Bob Kesling Hate

I gotta say, I don't live in Knoxville, and Kesling`s tenure in play calling emerged after I moved away. But I've heard him a couple of times and I listened to him and Helton on ESPN+ for Alabama. I just don't understand the hate he gets on VolNation. The guy is heads and shoulders above most SEC homer announcers. I mean the guy has to be proficient in three plus sports--not easy. He's trying to cover for Helton, an incredible VFL, future HOF, and potentially a good coach, but definitely not an announcer. I just think Kesling is better than the credit he receives on social media. Could John Ward pass today's stringent tests?
He is a total dick in real life, treats people like crap and he isn’t even a UT fan at all. His broadcasts are garbage as well

Kesling doesn’t deserve the hate he gets. He’s called some truly awful football teams and some disappointing basketball teams. I don’t think even Ward could make 2005 - present Tennessee athletics sound exciting.

People also tend to gravitate towards what they had in the past and reject what they currently have in the present.
He absolutely does deserve the hate

I gotta say, I don't live in Knoxville, and Kesling`s tenure in play calling emerged after I moved away. But I've heard him a couple of times and I listened to him and Helton on ESPN+ for Alabama. I just don't understand the hate he gets on VolNation. The guy is heads and shoulders above most SEC homer announcers. I mean the guy has to be proficient in three plus sports--not easy. He's trying to cover for Helton, an incredible VFL, future HOF, and potentially a good coach, but definitely not an announcer. I just think Kesling is better than the credit he receives on social media. Could John Ward pass today's stringent tests?

Bibs is decent in baseball. That's his speed

Don...could John Ward pass today's standards? Hmmm, great question. Would Michael Jordan be any good in today's NBA? Could Joe Montana make it in the NFL? Would guys think Rachel Welch, Farah Faucett, or Cheryl Teigs were attractive? Could John Wayne make a cowboy movie?

Did you really ask that? Today's announcers across the board are fall short of their 70s-80s predecessors. Bob Kessling actually is a better baseball announcer IMHO than his other sports.

But, Ward was a HOFer, he is a gold standard, he is all time, epic, and you will bow your head when you say his name. You tube Ward calling a basketball game and be amazed at the ball movement call, the description of the action, the appropriate praise for good ay on both ends, and the flair for a turn of phase "Ellis, the silky smooth sophomore from Marriett G.A. , shoots...bang!"

Helton is not good...love him, but not his gig.

I don’t really have much of a problem with Kesling, other than I just wish he could at least try to act like he likes the university that pays him. I think he tries too hard to be impartial and it comes across wrong to most fans.
Bob is solid but not great. We could do better but we could do much worse also.
In my perfect world, Mike Keith would call football and John Wilkerson, baseball.
I don’t know who you’d get for basketball?
Just my 2 cents...
GBO!!

You are a referee and always on their side 😂
If "always on their side" means I don't whine about them, advocate assaulting them, blame them for everything, and not naive/stupid enough to completely dismiss the play on the field, then yes.

But regarding those calls, if it was Kessling making those mistakes you'd be on here whining about them.

Time will tell? He's had over 20 years to get better and he's no better than the day he started. He's arguably worse.
I think it's relative. And subjective. All I know is I always preferred Kesling/Priest to Lundquist/Danielson. I would turn down the sound on the TV and turn the radio on. Vern and Gary were the absolute worst.

Last edited:
Reactions: youcancallmeAl
Kesling had to follow the Goat of broadcasting. I dont ever see there being another John Ward. Kesling is an a$$hole when you approach him out in public. Beyond that though....his calling of games is sub-par at best. I would rather listen to Lyle Jones create new Butchisms then to listen to Bobs broadcast of football or basketball.

Reactions: PandamoniumReigns
He’s just a guy talking to me. Doesn’t understand the game and has corny cliques. Other than that, he’s good.

How great it wouldve been had mike keith came to knoxville

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I don't listen to Tennessee Titan broadcasts. I'm not a fan of theirs, but even if what you say is true, that doesn't make Bob Kesling any better.

The University of Tennessee has a passionate fan base. The "Voice of the Vols" should be someone who shares that passion. Bob is short on charisma. His calls convey all the tension and excitement of a soft rock disc jockey getting ready to play a tune from Phil Collins or Lionel Ritchie.

On no planet is what he said true about Mike Keith’s broadcasts.

Criticize his style or voice if you wish…but the guy is accurate. Fanatically so.

VN Store

Back