Bob Kesling

His call of the game winning hail mary....SUCKED. Here we have an iconic, historic moment in UT football history, and the dude announces it in the tone like a guy who is pleasantly surprised to find out the breakfast buffet has extra pancakes.

Instead of getting a classic call like John Ward used to give, we get "What a surprising turn of events!".

Are you kidding me?

When they announced they were gonna play it, I thought, "If I wanted to hear his crap, I would have turned on a radio." That was the great thing about John Ward; if the TV guys were boring, you just turned the volume down (we didn't have a remote with a mute button, you little punks) and tuned in Ward on the radio.

You show me one person who does that with Kesling, and I will show you someone who would screw up your first beer to kick off a two week vacation.

Reactions: 1 person
Hah. I was thinking the same thing. I've always thought Kesling was one of the most boring announcers I've ever heard...and this "call of calls" was gawd awful weak.

"What a surprising turn of events"? And on top of it to say it in such a bland manner? Actually, he showed more emotion than he normally does..and it still sucked.

Nice try Bob. Back to your crossword puzzle.

When they announced they were gonna play it, I thought, "If I wanted to hear his crap, I would have turned on a radio." That was the great thing about John Ward; if the TV guys were boring, you just turned the volume down (we didn't have a remote with a mute button, you little punks) and tuned in Ward on the radio.

You show me one person who does that with Kesling, and I will show you someone who would screw up your first beer to kick off a two week vacation.

We watched the '98 Championship game with a radio, with Ward calling it, on top of our TV, even though it was about a second ahead of the TV. I still remember hearing Dwayne Goodrich's INT a good second before I saw it on TV. Goosebumps.

Reactions: 2 people
He ranks up there with Skip Carey of the Braves TV broadcast back in the day. "He slides into home and he's safe...I believe is the call..and the Braves win the world's championship. Stay tuned for the superstation movie Shane immediately following the broadcast".

Blob still needs to work on relaying down and distance in a timely manner.

Well Tim is the color, he's supposed to be a homer and yell and shout. Play by play guys aren't really supposed to. Lmao. But they all do besides Bob. He gets slightly excited I guess, but yeah there should be more passion there.

I could endure Blob if he could manage to communicate down and distance a bit quicker.

His call of the game winning hail mary....SUCKED. Here we have an iconic, historic moment in UT football history, and the dude announces it in the tone like a guy who is pleasantly surprised to find out the breakfast buffet has extra pancakes.

Instead of getting a classic call like John Ward used to give, we get "What a surprising turn of events!".

Are you kidding me?

He is the absolute worst.

I thought Kesling's call was spot on. I have absolutely no problem with it.

What is most important is that he gave you the immediate result of the play. There is nothing worse than some play-by-play announcer yelling and going crazy into the mic and never telling you exactly what happened.

Like a lot of things on here, the cool thing to do is pile onto Kesling (like piling into our OC when we are averaging 36 points per game in SEC play). So that is what the sheep do. Pile onto Kesling.

Reactions: 7 people
So you felt the need to respond 3 times in a thread you deemed not thread worthy and felt the need to give an opinion on something you obviously didn't feel was worth having an opinion on?

You're that guy that proclaims how much he doesn't care all why obviously caring, aren't you?

I wouldn't say I'm that emotionally involved in this thread. Lol. Your butt hurt knee Jerk reactions to my posts, however, show that you clearly are emotionally involved. I'll leave you alone so you can continue to rant about Kesling in your insulated bubble. Enjoy the win.

Reactions: Behr and 37405 VOL
I listened to that moment on the radio as I was driving home from work, and I heard a ton of emotion in his voice. I get it....... You guys love John Ward, but he is gone and you need to get over it. Bob Kesling does a great job. His only fault is he had to take over for a legend.

I don't think he is going anywhere at this point like it or not.

I haven't listened to him in years for full disclaimer.

It's a balancing act between being a professional broadcaster and a team guy too. Bob doesnt get very wrapped up in the emotional homerism like a lot of radio guys do, but the result is we may not get a classic "hobnail boot" type homer radio call to play before every UGA game from now on.

I thought Kesling's call was spot on. I have absolutely no problem with it.

What is most important is that he gave you the immediate result of the play. There is nothing worse than some play-by-play announcer yelling and going crazy into the mic and never telling you exactly what happened.

Like a lot of things on here, the cool thing to do is pile onto Kesling (like piling into our OC when we are averaging 36 points per game in SEC play). So that is what the sheep do. Pile onto Kesling.

I don't get the criticism directed at Kesling.... He shouted "The pass is......... Caught!!!!! For a Tennessee touchdown!!!!!!!" I could hear the happiness in his voice, but apparently he sucks because he doesn't call it exactly like John Ward. :pardon:

Yeah, Tim made up for it
"TENNESSEE WINS!!!!"
I love him. He should have said " Take some of that, Georgia!!!" 😁😁😁😁😁😁

Are you kidding me?

He was probably in a state of shock.

I don't get the criticism directed at Kesling.... He shouted "The pass is......... Caught!!!!! For a Tennessee touchdown!!!!!!!" I could hear the happiness in his voice, but apparently he sucks because he doesn't call it exactly like John Ward. :pardon:

It's stupid. He made the call. He was excited.

"GIVE. HIM. SIX. JOSH DOBBS to JAUAN JENNINGS. Dobbs threw up the prayer, and Jennings answered it, with a miraculous touchdown reception. He E-RUP-TED from the sea of red defenders in the endzone, jumping high with outstretched arms toward the beautiful spiral from Dobbs, and fell back to the earth with the victory clutched firmly against his chest. A miracle between the hedges here in Athens."

That's sort of what I'dve expected from Ward. Well, maybe not quite that ponderous but something similar. It was such a vivid moment.

Is that really what you got from John Ward at the time? That might have been his call after the play. Do you find no-sir-ree to be a ground breaking call?

He was amazing many times, bland at others and made his fair share of mistakes. I spent many Saturdays listening to a radio from a treestand and know he wasn't always as perfect as some like to claim

Calling Mike Keith and his Music City Miracle Call!

Mike, please bring your enthusiasm and talent to Rocky Top!

Now that would be "a shocking turn of events!"

Reactions: 1 person
Is that really what you got from John Ward at the time? That might have been his call after the play. Do you find no-sir-ree to be a ground breaking call?

He was amazing many times, bland at others and made his fair share of mistakes. I spent many Saturdays listening to a radio from a treestand and know he wasn't always as perfect as some like to claim

Legends grow bigger and memories get a little fuzzier as time passes.

VN Store

Back