Bob Kesling Hate

On no planet is what he said true about Mike Keith’s broadcasts.

Criticize his style or voice if you wish…but the guy is accurate. Fanatically so.

I guess you don’t listen to Titans radio either.

I can’t tell you how many times he’ll say “Oh that’s defensive pass interference, it’ll be first down for the Titans”

And I’m thinking great, first down, let’s go.

Then the call will actually be holding on the Titans.

I guess you don’t listen to Titans radio either.

I can’t tell you how many times he’ll say “Oh that’s defensive pass interference, it’ll be first down for the Titans”

And I’m thinking great, first down, let’s go.

Then the call will actually be holding on the Titans.

I have listened to literally every single radio broadcast synced with TV over the last 20 years, the OTP, and even the Coach Mac/Aimee thing.

He can miss a call due to a flag they can’t see (radio booths have sh!t angles in a ton of stadiums), a crew oddly manages it, or just flat missing one…

But even when he does miss one, he quickly corrects it, and still manages to provide down/distance, time, subs, and even which direction the team is moving.

I’m pretty sure you’re the lone voice that wants to say he’s wildly inaccurate. I’ve literally never heard someone take that shot at him.

Reactions: taylorvol
I have listened to literally every single radio broadcast synced with TV over the last 20 years, the OTP, and even the Coach Mac/Aimee thing.

He can miss a call due to a flag they can’t see (radio booths have sh!t angles in a ton of stadiums), a crew oddly manages it, or just flat missing one…

But even when he does miss one, he quickly corrects it, and still manages to provide down/distance, time, subs, and even which direction the team is moving.

I’m pretty sure you’re the lone voice that wants to say he’s wildly inaccurate. I’ve literally never heard someone take that shot at him.

I guess you don’t know that many people

If "always on their side" means I don't whine about them, advocate assaulting them, blame them for everything, and not naive/stupid enough to completely dismiss the play on the field, then yes.

But regarding those calls, if it was Kessling making those mistakes you'd be on here whining about them.
Or make excuses for poor performance by them much like for blob

I guess you don’t know that many people

People are clearly coming out of the woodwork to agree with you.

People criticize his yelling, the Sack call, even just the tone of his voice. His ability to accurately call the game is something I've never seen brought up as a question mark, and I've certainly never noticed it in an actual game. People miss calls on a broadcast. It happens, but its a rarity on Titans Radio.

He's the closest thing to John Ward's broadcasting that exists, and there's a very good reason for that.

Last edited:
That surprises me—-hadn’t heard that before about Kesling. Always came across as a good guy.
I have seen Kesling being arrogant a few times in some situations where he was interacting with people. It surprised me the first time, but I saw it occur a couple of other times. We all have bad days, including myself, but talking down to others is not cool.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Yeah, I don't get the hate either. I really don't notice him that much except that he talks too much. Don't need that much talking on TV. We can see the action, don't need it described like radio. A TV guy should give the viewer more background infor so one can understand better why what's happening is happening. And that's the job of the color man, too. Helton doesn't talk enough to give you that. And that's a guy who could give you that background understanding if he was of a mind to. All in all, I could take Kesling or leave him. And Helton, too.

Yeah, I don't get the hate either. I really don't notice him that much except that he talks too much. Don't need that much talking on TV. We can see the action, don't need it described like radio. A TV guy should give the viewer more background infor so one can understand better why what's happening is happening. And that's the job of the color man, too. Helton doesn't talk enough to give you that. And that's a guy who could give you that background understanding if he was of a mind to. All in all, I could take Kesling or leave him. And Helton, too.
Helton has practically zero experience as an expert analyst. It‘s easy to discount. Kesling gets so much wrong, blatantly wrong, that I just can’t justify him being a play-by-play guy. If you disagree, go back and review the game, and the answers will be apparent.

I only heard one game and that was yesterday. I felt sorry for Helton at times because there was no answer he could give. On the ground rule double, Kesling said that will clear the bases, a grand slam. Helton - silence. Then finally he said that was a ground rule double. Nothing he could have said that covered up for the fact the ball did not leave the field of play in the air.
Several other times Kesling just had no clue about baseball. Helton responded with silence while he figured out how to make it sound less dumb.

I gotta say, I don't live in Knoxville, and Kesling`s tenure in play calling emerged after I moved away. But I've heard him a couple of times and I listened to him and Helton on ESPN+ for Alabama. I just don't understand the hate he gets on VolNation. The guy is heads and shoulders above most SEC homer announcers. I mean the guy has to be proficient in three plus sports--not easy. He's trying to cover for Helton, an incredible VFL, future HOF, and potentially a good coach, but definitely not an announcer. I just think Kesling is better than the credit he receives on social media. Could John Ward pass today's stringent tests?

I guess you liked how he seemed totally offended Vitello bumped the 3rd base ump instead of saying anything about a HC defending his pitching coach and players. Yeah, that top notch broadcasting 🤷🏻

Kesling is awful. It has nothing to do with following Ward. He just sucks at his job and should've been fired at least 10+ years ago.
He's better at basketball than football, but he still sucks at basketball. He's downright awful, inaccurate, not exciting and just dreadful at football.

"What a turn of events" is all that needs to be said.

This x1000.

Reactions: PandamoniumReigns
It was almost like Kesling was trying to overcompensate for Helton’s brevity. He asked lots of leading questions to engage Helton. All in all, I think he receives way too much criticism.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I only heard one game and that was yesterday. I felt sorry for Helton at times because there was no answer he could give. On the ground rule double, Kesling said that will clear the bases, a grand slam. Helton - silence. Then finally he said that was a ground rule double. Nothing he could have said that covered up for the fact the ball did not leave the field of play in the air.
Several other times Kesling just had no clue about baseball. Helton responded with silence while he figured out how to make it sound less dumb.
Yes, I remember. It’s just baffling how bad he is. Not knocking the guy, but it’s excruciating.

I guess you liked how he seemed totally offended Vitello bumped the 3rd base ump instead of saying anything about a HC defending his pitching coach and players. Yeah, that top notch broadcasting 🤷🏻
I didn't see 'totaly offended'. He said you can't do that. Guess what, it cost the Vols four games without their head coach...know why? 'Cause you can't do that!

I know almost nothing about Kesling---his football calling, basketball calling, if he kicks puppies--whatever. I just said he gets a bad rap as a play caller, and he didn't seem too bad at baseball. I live out of Tennessee--I know little about him. Drop it

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
It was almost like Kesling was trying to overcompensate for Helton’s brevity. He asked lots of leading questions to engage Helton. All in all, I think he receives way too much criticism.

Yes. Bob kept asking Todd question after leading question, trying to get him to tell some fun baseball stories or add color to the broadcast with his wealth of baseball experience and insight. Helton answered as if he was under cross examination - as brief as possible. Like he was bored or had stagefright. So Bob kept yapping away cause he wasn't getting any help from Todd, exhausting all his good questions and left with only stupid ones. As a result of the presentation imbalance, Bob came across to me as a motormouth, but I understood he felt he had to compensate. All in all, an embarrassing performance by both of them, but especially Helton.

Yes. Bob kept asking Todd question after leading question, trying to get him to tell some fun baseball stories or add color to the broadcast with his wealth of baseball experience and insight. Helton answered as if he was under cross examination - as brief as possible. Like he was bored or had stagefright. So Bob kept yapping away cause he wasn't getting any help from Todd, exhausting all his good questions and left with only stupid ones. As a result of the presentation imbalance, Bob came across to me as a motormouth, but I understood he felt he had to compensate. All in all, an embarrassing performance by both of them, but especially Helton.

Which begs the question.

VN Store

Back