Bob Shoop headed to Miss. St at their DC

I think he was a fine DC, but he, like others on the staff, had fundamental differences about Butch's philosophy. Hoke even revealed that he didn't like Butch's policy of little or no contact in practice after Wednesday (If I remember correctly). Personally, I think it made us soft, like Hoke. There were no doubt concerns from BS as well. Good news is that MSU will get a solid DC and UT will again put some physicality in those storm troopers! :rock:
View attachment 150656

We hear this so often but the fact is it isn't true and its entirely based on individual teams, sometimes even from year to year.

I've been on state championship teams that never went full speed when the starters were on defense and on teams that didn't win one game that would go full contact until 5 minutes before game time.

Pete Carrol said it best about his best USC team not going full pads nearly the entire year. If a team knows how to play, how to hit, and how to work, you don't need full contact. But it takes a great coach to recognize if his team is capable of that or not.

And honestly, with the kind of injuries this team had? Butch was smart in that regard to not kill his players.

Reactions: 3 people
I would say that Stoops downfall is that he was hired in with Butch's staff all around him. When you are hamstrung with the likes of Willie Martinez, you are bound to be in trouble. This year, he was screwed because we were the kings of 3 and outs. that poor defense spent 2/3 of the game on the field.

Reactions: 3 people
You guys are still making excuses for Shoop. The only thing I noticed aside from the record number of 500+ yard games against us was our focus upon generating turnovers by stripping instead of tackling. I will be watching him but I am willing to bet they decline in performance. Vandy and Penn St improved after he left, well Vandy did when Mason took over play calling on D.

Reactions: 1 person
Jones was NOT a fault for the defensive problems. Sorry but he wasn't. The DC before Shoop was better. Shoop was a big fail. Yes injuries also played a role. It amazes me how you want to blame the HC for everything that went wrong and at the same time praise them and only them for anything that was good.

I believe his defense relies on a certain type of athlete which Tennessee did not have nor recruit. Does MSU have that type of athlete? We'll see. Maybe he will redeem himself but given the schedule will include the west schools - probably not likely.

Bet he couldn't get out of Knoxville fast enough. I don't know what went wrong here with him, but it went way wrong. I have a strong suspicion that we will see the true Shoop defense on display at MSU.

We hear this so often but the fact is it isn't true and its entirely based on individual teams, sometimes even from year to year.

I've been on state championship teams that never went full speed when the starters were on defense and on teams that didn't win one game that would go full contact until 5 minutes before game time.

Pete Carrol said it best about his best USC team not going full pads nearly the entire year. If a team knows how to play, how to hit, and how to work, you don't need full contact. But it takes a great coach to recognize if his team is capable of that or not.

And honestly, with the kind of injuries this team had? Butch was smart in that regard to not kill his players.

Exactly. If the team has been going full contact and injuries occurred everyone would have complained about injuries occurring in practice.

I do agree the team appeared soft - but I don't believe going full contact necessary makes a player tough. A lot of that has to do with the attitude of the player.

I never saw any improvement in our defense especially with our D Line & Linebackers. Granted we had tons of injuries but so did everyone else. With that being said, good luck to Coach Shoop. Hope he does well.

He'll probably do great again. Wonder why it was so difficult here.

probably because he was not allowed to bring his guys with him and the fact that he was probably not given the full reins to do as we wished.

Nobody will run on Mississippi st!

Has that been said!?😬

Had such high hopes for Shoop and really thought we would turn the corner into an elite defensive unit under him. Little did I think that we would long for the days of Jancek once he got into Knoxville.

Too many factors playing against him, some of his own doing and some beyond his control. He will do well at Mississippi State because he will be allowed to form the old Penn State crew again and run his own defensive scheme.

Idk, I think Bob got Botched too. PSU didn't seem to miss a lick when he left though. I hope he does well as long as it doesn't impact us.

Shoop the most overrated coordinator ever whose defense was the worst ever at UT.

Shoop the most overrated coordinator ever whose defense was the worst ever at UT.

Believers in Shoop will say it was not his fault ignoring the fact that both schools got better after he left.

I'm betting those working with him at Vandy and PSU were the real deal and his time at Tennessee exposed that.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back