Bob Kesling

Radio just isn't what it used to be. There just aren't many John Ward, Larry Munson types left. Kesling is fine. He just feels watered down.

Spend a few minutes listening to Todd Ellis at SC or Scott Howard at UGA and you'll appreciate Kesling.
Can't argue with that. Those two are horrid.

I can't stand to listen to kesling but I quit listening to him a few years ago he may have gotten better I stopped because I heard too many down-and-distance errors in football like he gained 6 yards and it's 2nd and 6 or I drove 50 miles during a basketball game and you never gave a score update but I'm sure he's better now

Radio just isn't what it used to be. There just aren't many John Ward, Larry Munson types left. Kesling is fine. He just feels watered down.

Spend a few minutes listening to Todd Ellis at SC or Scott Howard at UGA and you'll appreciate Kesling.
Bingo.

I can't stand to listen to kesling but I quit listening to him a few years ago he may have gotten better I stopped because I heard too many down-and-distance errors in football like he gained 6 yards and it's 2nd and 6 or I drove 50 miles during a basketball game and you never gave a score update but I'm sure he's better now
punctuationisyourfriend

Reactions: VolDave53 and TAD
I just feel like at times Bob gets as much/equally excited when the opposing team has success as when we do.

I just feel like at times Bob gets as much/equally excited when the opposing team has success as when we do.
Might be that Kesling was once an impartial TV guy calling syndicated games. His inclination is to just tell you what he saw.

Reactions: TheBigOne10
He's had 20 years practice at. I tried to listen to him during his first two years and gave up. I catch bits and pieces of his broadcast from time to time and see no improvements. And, yes, there will never be another like "Voice of the Vols".
Well he’s not great but if our football team had been top notch he might been considered pretty good. I don’t know how Bama fans stand Gold. It’s Because they’ve been great.

I like Bob, but the bar is very low if we’re comparing him to a fan’s ability to jump in and call a game. That’s like saying Pruitt’s an awesome coach because I couldn’t do it.

You repeated the same thing over and over. Your long diatribe could have been summed up in 3 or 4 sentences. Now, what were you saying?
John Ward was an artist, painting a picture for those without the benefit of seeing the game on TV as most of the games were not telecast. Bob thinks everyone can see it, even if his job is radio, and does not paint a picture. (unless you consider Picasso as art) :cool:

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
And John Ward corrected his mistake within a second. The point I was making, is that Kesling took about 10 seconds to realize that the pass was incomplete. And this is not an isolated incident with Kesling, it happens almost weekly.
Ummm if that was a second, you’re roughly 2.5 years old

Having to endure listening to Mickey Dearstone call a UT Lady's vol game leaves me with this, Bob makes mistakes I agree, but his passion for UT can never be doubted. The man has so much passion for his Orange and shows it whether UT football or Men's basketball. The Man is UT through and through and loves his Vols and his emotions show it. He's no John Ward but who is. If you wanna hear the voice of the lady vols then tune in to a robot called Mickey Dearstone......... You'll get the point. Bob has faults, as we all do but this man does a great job. Those that hate him, let's hear you call a game...... You'd be Laughed out of the stadium. Sure he makes mistakes on names but considering some of the names he has to pronounce, I'll give him a pass. This man loves the orange and for nothing else he deserves your respect. Doubt me listen to Mickey Dearstone and ask yourself if you wanted to hear him do UT football. I'd rather fly my plane into a battleship (Kamikaze) then listen to that mono tone fool. Bob does a great job even if he makes mistakes. Examine your life, let's see how perfect you are. Be glad you have a man that shows emotion, loves his vols, and gives his time and effort to call both football and basketball. Treasure the man instead of tearing him down.

I'd love to hear his detractors on the radio and hear them make complete fools of themselves. Go ahead and bash but be glad Bob is on the mike, the man does a great job considering following a legend. Stepping off the soap box.

He may be UT through and through but he is the absolute WORST. I haven’t listened to a UT broadcast since 99 and as long as he is calling a game, I never will.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
I’ll admit it was immediate. He still blew the call. He blew lots of calls, gave wrong credit a lot and was always behind.

I loved John Ward. He’s almost solely responsible for why I went into broadcast journalism, even though I found my home ultimately on the production side. Met him twice, both times getting to have extensive conversations with him. Even better person than play caller. But, like every single living broadcaster (even Vin Scully, the GOAT), he made goofs every broadcast. But his legend has made him some unattainable figure for anyone, himself included.

I’ll admit it was immediate. He still blew the call. He blew lots of calls, gave wrong credit a lot and was always behind.

I loved John Ward. He’s almost solely responsible for why I went into broadcast journalism, even though I found my home ultimately on the production side. Met him twice, both times getting to have extensive conversations with him. Even better person than play caller. But, like every single living broadcaster (even Vin Scully, the GOAT), he made goofs every broadcast. But his legend has made him some unattainable figure for anyone, himself included.

I've listened to dozens of John Ward's called games. He didn't screw up nearly as much as Kesling, and you always knew where the ball was with him. With Kesling, you don't know if the ball is at the 40 or the 15 half the time. And yes, Ward often was behind a few seconds on the call, but that is not a problem with radio. He often did it to play up the moment to make a classic call, like my all-time favorite call of his, during the 1998 Arkansas game. Just a simple play where Tee Martin runs for a 1st down, breaking a tackle - "Martin keeps, struggles inside, has the ball at the 10, crawling at the 9, lunging at the 7, diving at the 6, he's down at the 5!" Now, the play was over long before John Ward finished, but that was such an epic call, and really perfectly captured Tee Martin's determination on that play.

I don't expect Kesling to be as good as John Ward, but he's not even close.

Vol fans were spoiled with Mr Ward, but Bob has IMHO done a great job. Living in Bama I probally listen to him more than most on the board, and hands down I'd rather listen to Bob over any commentators on ESPN or CBS, sorry I dont get SEC Network but would still choose Bob over the SEC Newtwork.. Would anyone that slams him do a better job? I'd love to see some of his detractors try to do his job. Jerks are always going to be jerks and they always complain. Always so much easier to tear someone down for something you can never do. Same goes for arm chair quarterbacks, (biggest hit on JG) easier to tear down and not see the progress this splendid athlete has made but they choose to tear him down. Sorry, but some people are pathetic.

Reactions: davethevol
Sorry, Listening from Alabama, Bob does a great job and i normally turn down the anouncers. pause to the and try to sync bob calling the game. Bob does a great job and anyone who doesn't acknowledge it is a moron. The man has passion, Shows the public he can make all the calls. You people that hate on him amuse me. Call a game, lets hear you do better! The word Jerks come to mind. So easy to tear others down when you could never do their job. A&&holes..... thats the word I have for you!
You're not very nice Mrs. Kesling

VN Store

Back