Bleacher Report Says Tennessee is 10-2 in 2015

Why? We're pretty much equally talented teams, it's at Florida, and we've lost 18 of the last 22. I think you have to predict that as a loss given the circumstances.

It is a test of Jones. Most here excused his first year at UT due to a "new system" and someone else's players. That's doubly true at UF. Moreover, they had more roster losses and contributor losses.

So you have a new coach vs a guy in his 3rd year with similar talent.... It comes down to coaching.

Reactions: 1 person
Not according to some on here. Some think the UF game is the key to a successful season.

I think ending the slumps against UF, Bama, and UGA will be vital to rebuilding the program and moving the program forward.

All three are more "ripe" than they've been since the current streaks started and UT probably has their most talented roster of that period.

Are you? I think UT will have about the same proportion of injuries as everyone else.

If every starter goes down, then 8-4 isn't realistic, correct? Injuries are part of the game but they happen for all teams.

That's a good point. We just can't afford to lose starters at critical positions like QB, RB, and LB, obviously we have little depth at those positions. It's been a while but we finally have some depth at DT. Reeling in KM and Tuttle was huge.

You seem to overlook the fact that we are still razor thin at certain key positions.
And folks like you keep overlooking the fact that virtually EVERY CFB team outside of maybe Bama and a couple more are "razor thin" at key positions. You pay your coach to solve that problem or mitigate it.

What happens if Dobbs gets hurt? We have a true freshmen who's never taken a college snap backing him up. Oh and another true freshmen backing HIM up.
In 2004, UT went to the SEC CG behind two Fr QB's. JT Barrett as a true Fr last year did most of the work to put tOSU in the NC game. Meyer got him up to speed as a Fr then replaced him with a Soph who finished their championship run. That's what good coaches do.

We have 2 running backs in Hurd and Kamara. What happens if one or both of them get hurt? What happens if Pig Howard gets hurt?
I like Pig but UT is nothing if not deep with talent at WR. Abernathy will probably play RB for UT due to the lack of depth along with the Fr. If both of those guys get hurt then you use what you have. A ton of empty backfield sets throwing to some tremendously talented WR's.

You say 9 wins should be the floor with this team but I don't think you realize just how much lady luck would have to shine on us for that to happen and frankly, that's something Tennessee hasn't had a whole lot of since 98.
I think 8 barring extraordinary injuries is the floor. I would agree with you that 9 is too high for a floor.

That's a good point. We just can't afford to lose starters at critical positions like QB, RB, and LB, obviously we have little depth at those positions. It's been a while but we finally have some depth at DT. Reeling in KM and Tuttle was huge.

I think we're ok at LB as well. With Jalen Reeves-Maybin, Chris Weatherd, Kenny Bynum, Dillon Bates, Cortez McDowell, Jakob Johnson, Gavin Bryant, Elliot Berry, and Colton Jumper, we have pretty darn good depth of talent.

Add incoming freshmen Kirkland, Sapp, and Smith, and the future looks fine as well.

In the realm of limited experienced depth, I think our main issues are confined to QB and RB. Stay healthy at those two spots, and nothing short of catastrophic attrition should hurt us too bad this coming season.

Normally I would see a 10-2 prediction as being severely over hyped but I believe we where better than our record showed last year lack of depth and fatigue from our players having to pay to many reps last year hurt us in the long run

With better depth at most positions enabling at least a serviceable rotation I don't believe fatigue and injuries will be as big a factor this year

So if the o-line can show marked improvement and we can maintain the tempo of the Iowa game I believe this offense could be special and put up 28+ in the first half of games. If we can do that then we just sit back and let the D tee off on opposing teams and let the Rise To The Top begin

Somebody's really buying all the hype. I expect to win them all and I'm probably as close to being a sunshine pumper as you can get. Setting the floor at 8 or 9 before seeing proof of improvement from our o-line is reaching.

Somebody's really buying all the hype. I expect to win them all and I'm probably as close to being a sunshine pumper as you can get. Setting the floor at 8 or 9 before seeing proof of improvement from our o-line is reaching.

7-5 means we were likely 1-5 vs the 6 best teams we played ...Oklahoma, Florida, Arkansas, Georgia, Alabama, Missouri. Just being a "good" team that's shown improvement, I'd think 2-4 (8-4) isn't much to ask.

7-5 means we were likely 1-5 vs the 6 best teams we played ...Oklahoma, Florida, Arkansas, Georgia, Alabama, Missouri. Just being a "good" team that's shown improvement, I'd think 2-4 (8-4) isn't much to ask.

