Bob Kesling

I was fortunate to listen to Ward's last call while I was seated in the stands for the ND wind. We didn't know it was his last call at the time. I tried to listen to Bob for the first 2-3 years. Regardless of all the achievements and awards that have been given to him, I don't get it. I haven't listened to him since around 2001 or so.

Reactions: Bigun
But you have to give him credit for one thing, Hes a TN VOL just like us! I had the privledge of getting to talk to Bob back in 2001 when Syracuse was in town. And I learned that his passion for everything TN, is second to none! Ill be the first to admit, that hes no John Ward, but if you think about it, who is?! As long as its someone calling our games, that really loves the state of TN and our Vols, ill listen to him every Saturday. Bob is a VFL that has showed his loyalty to TN for a long time. Go Vols! 🍊🍊
That's fair enough for me.
Remember Vol Nation, it could be worse. It could be Gary Danielson. 😛

Bob does make mistakes, and he should’ve had a much better call for the hail marry against GA. However, driving through other states and listening to some other broadcasts has made me appreciate him a little more, there are certainly some really bad ones out there.

His call of the game winning hail mary....SUCKED. Here we have an iconic, historic moment in UT football history, and the dude announces it in the tone like a guy who is pleasantly surprised to find out the breakfast buffet has extra pancakes.

Instead of getting a classic call like John Ward used to give, we get "What a surprising turn of events!".

Are you kidding me?
Yeah, let's review what was actually said...

With that said I was listening to radio broadcast for the 3rd quarter of the USC game and Bob struggled. He effed up the score a few times and confused Jennings' stats with Callaway's. Poor Bob

I was fortunate to listen to Ward's last call while I was seated in the stands for the ND wind. We didn't know it was his last call at the time. I tried to listen to Bob for the first 2-3 years. Regardless of all the achievements and awards that have been given to him, I don't get it. I haven't listened to him since around 2001 or so.
For me, listening to Kessling is a market of last resort.

I wish it wasn't so, but Tennessee for whatever reason has married themselves to the hack for the next 20 years. I can't even listen to the radio broadcast anymore, he's nauseating. Give Tim somebody with some talent and we'd have one of the best in the nation broadcasts.

I can remember watching games, when I was much younger and turning the volume down on the television and cranking the radio up and listening to John ward call the game. It was so electric.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
I can remember watching games, when I was much younger and turning the volume down on the television and cranking the radio up and listening to John ward call the game. It was so electric.

I finally came up with the perfect comparison. Listening to John Ward's play by play was like drinking a Coke. When Bob took over, for those old enough to remember, it was the first time you drank New Coke back in the 80s. Only people with screwed up taste buds liked it.

Reactions: Carl Pickens
I wish it wasn't so, but Tennessee for whatever reason has married themselves to the hack for the next 20 years. I can't even listen to the radio broadcast anymore, he's nauseating. Give Tim somebody with some talent and we'd have one of the best in the nation broadcasts.

20 years? Oh, Hell no! Say it ain't so. Never listening to the radio again.

I think John Wilkerson does a much better job on the UT men's basketball games and why don't they switch and let Wilkerson do football play by play and Kesling can anchor the kickoff call in show and report on scores of other games.

Bob can anchor the soda vendors. Nothing will get spilled.

Reactions: sport3500
"GIVE. HIM. SIX. JOSH DOBBS to JAUAN JENNINGS. Dobbs threw up the prayer, and Jennings answered it, with a miraculous touchdown reception. He E-RUP-TED from the sea of red defenders in the endzone, jumping high with outstretched arms toward the beautiful spiral from Dobbs, and fell back to the earth with the victory clutched firmly against his chest. A miracle between the hedges here in Athens."

That's sort of what I'dve expected from Ward. Well, maybe not quite that ponderous but something similar. It was such a vivid moment.
I hard to tell with ward . But I think you did well with your representation . We got spolied with ward especially if your like me and so many others I'm only 36 but I can remember listening to him as just a little boy maybe 5 or so . He could capture the moment in your mind . There will never be another as great as that man . The best to ever do it plane and simple

His call of the game winning hail mary....SUCKED. Here we have an iconic, historic moment in UT football history, and the dude announces it in the tone like a guy who is pleasantly surprised to find out the breakfast buffet has extra pancakes.

Instead of getting a classic call like John Ward used to give, we get "What a surprising turn of events!".

Are you kidding me?

Everybody has their own style, it being we're not clones. At least not at this particular time in history. Some styles you're going to like, some you won't. I liked watching the quirky TV show "Dark Shadows" but other people hated it. Normally, I dislike horror movie but was fascinated by the movie "The Redeemer." Nearly all my friends couldn't stand that film. It's all a matter of taste and sometimes there just isn't any accounting for it. Bob is Bob, John is John and neither one is Keith Jackson or Gus Johnson. And I just call it the way I see it which some may or may not appreciate.

Reactions: MAD
So you felt the need to respond 3 times in a thread you deemed not thread worthy and felt the need to give an opinion on something you obviously didn't feel was worth having an opinion on?

You're that guy that proclaims how much he doesn't care all why obviously caring, aren't you?
You two get a room. Sheesh.......

CBS gave us an opportunity to hear Munson's hobnail boot call, and a few minutes later, we heard Bob's call of yesterday's finish.

As I listened to Munson, I thought about how unprofessional it was. Then when they played Bob's call, I appreciated Kesling even more.

Some of us prefer professionalism to a homer.
Tennessee needs more of a homer as play by play announcers than Bob, He gets more excited when the other team makes a big play than when Tennessee does!

I don't like him because my ex use to work somewhere Bob would frequently visit. He's a very rude person, especially if something doesn't go his way. I've heard numerous stories of how he talks down to people when he's not pretending. His announcing is sub par at best. I can't wait for him to retire.

VN Store

Back