Bob Kesling

CBS gave us an opportunity to hear Munson's hobnail boot call, and a few minutes later, we heard Bob's call of yesterday's finish.

As I listened to Munson, I thought about how unprofessional it was. Then when they played Bob's call, I appreciated Kesling even more.

Some of us prefer professionalism to a homer.

I feel ya!

Yeah - I appreciate Bob's relative stoicism. I actually can't stand Mike Keith's over the top manufactured enthusiasm.

However, Bob is awful at the most important part of play by play: explaining what the heck is going on. Down, distance, position on the field, players involved, time remaining, time outs left, etc. These are the things that should make a radio play by play guy's job easy. You can fill up 80% of the time by just constantly explaining these things to the audience. Just keep hammering home what the heck is going on, yet they all seem secondary for Bob. He honestly seems to have a low football iq and misses a lot of what's happening.

Reactions: 1 person
Yeah - I appreciate Bob's relative stoicism. I actually can't stand Mike Keith's over the top manufactured enthusiasm.

However, Bob is awful at the most important part of play by play: explaining what the heck is going on. Down, distance, position on the field, players involved, time remaining, time outs left, etc. These are the things that should make a radio play by play guy's job easy. You can fill up 80% of the time by just constantly explaining these things to the audience. Just keep hammering home what the heck is going on, yet they all seem secondary for Bob. He honestly seems to have a low football iq and misses a lot of what's happening.

But you have to give him credit for one thing, Hes a TN VOL just like us! I had the privledge of getting to talk to Bob back in 2001 when Syracuse was in town. And I learned that his passion for everything TN, is second to none! Ill be the first to admit, that hes no John Ward, but if you think about it, who is?! As long as its someone calling our games, that really loves the state of TN and our Vols, ill listen to him every Saturday. Bob is a VFL that has showed his loyalty to TN for a long time. Go Vols! 🍊🍊

Last edited:
I thought Kesling's call was spot on. I have absolutely no problem with it.

What is most important is that he gave you the immediate result of the play. There is nothing worse than some play-by-play announcer yelling and going crazy into the mic and never telling you exactly what happened.

Like a lot of things on here, the cool thing to do is pile onto Kesling (like piling into our OC when we are averaging 36 points per game in SEC play). So that is what the sheep do. Pile onto Kesling.

No we are not piling on. I jumped off the pile long ago. In fact, I swore off listening to the Vol Network while the World Trade Center was still standing.

But we are objecting to having to hear his drivel on the television. Bob has been boring since he was reporting sports on a local TV station. When Ward announced he was retiring, we hoped whoever did the hiring would find a replacement who would keep us making listening to the broadcast a priority. Instead, they gave it to Bob, and the tradition of proudly listening to our own announcer is dying. That is not piling on. That is just sad.

I have no idea who sponsors the Vol network. But if we say nothing, we never get an electric announcer who makes the call and stirs our emotions.

BTW, you understanding of sheep tells me the folks at Progressive Farmer have never had your address. Sheep piling on? LMAO.

Reactions: 4 people
While I criticized Bob above, I finally got around to listening to the the UT and UGA calls and I have no idea what most of you are talking about. Bob's call is fine here and I much prefer it to the UGA broadcast.

Bob shows plenty of emotion. The screaming and squealing of the UGA announcers when UGA scored in unbearable.

Do you usually continue to post in a thread ad nauseum?

yep he does........I first met Bob in Hess hall 1976 always fun to be around....He is a vol for life....I think he is fine, Nro he is not John Ward, but will ever be like John Ward

yep he does........I first met Bob in Hess hall 1976 always fun to be around....He is a vol for life....I think he is fine, Nro he is not John Ward, but will ever be like John Ward

Maybe you two should start a club since you both seem overly concerned with my posting habits.

I think some people are baiting you just to see you respond so we can all laugh.

tumblr_lg7iv9SLnq1qafrh6.gif

When they were looking for someone to replace John Ward, it was announced that there would be a nationwide search for Ward's replacement. After that nationwide search they settled on this buffoon?

Living in Chattanooga, you can listen to a half dozen broadcasts of college games. Every play-by-play announcer I listen to makes Kesling sound like a fool. Hell, even the announcers for the high school games do a much better job than this guy.

Wow. Little overboard? I really don't think he's near as bad as he's being made out to be. Maybe it's my age or personality but I don't need someone screaming like a kid every time we make a 1st down.

Reactions: Vol Main and MAD
Wow. Little overboard? I really don't think he's near as bad as he's being made out to be. Maybe it's my age or personality but I don't need someone screaming like a kid every time we make a 1st down.

Hes really not that bad and who still listens to games on the radio anyways. I just like listing to good calls on different plays after the game like Jennings TD catch vs Florida and the catch vs UGA.

Hes really not that bad and who still listens to games on the radio anyways. I just like listing to good calls on different plays after the game like Jennings TD catch vs Florida and the catch vs UGA.

I agree he could be a little more excited at times. Guess I'm in the minority but I do prefer his style over the yelling types like Mike Keith. Just comes off as fake sometimes. Like many other I grew up with and loved John Ward but he's not coming back.

...... I truly don't believe we will ever get anything close to that with Kesling, we could win the NC on a last second play and he would measure out each word and phrase to keep them even while Tim would be going nuts in the background.

This is what I actually like about the "team" on the radio. Bob stays calm and you can clearly understand him, Tim is the constantly full of emotion. I do wish Bob did a better job with down and distance. But, as a team, I think they are a good combo.

I go to every home game, and usually make it to a couple of road games a year, so I honestly don't listen to a ton of Vol Radio broadcasts until after the game, but I think they do a good job.

Sure, it isn't John Ward....but, do you really think there will ever be another? I don't. Let the legend grow tall.

Reactions: 4 people
Bump...

The thread of worst ideas in Vol History got me to dig this old thread up.

I refuse to listen anymore, but has Bob even remotely improved this year?

Or do radio listeners still not know the down, distance, time remaining, who has the ball, what the play is, etc? I used to rack my brain trying to figure out how a 7 yard play on 1st and 10, as described by Bob, would turn into a 2nd and 8.

Reactions: VolDave53
I think John Wilkerson does a much better job on the UT men's basketball games and why don't they switch and let Wilkerson do football play by play and Kesling can anchor the kickoff call in show and report on scores of other games.

Bump...

The thread of worst ideas in Vol History got me to dig this old thread up.

I refuse to listen anymore, but has Bob even remotely improved this year?

Or do radio listeners still not know the down, distance, time remaining, who has the ball, what the play is, etc? I used to rack my brain trying to figure out how a 7 yard play on 1st and 10, as described by Bob, would turn into a 2nd and 8.

I stop listening to Bob K so many years ago now I couldn't tell you the last time it was. Maybe 10 years ago.
He did the play-by-play on the Lady Vols basketball game tonight on TV.......I think he's pretty good doing that.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back