Bobby Maze filing lawsuit?

I wonder what the powers that be in the NCAA would do if a player or parent of said player were to secure all the professional use rights much like racer car drivers do and sign their agreement as within the frame work of not infringing on my legal rights already established. Just a thought, but something tells me is the parent had the forsight to gain the earning potiential of those rights the NCAA would what rule the kid inillegable enev if they just refused to sign the rights over to them. You guys might laugh it off but one of these days a judge is going to look at this issue just like the judge that ruled in favor of the first pro athlete that brought this type suit and he ruled in favor of the athlete. Someday one of these judges in going to rule in favor of the Maze's against the NCAA on this issue and when it happens oh what a changing it will be. I don't expect it will get far but depends on the judge and the circut.

Why should the NCAA force players to sign away their likeness for life? The only possible explanation is money. If this is all about money, then you can't fault Maze for trying to get his piece of the pie. I don't know why anyone would be against this. EA does nothing for the players, and use their likeness to make money, seems normal that the players would want to be compensated. The tuition, fees, etc. that Maze received from the University have nothing to do with this.

This has already been done in the past. I forgot the former player but he successfully sued and won his case based on the fact that player names were on the backs of jerseys then. thats why they arent now.

Loophole or not, they HAVE to format the game to allow such rosters. They could easily prevent it;if they wanted to.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I hate this argument. Suing because EA and Athletic departments are making money off of student athletes. This is crazy, until a walk-on sues I think that student athletes get "paid" in other ways in which other students cannot.

I don't blame him.

I agree. Why should someone else make money off of their talent without their permission and/or compensating them. It's the athlete's work effort, talent, and skills that they are making money off of if the athlete is successful. Now how much they are compensated as a pro is another issue which I think is ridculous, however, the market dictates what those guys make. Unfortunately, fans end up paying the salaries through tickets, attendance, and merchandising. By the same token, we can choose not to support them--vicious circle.:whistling:

I don't blame Maze so much, but the ambulance chaser will get half of the settlement, if there is one. People who buy these games will pay more if he gets a huge settlement.

In a law suit, does the plaintiff have to prove they suffered damages or injuries by the defendant? I don't see how this passes that test, but apparently some lawyer does. Of course I wouldn't think that the govt. can force us to involuntarily buy something, but it seems they are getting away with it.

EA should write its game so that real time rosters, created by 3rd parties will not load and function properly. Properly, in this instance, meaning the names of the athletes matches their likeness'. If someone wants to play as Tyler Bray in a video game, TB should be allowed to collect on that. By leaving the back-door open(ie. well known that you can load the rosters), they look like they're double-talking.

Interesting how players who are worth a damn don't seem to have a problem with it.
Isn't that the truth. I'm waiting for the class-action law suit where the only ones that make money will be the lawyers as usual. Once again there are lawyers and there are those people that think they are lawyers.

Everyone makes a ton of money off these kids, yet the NCAA doesn't allow them to get a car ride around town without considering it an extra benefit. It's really hard to blame them for being upset and wanting to get some of the profits too.

Old argument, and it still fails.

VN Store

Back