gain.
4h. Hurd busting through middle for 2 yard gain.
4i. Long pass hitting streaking wide open receiver in back or heel of foot.
4j. Pass into double coverage or triple, interception or embarrassed defender shaking head.
4k. Dobbs run for touchdown
4l. (Least common) Kamara, Kelly, or other actual running back gains 10yds-TD on run or screen.

Of course this is only if the defender and Def coordinator is totally confused by the cluster*****ery of Butch's brand of read option. If they see througn the smokescreens of stupid, and "slow play" the read option appropriately, it can minimize outcomes 4k and 4l.

Reactions: 3 people
According to Jones... his system doesn't require a running QB. He's said that since he arrived. IIRC, he had success with a QB somewhat like QD at Cincy.

He's also said that he "tailors" his O to the strengths of his players... especially the QB.

Dormady throws the ball well. He didn't have a great game vs GT but still threw it well. He makes good decisions, manages the game well, and most of all... he apparently leads well. If you get a chance, listen to the first minute of John Kelly's most recent interview. He appears to LOVE Dormady. Then listen to Scott's interview concerning Dormady. I don't know if there's a little split between him and Jones over the QB's... but his praise of Dormady was pretty strong.

Anything can happen. But based on history one of two things will have to happen for JG to overtake QD. One, Dormady just plays so poorly they have to make a switch. Two, he gets injured. I don't suspect the first.

There is a third possibility... Jones could invite a QB controversy and split the team by trying to run a competition for the starting job into the season. That would be stupid.

It's not about the system, it's about the talent around the QB. I know Jones offense can succeed with a pocket QB. To succeed with a pocket QB the line must be able to protect and receivers must be able to get open and catch the ball. Thirdly, the qb must read the defense, calmly go through his reads, and deliver an accurate ball. I'm actually excited at what I saw out of Dormady game 1. I'm more worried about the line protecting him and the receivers getting open and catching the ball against better defenses than what tech offered. For these two reasons, I think JG may be a better fit for our offense. I think our talent is more suited to running the ball and featuring read option with your best read option qb. After FL and GA, we will know more about our offense and if the players around the QB are more suited to our traditional Dobbs type offense ( a run lean ) or if we truly have the talent on the line and at wr to feature more passing ( more balanced ) and a pocket qb.

You do realize the difference between NJ HSFB and the SEC, right? He has good speed but he isn't big. He'll need to bulk up like Dobbs did before taking a lot of punishment.

Or NJ HSFB and TX HSFB. People forget Dormady clocked the same 40 time out of HS as Dobbs did. He's plenty mobile, he's just not a run-first QB that Dobbs frequently had to be.

Everybody needs to calm down on Dormady. We're fine. If we're not JG will be the guy.

A red-shirt Junior is the absolute best scenario for a starting QB. You'd love to be able to plug a guy with that age, maturity, and time in the system in every two years...esecially one with the bonafides of QD. You can only hope your QB recruiting gets to that point. I'm willing to give Butch credit for that. We'll see if he can manage the freshman and the expectations of the fans nearly as well.

Reactions: 2 people
Or NJ HSFB and TX HSFB. People forget Dormady clocked the same 40 time out of HS as Dobbs did. He's plenty mobile, he's just not a run-first QB that Dobbs frequently had to be.

Everybody needs to calm down on Dormady. We're fine. If we're not JG will be the guy.

A red-shirt Junior is the absolute best scenario for a starting QB. You'd love to be able to plug a guy with that age, maturity, and time in the system in every two years...esecially one with the bonafides of QD. You can only hope your QB recruiting gets to that point. I'm willing to give Butch credit for that. We'll see if he can manage the freshman and the expectations of the fans nearly as well.

Once he calmed down and the receivers wash the butter off of their gloves Dormady's passing was much better.

Reactions: 1 person
Once he calmed down and the receivers wash the butter off of their gloves Dormady's passing was much better.

Yep. I have a hunch he's going to be big-time. That was a big stage on Monday night, against a highly regarded secondary. He was definitely rattled early, and not as sharp as we've seen before. I'd like to think the drops contributed, as did nerves. We'll see.

Give JG the mop-up time QD got last year. Get him ready, and if your starter doesn't show the crispness you've seen previously, then talk about sharing duties, or making a change.

I don't think that is the case tomorrow. I believe it's a promise for quality reps once the game is under control.

One QB will play 1st half and if the vols have a 4 TD lead the second QB plays the second half.

OR they play two different offensive styles at once and mix QBs accordingly. I wouldn't think that this is smart to disrupt the flow and timing of the offense by throwing different QBs and styles out there every other series.

One QB will play 1st half and if the vols have a 4 TD lead the second QB plays the second half.

