Bob Kesling

Personally, I think Bob is by far better at calling basketball games than he is at football games. Really think he is pretty good at basketball. His biggest downfall with both is how infrequently he gives score updates on the game.

Ward was even better in basketball. Going solo was quite impressive.

Reactions: feathersax
If you think Bob is bad, listen to the other SEC guys. The USC guy sounds like he is constipated.

Bob isnt that bad. Besides , all the games are on TV anyways.

Reactions: UTNoFear
I personally enjoy listening to Mike Keith call a football more so than Kessling. That said Kessling does a good job calling basketball games. I've never heard Mike Keith call a basketball game. Kessling does do a good job representing Tennessee. When we start winning more football games I bet Kessling won't get near as much grief from the fans. I have more patience and a better sense of humor when we putting up W's.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Even on his worst day Kesling is still better that’s uga’s drunk announcer Larry Mushmouth. We were spoiled with the ability, charisma, and style of Ward. Imagine being an uga fan and looking back longingly at that obnoxious idiot.

That’s said, with the addition of To’oto’o and Akporoghene, Kesling is likely to become a day drinker himself. Can’t wait for his version of those names!! 😎😎

My issues with BK do not involve any doubts he loves TN. From the start though, there are repeated calls that go like this..." Doe takes the handoff from Smith and turns the corner....breaks one tackle and gets out to the forty for a gain of six. Brings up second and eight from the thirty seven." One automatically does the math in their head and well you've probably been there.

Personally, I think Bob is by far better at calling basketball games than he is at football games. Really think he is pretty good at basketball. His biggest downfall with both is how infrequently he gives score updates on the game.
BINGO! Also, he often gushes over Vol opponents while trying to be "fair". But after listening to clowns like Eli Gold from Bama & South Carolina announcers, Bob's pretty good.

Reactions: UT_Dutchman
I think the problem most people have with Bob is all the mistakes he makes. Yes, he's human, humans make mistakes. But, Bob chronically mispronounces names, mistakes UTs opponents for other teams, gives misinformation, doesn't update score and time remaining very often (so listeners have no idea what is going on) and gets confused often. No one is critical of his love for UT. He is all Vol. But, so am I and I know I would suck much worse.....

Mickey, on the other hand, is opposite of Bob. He has zero to little emotion. Very monotone like. But, Mickey does a nice job of giving us the facts. Who UT is playing, who has the ball, gives us the score frequently, let's us know of time of clock frequently. Mickey is more in tune with what is actual and factual within each game rather than distracted by all the other nonsense....

Just some insight....

Reactions: FallCreekVols
your comment about Kamikaze (pilots) makes me wonder...why did they wear helmets???

It was part of the radio apparatus equipment. They used it for directing target assignments and final reports to their base superiors before death. Which was usually some battle cry, curse, or just a scream. They were desperate, crazy, but brave bazzards. Yeah, I know it was a joking comment and it was funny, I chuckled. I just happen to have a respect for "soldiers." They all put up with the possibility of their mission being their last one. Further having at times to obey stupid half-assed orders that make no strategic or any other kind of sense. And then there's the dreaded rear guard, all or nothing, and last stand scenario. Your post was funny all the same. Told it to Shirley and she giggled.

However, YOU missed your chance. OP's statement: "I'd rather fly my plane into a battleship (Kamikaze) then listen to that mono tone fool." Implies either immortality, invulnerability, or a complete lack of awareness of what an exploding plane plus the kinetic force of hitting a solid object at several 100's mph does to a human body. Either that or he knows a level of magic nothing mortal can ever match. Sure, it was a typo but just as funny. VN can be a real riot of fun but what makes it rich is lots of times it's unintentional. Classic Buster Keatonesque.
grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes_1f601.png

Yeah I always thought it was pretty obvious Bob seems more into calling basketball.

Here was a Bob Kessling call back in 2003, "Clausen, long pass into the end zone...Mark Jones...he's got it! Touchdown Tennessee! Mark Jones catches the ball for a touchdown! Tennessee will not get ready for the extra point. Here comes Wilhoit on to--Oh wait, no, they said he dropped it. Pass incomplete, it's 4th down."
John Ward missed the Notre Dame FG call. So?

Having to endure listening to Mickey Dearstone call a UT Lady's vol game leaves me with this, Bob makes mistakes I agree, but his passion for UT can never be doubted. The man has so much passion for his Orange and shows it whether UT football or Men's basketball. The Man is UT through and through and loves his Vols and his emotions show it. He's no John Ward but who is. If you wanna hear the voice of the lady vols then tune in to a robot called Mickey Dearstone......... You'll get the point. Bob has faults, as we all do but this man does a great job. Those that hate him, let's hear you call a game...... You'd be Laughed out of the stadium. Sure he makes mistakes on names but considering some of the names he has to pronounce, I'll give him a pass. This man loves the orange and for nothing else he deserves your respect. Doubt me listen to Mickey Dearstone and ask yourself if you wanted to hear him do UT football. I'd rather fly my plane into a battleship (Kamikaze) then listen to that mono tone fool. Bob does a great job even if he makes mistakes. Examine your life, let's see how perfect you are. Be glad you have a man that shows emotion, loves his vols, and gives his time and effort to call both football and basketball. Treasure the man instead of tearing him down.

I'd love to hear his detractors on the radio and hear them make complete fools of themselves. Go ahead and bash but be glad Bob is on the mike, the man does a great job considering following a legend. Stepping off the soap box.

Nice post. I think Bob does a great job.

Reactions: vettefool
One point---As of September 2018, UT pays Bob about 114,202 per year as Communications Director/Media Director. Not a bad income, but not quite "huge sums of money":

UT employee salaries

I know this is off topic, but I found this link pretty interesting. It shows Coach Pruitt has a base salary of $275k, so I am just curious as to what makes up the remainder of his pay. I am just curious and have no idea how these contracts work, so any info is appreciated.

I like Bob and Bert. Just feels like home when I listen.

Doesn’t matter who followed Ward, they would never get a fair shake.

Sortta like a certain women's basketball coach... But as this one has turned out a "fair shake" has gone on too long.

The botching of player names isn't what gets me with Bob. He just does such a poor job of painting a picture for the listener. I know his predecessor was one of the greatest ever at doing that, but Bob could be a lot better. Other radio announcers, even if they are homers and annoying, give you so much more detail and you can kind of picture how the play occurred in your head. You can't do that with Bob.

For example, a typical Kesling call is "Chandler takes the handoff, running room! To the 10, to the cheggarboards!" When you watch the highlight after the game, you then see that Chandler got the handoff and initially tried to run inside, but there wasn't running room. He then bounced it outside, broke a tackle at the 25, made a guy miss at the 15, then went into the end zone. You get no detailed description from Bob, just what type of play it is at the beginning and then the result after it is over.

This is how it is done:

I know this is off topic, but I found this link pretty interesting. It shows Coach Pruitt has a base salary of $275k, so I am just curious as to what makes up the remainder of his pay. I am just curious and have no idea how these contracts work, so any info is appreciated.

iu

A group of fans spoiled by the GOAT play by play guy and all around UT ambassador. There will never be another John Ward. Get used to it.

VN Store

Back