Bob Kesling

when the Vols took the lead against usc jr, he kept announcing that Carolina will kick off after taking the lead, they should have hired Mike Kieth, but good 'ole boys ruled
I like MK and think he is very smart but it nails on a chalkboard listening to him.

Reactions: thehill98
Bob sucks. I heard his call on the 4th and goal stop. It was pitiful.

He also called the blocked XP a miss.

That said, it’s always hard to replace a radio man with someone that came up in TV. The mindset is totally different, and developed in guys that grew up listening to the radio exclusively. I think you could say that for all the greats- Jack Buck, Harry Caray, Phil Rizzuto, Vin Scully, John Ward, Marv Albert, Mussberger, Cosell, Larry Munson, and Eli Gold (gag).

I probably listen to more sports than I watch, due to work and family commitments. I grew up listening to Deckerhoff at FSU, and caught Ward while at UT. I have the National Championship on mp3, converted from cassette. I listen to Braves broadcasts and constantly miss Skip Caray. “Bottom of the fifth - which is exactly where I wish I was...” His son does a bang up job though - but that’s a big shadow in which to stand.

Kesling does a workmanlike job, and that ain’t easy or worthless. Like Chip, he’s standing in a shadow that will define his career. Coming to work every day and bringing all he’s got in that atmosphere deserves my respect.

I’ll be listening next weekend in front of the fire pit with a glass(es) of Dickel Select, punting the ball back and forth with my 10 year old, making memories to the tunes of Bob’s nasal baritone. Here’s hoping he gives us a great call on a great play that gets these kids bowl-eligible.

If I suited up for the Bulls and started as shooting guard the first game after Jordan retired, I would suck by comparison. But I still suck....not because Jordan was a legend. I would suck because I'm terrible at basketball.

So Steve Kerr was objectively terrible at basketball, or you are objectively terrible at basketball?

Does anyone remember one of Phil's last Vol Calls segments? One caller who was a fan of firing Fulmer called in and said something along the lines of "Bob, the only thing that'd make this any better is if you packed your bags and left too".

Was great. If only Bob had listened

Last edited:
Things must be great for UTAD ...if you're reduced to complaining about a 4-5 year old call on the radio......Holy Cow!!!
If you dislike Kessling that much I would bet you weren't even listening to him in the first place

To be fair, that post you quoted is 3 years old. Lol.

Some of y'all could use a drank.

I was so disappointed when number 11 on defense got a targeting call against Mississippi State. Robbed us of having him in for a half against Bama.
I really really really was hoping for the call from Bob:
To'oto'o tackles Tua Tagovailoa

I was so disappointed when number 11 on defense got a targeting call against Mississippi State. Robbed us of having him in for a half against Bama.
I really really really was hoping for the call from Bob:
To'oto'o tackles Tua Tagovailoa
Nice thought, but we all know it would have been a train wreck of a call. A classic bumble in the making!

Kesling is boring but he's a really good dude. Him and his wife both. I remember seeing him on Channel 10 news when I was younger

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
I sometimes get a little frustrated with Kesling, but I think he does a good job overall. Most of the people incessantly criticising are just trying to be cute, thinking that talking bad about someone else makes them look good. It doesn't. Yes, I wish he were more accurate and clear, throughout. Reality is I'd rather listen to him than most play by play radioheads.

Actually, I hope a Sunday comes soon where Bob goes to church and suddenly decides God called to preach. And spend the rest of his speaking career saving lost souls. I have actually seen him in public. Nice guy off the radio. John Ward always seemed a bit more standoffish off the air. Bob might make a good preacher. Win for him, win for us.
I can almost hear Bob’s altar call now “and if anyone needs to come to the front to make a decision or just to conduct some one on one business with The Lord the altar is open ... Oh ... what do we have here ? It appears Marilyn Manson and the ghost of Jack the Ripper would like to turn from their sin and make a public profession of faith . What a turn of events “

Kesling is boring but he's a really good dude. Him and his wife both. I remember seeing him on Channel 10 news when I was younger

I love how people get on here and act like Kesling has ruined their day because they chose to listen to him. I’ve never heard of one instance where someone said that Kesling was a jerk or a bad person, but so many come on here and personally attack the guy because he’s not the best radio guy.

I can almost hear Bob’s altar call now “and if anyone needs to come to the front to make a decision or just to conduct some one on one business with The Lord the altar is open ... Oh ... what do we have here ? It appears Marilyn Manson and the ghost of Jack the Ripper would like to turn from their sin and make a public profession of faith . What a turn of events “

I can't stop laughing. Well done running with that.

I sometimes get a little frustrated with Kesling, but I think he does a good job overall. Most of the people incessantly criticising are just trying to be cute, thinking that talking bad about someone else makes them look good. It doesn't. Yes, I wish he were more accurate and clear, throughout. Reality is I'd rather listen to him than most play by play radioheads.

Maybe Bob would do better if he wore overalls. I don't give a damn about being cute, making myself look good, or any other generic BS reasoning your pea brain comes up with. If you would rather listen to him, you never experienced John Ward and what he brought to the game. Another mediocre person accepting mediocrity.

Reactions: the_great_pumpkin
Does anyone remember one of Phil's last Vol Calls segments? One caller who was a fan of firing Fulmer called in and said something along the lines of "Bob, the only thing that'd make this any better is if you packed your bags and left too".

Was great. If only Bob had listened

Wasn't me, but wish I had thought of it.

Reactions: PandamoniumReigns
Things must be great for UTAD ...if you're reduced to complaining about a 4-5 year old call on the radio......Holy Cow!!!
If you dislike Kessling that much I would bet you weren't even listening to him in the first place

I wasn't. Verne piped it in. I sent a tersely worded objection to CBS sports.

Wow. You boycott the sponsors?

You bet. Quit drinking CocaCola, Don't drive Fords, Don't insure with Farm Bureau, don't bank with First Horizon, No Calhouns, no Dead End BBQ, and discontinued Dish earlier this year when I found out they were in. And my house doesn't use Natural Gas.

Last edited:
Maybe Bob would do better if he wore overalls. I don't give a damn about being cute, making myself look good, or any other generic BS reasoning your pea brain comes up with. If you would rather listen to him, you never experienced John Ward and what he brought to the game. Another mediocre person accepting mediocrity.

Dumb post is dumb.

VN Store

Back