OR they play two different offensive styles at once and mix QBs accordingly. I wouldn't think that this is smart to disrupt the flow and timing of the offense by throwing different QBs and styles out there every other series.

They aren't that different, and Butch has never shown throughout his career and tendency to do that.

He might, but it's doubtful in my opinion.

Mr. Just being Honest (Fade Route) has just labeled a Volunteer as a malcontent. And where does he get this information? Well, from TV talking heads. The player himself tweeted out his happiness on the recent win, but talking heads know more about what is going on in a young mans mind than the young man could possibly know. Therefore, crap heads on this thread can label him as a malcontent based upon a talking head's psychiatric evaluation of a young man he has never met or talked to. Guarantano will be just fine in spite of the fool, Mr. Just Being Honest, whom I'm quoting here.

If he was called on to play, do you actually think he knew the situation on the field, what down it is, etc? He was too busy acting like a prima donna to worry about trivial issues such as the game or his teammates. This also goes both ways. Unless you have met JG, how do you know he will be just fine?

So you would bench Dormady? That is exactly what it would be - bench the QB that helped win a double OT come from behind game against a good team.

What message does that send?

I don't think it sends any message as long as both players know at this point dormady is the starter week three. I agree that we need to see what is what with jg as a starter and what better team to do that against? It was clear that dormady has what it takes to be the starter but if you have been telling a guy all camp he was going to play and actually have a shot at starting then you need to play him in something other than second half mop up duty. Jmo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want to see both play meaningful snaps, but that won't happen. QD will start and JG gets mop up duty.

Even in mop up duty, I want to see JG have an opportunity to make reads and run the ball some. I also want to see him throw some balls both short and down the field.

Both need to play a lot to be ready. The schedule is brutal and our injury bug seems to be contagious.

Good point, it also sounds like that he maybe isn't doing the film study and game prep that he is expected to do.

I read it like that as well. He is the #2 guy, he needs to do what the next guy up should be doing.

May be an adjustment for him. Last year he could skimp on that - not this year.

Totally agree with this. When a team is having to play a true freshman or red-shirt freshman at QB that implies there is no depth or previous recruits were a complete bust.

Maturity in the system, maturity working, even if only in practice, with the guys that are lining up with you cannot be under-estimated.

We are playing a FCS team, I would hope both QBs get playing time. I hope Butch let's QD get some time with those receivers before trying out JG though. He was really clicking at the end of the GT game.

I actually would consider starting Garauntano, as good as Dormady was. Just see how he responds as the starter. Gives Jones more data to consider going into UF

Why would you bench the starter? Give Dormady a couple of series, then let Guarantano run the offense for the rest of the game. This gets QD reps with the 1s against a live defense while also getting JG gametime reps. No need to sit QD, he still needs to build that timing with the 1s that he started developing late in the Georgia Tech game.

Why would you bench the starter? Give Dormady a couple of series, then let Guarantano run the offense for the rest of the game. This gets QD reps with the 1s against a live defense while also getting JG gametime reps. No need to sit QD, he still needs to build that timing with the 1s that he started developing late in the Georgia Tech game.

Plus, with the injuries at receiver, you need the young guys taking passes in a game situation from the guy who will be doing that the next week.

If he was called on to play, do you actually think he knew the situation on the field, what down it is, etc? He was too busy acting like a prima donna to worry about trivial issues such as the game or his teammates. This also goes both ways. Unless you have met JG, how do you know he will be just fine?
Another person with a special gift to read a Vol player's mind from their living room TV set. Vol Nation is full of these gifted. Who knew?

Sitting on the sidelines chewing his fingernails like he was the coolest person in stadium is not being game ready. Would you want to bet he did not know what down they were on, field position, etc.
That's funny. I suspect that virtually every Vol fan was chewing fingernails during that game. The way it unfolded; it just kind of lent itself to that vigorous chewing activity.

I agree completely.
You don't know how the car performs until you give it a test drive. Dormady did fine for a first start, but still need to see what JG's got. Could also strategically help us with Florida making them prepair for two different styles.

This is a tuneup game. You tuneup your STARTER...not his backup. Florida will prepare for Dormady no matter how much JG plays.

Reactions: 3 people
I actually would consider starting Garauntano, as good as Dormady was. Just see how he responds as the starter. Gives Jones more data to consider going into UF

And give our offense chemistry issues. Our offense got into a great groove last week in the 2nd half. Why even mess with that momentum by purposely changing personnel. That is a idiotic idea.

Only way JG should see snaps with the first team is if QD is injured (Lord Forbid) or if we get to a 4th or 5th series in the first half. Absolutely no reason to mess with mojo of our first team offense after they came back last week.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back