Bob Kesling

I don't like him because my ex use to work somewhere Bob would frequently visit. He's a very rude person, especially if something doesn't go his way. I've heard numerous stories of how he talks down to people when he's not pretending. His announcing is sub par at best. I can't wait for him to retire.
I would like Mike Keith to be the voice of Tennessee football and basketball when Bob steps down:cool:

I don't like him because my ex use to work somewhere Bob would frequently visit. He's a very rude person, especially if something doesn't go his way. I've heard numerous stories of how he talks down to people when he's not pretending. His announcing is sub par at best. I can't wait for him to retire.
I've heard the same. I have a friend who had physical therapy at the same place that Blob went. He said he was rude and presented himself as better than others.

Of course, if my friend was describing his experience the same way Blob describes a game, then that entire story is innacurate.

I met him very briefly one time, he seemed genuine and personable. I like his play call better than many I have heard.

His call of the game winning hail mary....SUCKED. Here we have an iconic, historic moment in UT football history, and the dude announces it in the tone like a guy who is pleasantly surprised to find out the breakfast buffet has extra pancakes.

Instead of getting a classic call like John Ward used to give, we get "What a surprising turn of events!".

Are you kidding me?
If I were an announcer for the Vol Network, I’ll get fired after losing my sh*t on the radio following a huge play like that or a bad refs call

Bob isn't that bad compared to other college announcers. He was definitely in a no win situation though. No one was going to follow John Ward and win or even tie in that comparison. Mr. Ward was simply the best.
It wasnt a no win situation. Yes, he would be compared to John Ward. But Blob could have made his own legend. He could've followed someone like me and he would still suck at his job.

If I messed up at my job even half as much as his, I would've been canned years ago.

His call of the game winning hail mary....SUCKED. Here we have an iconic, historic moment in UT football history, and the dude announces it in the tone like a guy who is pleasantly surprised to find out the breakfast buffet has extra pancakes.

Instead of getting a classic call like John Ward used to give, we get "What a surprising turn of events!".

Are you kidding me?
Things must be great for UTAD ...if you're reduced to complaining about a 4-5 year old call on the radio......Holy Cow!!!
If you dislike Kessling that much I would bet you weren't even listening to him in the first place

Reactions: Tarkus
Listened to the first half of the first game he called. I haven't listened to a game on the radio since.

He is the absolute worst and it's not close.

Reactions: PandamoniumReigns
It wasnt a no win situation. Yes, he would be compared to John Ward. But Blob could have made his own legend. He could've followed someone like me and he would still suck at his job.

If I messed up at my job even half as much as his, I would've been canned years ago.
Everyone is entitled to his opinion but I don't think Bob is that bad compared to the guys at other schools. I would take Bob over Mick Hubert at Florida or for that matter Eli Gold at Alabama. That guy's voice makes my skin crawl. I would also take Bob over some guys that are considered legends like Larry Munson or Jack Cristil. Bob isn't perfect but if you're familiar with other college announcers, he isn't that bad.

Reactions: jarnol32
I just want to know if anyone else notices how he butchers the word Tennessee on a regular basis. I truly didn’t notice it until my wife pointed it out, and I can’t pick it up every time although she says she can. It is a really weird pronunciation. I can’t quite spell it out but it is almost as if he says Tenynulsee.

John Ward is dead. Unless we have a zombie apocalypse and he comes out of the grave he won’t be back to call any games.....
That being said it wouldn’t of mattered who replaced him they never would’ve been as good as him, so get over it it and stop beating a dead horse.

Everybody has their own style, it being we're not clones. At least not at this particular time in history. Some styles you're going to like, some you won't. I liked watching the quirky TV show "Dark Shadows" but other people hated it. Normally, I dislike horror movie but was fascinated by the movie "The Redeemer." Nearly all my friends couldn't stand that film. It's all a matter of taste and sometimes there just isn't any accounting for it. Bob is Bob, John is John and neither one is Keith Jackson or Gus Johnson. And I just call it the way I see it which some may or may not appreciate.

Not too shabby. But he would have been more impressive with a monster kid like Mike Portnoy or Mike Mangini might use.

Signed, A long time Dream Theater fan.

Edit: A Dark Shadows fan? You know, Woodsman? You might not be as bad as I thought. Loved that show back in the day. Got home from school just in time. Hated it being cancelled.

Last edited:
John Ward is dead. Unless we have a zombie apocalypse and he comes out of the grave he won’t be back to call any games.....
That being said it wouldn’t of mattered who replaced him they never would’ve been as good as him, so get over it it and stop beating a dead horse.

Oh, I disagree. In time, a Mike Keith might have proven to become better than John Ward. But they hired a guy who had a long established history of being a letdown, and he has lived up to his reputation. And the dead horse is the Vol Network; for those of us who demand better. And I continue to boycott the sponsors until a change is made as I have since 1999.

Oh, I disagree. In time, a Mike Keith might have proven to become better than John Ward. But they hired a guy who had a long established history of being a letdown, and he has lived up to his reputation. And the dead horse is the Vol Network; for those of us who demand better. And I continue to boycott the sponsors until a change is made as I have since 1999.
No offense to anyone who likes him for sure. But Mike Keith annoys me... just think he has too much Contrived yelling. Just my opinion, Lol

Wow. You boycott the sponsors?

Reactions: TNnative
The only ones who mention John Ward on here are the Blob Slurpers. Then they say "Ward is Dead". It doesn't matter who Blob followed...he sucks at his job and its evident he has no desire to improve.

Nobody is saying "Bring Back Ward".

All we are saying is "Go Away Bob".

Bob isn't that bad compared to other college announcers. He was definitely in a no win situation though. No one was going to follow John Ward and win or even tie in that comparison. Mr. Ward was simply the best.
I mean when you are comparing yourself to crap, do really feel better that you are still crap?

I mean when you are comparing yourself to crap, do really feel better that you are still crap?
So, you should always compare yourself only to people who are better than you so you'll always lose the comparison? No one is saying Bob is the best announcer in college football but he certainly isn't the worst as some people would infer.

VN Store

Back