Agreed. I have left open catastrophic injuries but barring insane bad luck such as that, 8 seems like a legit floor to me. You aren't asking to win all the toss-ups, just some.
If the man can be a gameday coach, I don't see the problem with 4. One of the reasons I didn't question Debord was the OL factor. They should at least reach average.

I cant believe the pansyism we have on this board. We went 11-2 in 2001 and had two 10 win seasons after that. Some of you think we have never won over 8 games in a year. WTF!

Reactions: 6 people
I cant believe the pansyism we have on this board. We went 11-2 in 2001 and had two 10 win seasons after that. Some of you think we have never won over 8 games in a year. WTF!

People forget we're a top 10 all time program period. Some refuse to blame coaches because everything's still Fulmers fault to this day. Its sad as hell really.

I think realistically, 8-4 is what we're looking at. 2016 is when I think we can start saying 10-2 (or better).

eat that loss to Florida. Ain't happening. also, "because it's Tennessee" will be the answer in the future for why teams are going to go ahead and mark the L down.

Reactions: 3 people
10-2 means we are in the SEC champ game. They're basically saying we are playing for a spot in the playoffs

Probably wind up with 9 wins. SOMETHING is going to happen. Don't be surprised if we lose a game like KY along the way.

Probably wind up with 9 wins. SOMETHING is going to happen. Don't be surprised if we lose a game like KY along the way.

Or Oklahoma.

Or Missouri.

Or Georgia.

OR ALL THE ABOVE. That Writer is obviously smoking crack.

Vols finish 7-5 with losses to Bama, Gators, Sooners, Mizz, Georgia and wins over everybody else.

On second thought, we might jump up and beat 1 of those teams... So my official pick is 8-4 with a surprise win over any of those 5 teams (most likely Florida or Georgia IMHO.

Last time we had such "lofty" predictions was 2005...and we ended going 5-7. I pay no attention to pre season prognostications...just red meat for the faithful.

I recall this I believe. I think it was when Gameday and all its guests picked Tennessee to win it all. I recall 4 of the 5 that spoke called that.. boy.. was I in for a let down.

Or Oklahoma.

Or Missouri.

Or Georgia.

Vols finish 7-5 with losses to Bama, Gators, Sooners, Mizz, Georgia and wins over everybody else.

On second thought, we might jump up and beat 1 of those teams... So my official pick is 8-4 with a surprise win over any of those 5 teams (most likely Florida or Georgia IMHO.
How is expecting to lose to every decent team we play a reasonable expectation? 7-5 would be near catastrophic.

Reactions: 4 people
10-2 means we are in the SEC champ game. They're basically saying we are playing for a spot in the playoffs

I think we're the 2nd most talented team in East slighty behind UGA. But we have stability and leadership at every level on either side of the ball.
We have Dobbs. UGA is still looking for a Murray replacement.

Unfortunately... Mizzou and UF are still in the east. Mizzou is a really good program. Until we can beat them both, our program will stay stuck. But we will beat both if them this year.

I would say we are as talented as Ole Miss was last year and they found a way to beat Bama! I think we put too much stock in their recruiting they can only play 11 at a time just like us. Plus it's about time for the Kiffin stress cracks to start showing.
I don't see a single team on our schedule that simple out classes us this year. The 4 that are true toss ups to me are OU, UGA, Bama and ArK. Then 3 that we should win but things happen in football: UF, Mizzou and USC.
Also the best case scenario for our OL is for Drew Richmond to come in over the summer and be a true world beater and cement his spot at LT for 3 years.

8 Wins in the regular season is what I EXPECT!

I base those 2 extra Wins on how much better our D line rotation should be this year.

If our O line improves well, if Dobbs, Hurd, Kamara and our WR's get better and stay healthy then I don't doubt we can get more Wins.

Win the SEC East and go to Atlanta and AD Hart better make certain that our best recruiters get another nice raise, Win the SEC Championship and make the playoffs then our best recruiters better get a big raise, win a playoff game and AD Hart better get our coaches get a huge raise.

Recruiting is the lifeblood of college football and we can NOT let our best recruiters get away from us for any reason!

We're just now getting things back on the right track so we simply can't let the Vols train get off the tracks.

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

Or Oklahoma.

Or Missouri.

Or Georgia.

I am somewhere closer to a crack smoker.
2 losses = crack smoker
3 losses = quite possible
4 losses = predicted by a poster on Volnation
5 losses or more = Negavol

VN Store

Back