Bob Kesling

Grew up with Ward whom I loved, but I like Bob well enough. As mentioned before, he tends to leave out details.

I was driving for work a couple of years back and his call of a series basically went like this:

"Tennessee at the 15, they hand off right for no gain. Second down pass across the middle for 5 yard gain. Third down, QB can't find anyone open and throws it away, that brings up fourth down and they will. . ."

Punt, kick a field goal? Bob I have no idea which 15 yard line they started on. He also went nearly the entire quarter without giving the score

Reactions: VolDave53
Bob Kesling needs to be replaced on the Tennessee football and men's basketball games. I would allow him to keep hosting the coaches shows. Pretty much every team in the SEC has a better play by play announcer than Bob Kesling.

Reactions: Catbone and Vfl2407
Bob Kesling needs to be replaced on the Tennessee football and men's basketball games. I would allow him to keep hosting the coaches shows. Pretty much every team in the SEC has a better play by play announcer than Bob Kesling.
I've always been kind of surprised that he seems to be a better basketball announcer than football. Basketball seems like a much harder sport to call than football.

I can actually paint a picture in my head of what is happening with his basketball calls. Can't do that with football. His football calls are just not very detailed or descriptive, plus he goes way too long without mentioning the score/clock.

I've always been kind of surprised that he seems to be a better basketball announcer than football. Basketball seems like a much harder sport to call than football.

I can actually paint a picture in my head of what is happening with his basketball calls. Can't do that with football. His football calls are just not very detailed or descriptive, plus he goes way too long without mentioning the score/clock.
I would like to see Tim Priest go also,i get sick of his seeming voice of doom schtick during the football broadcasts.:( It always sounds like Bob and Tim are the opposing team's biggest homers and cheerleaders!:rolleyes:

Reactions: UT_Dutchman
I would like to see Tim Priest go also,i get sick of his seeming voice of doom schtick during the football broadcasts.:( It always sounds like Bob and Tim are the opposing team's biggest homers and cheerleaders!:rolleyes:
To be fair to Tim, he (and the rest of Vol Nation) has witnessed quite a bit of doom on the gridiron over the past decade.

I like Priest. He brings the analysis of a former player, but also says things that a fan of the team would, and as @HollowaytoSeivers said, there honestly hasn't been much good to talk about over the last decade.

One point---As of September 2018, UT pays Bob about 114,202 per year as Communications Director/Media Director. Not a bad income, but not quite "huge sums of money":

UT employee salaries

Keep in mind that the list you linked reflects Kesling's salary through the listed positions at UT. He is paid separately for his play-by-play and related duties through IMG, which owns the Vol Network.

I think Bob is pretty darned good at basketball. Bertelkamp is an excellent addition. Those two may be one of the best broadcast teams in all of college basketball.

On the football side, Bob is terrible. He's just not good. I appreciate his professionalism and I would rather listen to him than a lot of other broadcasters in college sports, but that doesn't change the fact that his calls are bland, unenthused, lack description, etc. He's a super nice guy, an all-around good guy who tries to do things the right way...he's just not a good football play-by-play guy.

I like Bob in Basketball. He is more emotional for TN than he is in football for some reason.

I am not sure why he is so dead set to play the straight man in the commentary duo but he does. He’s just the facts, little emotion, let Bert and Tim say what the rest of us are thinking. But he’s not an ESPN announcer calling the game, he works for the school. Show some sort of emotion. Get vaguely excited when we score. Some of the basketball games I thought Bert might stroke out on live radio while Bob was sticking to the “a game of basketball is occurring in front of us” tactic.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Bob always sounds like a homer for the other team;)
I think he would be better if he would allow himself to demonstrate some passion for the Vols on occasion. There seems to be something in the Knox media that has the belief that having some passion for the home team demonstrates the lack of professionalism in journalism. Other schools do not have that line that shall not be crossed.

I think he would be better if he would allow himself to demonstrate some passion for the Vols on occasion. There seems to be something in the Knox media that has the belief that having some passion for the home team demonstrates the lack of professionalism in journalism. Other schools do not have that line that shall not be crossed.
I hope Bob decides to retire sometime very soon;)

Reactions: PandamoniumReigns
Bob never stood a chance having to fill John Ward's shoes. However, having said that, he's just not entertaining. That's the one thing we got with John Ward, you felt like he was reading a book to you. You could visualize what was happening and it was so entertaining to listen to. I find Bob dull, dry and boring to listen to.

Reactions: VolDave53

VN Store

Back