Bob Kesling Hate

I don't listen to Tennessee Titan broadcasts. I'm not a fan of theirs, but even if what you say is true, that doesn't make Bob Kesling any better.

The University of Tennessee has a passionate fan base. The "Voice of the Vols" should be someone who shares that passion. Bob is short on charisma. His calls convey all the tension and excitement of a soft rock disc jockey getting ready to play a tune from Phil Collins or Lionel Ritchie.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about but I’m going to compare it anyway.”

Reactions: tennesseecoyote
“I don’t know what you’re talking about but I’m going to compare it anyway.”
????

I wasn't comparing Mike Keith and Bob Kesling. I was saying that even if Mike Keith is as bad as you say, that doesn't make the job Bob Kesling does any better. Regardless of how bad Keith is ... The Voice of the Vols should be someone more passionate and descriptive than Bob Kesling.

They are not the University of Tennessee's only options for the job.

I gotta say, I don't live in Knoxville, and Kesling`s tenure in play calling emerged after I moved away. But I've heard him a couple of times and I listened to him and Helton on ESPN+ for Alabama. I just don't understand the hate he gets on VolNation. The guy is heads and shoulders above most SEC homer announcers. I mean the guy has to be proficient in three plus sports--not easy. He's trying to cover for Helton, an incredible VFL, future HOF, and potentially a good coach, but definitely not an announcer. I just think Kesling is better than the credit he receives on social media. Could John Ward pass today's stringent tests?

John Ward was one of the writers of the test.....

I gotta say, I don't live in Knoxville, and Kesling`s tenure in play calling emerged after I moved away. But I've heard him a couple of times and I listened to him and Helton on ESPN+ for Alabama. I just don't understand the hate he gets on VolNation. The guy is heads and shoulders above most SEC homer announcers. I mean the guy has to be proficient in three plus sports--not easy. He's trying to cover for Helton, an incredible VFL, future HOF, and potentially a good coach, but definitely not an announcer. I just think Kesling is better than the credit he receives on social media. Could John Ward pass today's stringent tests?
It all comes down to personal taste. You either like an announcer or you dont. Its that simple. Its not about someone being good or bad. Because if you like them you think they are good. If you dont you think they are bad. But like Ford and Chevy. Some do some dont. So its your personal taste that makes you like or dislike.

No matter who’s doing the commentary there will always be low IQ people talking bad about them.
True. Everyone is a critic, and everyone has a critic.

However, I haven't run across many Vol fans (whether they were low IQ, average IQ, high IQ or my fellow Mensa members) who didn't enjoy listening to John Ward.

One of my earliest memories of Tennessee football was listening to his call of the '82 win over Alabama. Even though Bama was ranked #2, it wasn't televised. I listened to the game that afternoon from start to finish in my dad's study, and it felt like I was there. It never seemed to matter that I couldn't see what has happening. John Ward made me feel like I had seen it. Kesling just doesn't have that same ability.

Reactions: tennesseecoyote
Really enjoyed Kesling back when he was one of the backup tv announcers and sideline reporter for Jefferson pilot in the 90s. Wish he was more of a homer like what Georgia and bama have. Will say he is one of the nicest individuals to meet and does love this university.

Is Bob Kesling John Ward? Absolutely not. I'm sure he would be the first to tell you that. Is he good at his craft? Time will tell. I do know that I met him getting out of his car to cover an Orange and White game years ago and he was nice enough to sign a football for my young son. There was absolutely no one around and he was very nice to us when he didn't have to be.
Time will tell? He's had over 20 years to get better and he's no better than the day he started. He's arguably worse.

john ward is very hard to replace

Seems like he did, and if you're going by the rules, he's 100% right. You can't touch an ump. My God, if you can bump an ump today, I guess you can slug him tomorrow? Gotta have some rules--and TV would agree

BTW, Helton agreed.
Geez, people we have been watered down to accept this level of quality and then argue that we should be ok with it. Bob is "unlistenable". His bad habits have been listed above by many other posters so I don't need to go there. The number one issue I have with him is that he has never ever improved from his first days doing the job. In fact due to getting older, many would argue that he is much worse. Add in to that formula that many have found him to be quite unpleasant personality-wise to be around - I'll leave it at that. He is a poor rep for the university and is just no better at his job now than when first on the scene. Got the job thru luck and fortune and never tried to grow into the part.

All true ... and he is also bad about giving the down, but not the distance.

Example :

Typical call from Kesling ...

"And that'll bring up 2nd down for Tennessee from their own 13 yard line. Hooker drops back to pass ... and throws a strike to Tillman over the middle. That's a pick up on the play of 18 yards for Tennessee."

That's great, Bob. That was a 1st down wasn't it?

Moments later ...

"That's gonna set up a big 3rd and short right here for Tennessee..."

Okay ... it wasn't a first down. Would you mind telling us exactly what is needed for a 1st down then, Bob?'

It's like he assumes that we have listened to every play... and kept up with the score and the down and distance ourselves. A majority of listeners are in their cars, however ... and will frequently miss those things while driving. Bob just shouldn't be on the radio.
What a turn of events

Kesling is awful. It has nothing to do with following Ward. He just sucks at his job and should've been fired at least 10+ years ago.
He's better at basketball than football, but he still sucks at basketball. He's downright awful, inaccurate, not exciting and just dreadful at football.

"What a turn of events" is all that needs to be said.
I’m still trying to figure out if we beat UGA

He is a good announcer, great voice, goes about his work in a businesslike manner. Never felt like he was a Vol fan.
I obviously disagree that he is a good announcer, but I will agree that he has a business-like manner and that it's hard to tell if he really is a Vol fan. However, that is not what most college football fans want from their local flagship radio station's play-by-play announcer. When over 95% of your listening audience members are fans of Team X, there is nothing wrong with showing a professional degree of favoritism for Team X.

Reactions: jdogvol
Bob's biggest issue is that he cut his commentating teeth on television, where fans see the action and aren't as dependent upon the announcer to paint a visual picture. He has never figured out that radio listeners need him to accurately describe all the important details of events as they happen. John Ward was an artist.

Bob's other major problem is his mistaken belief that the Voice of the Vols should be neutral rather than a homer. He acts like it would be a mortal sin if he were to express any excitement at a Tennessee success.

I just can't take him.

Bob's biggest issue is that he cut his commentating teeth on television, where fans see the action and aren't as dependent upon the announcer to paint a visual picture. He has never figured out that radio listeners need him to accurately describe all the important details of events as they happen. John Ward was an artist.

Bob's other major problem is his mistaken belief that the Voice of the Vols should be neutral rather than a homer. He acts like it would be a mortal sin if he were to express any excitement at a Tennessee success.

I just can't take him.
I think Tennessee fans could overlook his flaws as a radio play-by-play man, if we could just embrace him as one of our own, but his style makes that impossible. He's too neutral.

I’m better off just going onto Twitter and reading tweets than listening to Kesling at football. He ignores the basics: time and score and frequently gets other things wrong: down, distance, recaps of what has happened

Wouldn’t have had a problem if they’d hired Mike Keith
It's largely a matter of personal preference. For me, listening to Mike Keith is like listening to fingernails on a chalkboard.
I also think Kessling had the misfortune of following a legend and doing it in an era in which the product was mostly awful. I have heard he's a bit arrogant but don't know how true that is.

Spot. On. Kesling does a great job—don’t get the hate. I like Helton’s calm measured approach. He’s a man of few words but when he speaks, it’s substantive.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
Kesling has been terrible since he started!!! Can't listen to him!!! Mike Keith is much better!!!

VN Store

Back