Big chip on CJH's shoulder...

From what I've seen from the media, the majority has been positive. They seem to think his offense is what UT needs and will go a long way in fixing many of our offensive problems. I can't recall seeing any negative articles.

It's been the fanbase that has really bashed the CJH hire, especially at first.

Now the shock seems to have worn off and many seem to be coming around to the hire, or at least they are taking a wait and see approach.

I'm probably in this last group. I wasn't excited about the hire, even after looking a little deeper at his coaching history and his record for developing players. I really believe this could be the best hire we have made since firing Fulmer, but the past 14 years have made me wary of getting my hopes up.

But I am definitely rooting for him.

Unlike anytime before in these coaching changes, we now have a new coach with a huge chip on his shoulder. I've read articles from everywhere about how safe and underwhelming this hire was and about how CJH is in over his head. I'm sure he's seen these reports and stories as well. All the negativity, not only from local and national media but also some fans is going to create a fight in this man as we've never seen in a coach during the last 20 plus years.

I think he's smart, actually brilliant in developing talent and offense. I'm sure he has a raging fire in his desire to succeed. He wants to prove all the nay sayers wrong.

Give him a chance and show room for some errors. No one is perfect. I'm back to being excited about watching VOL football but let's be realistic on his first year. 6-6 would be good. 7-5 or better would be amazing.

GBO!

If that's what it takes to justify the hire, good for ya. I hope it's true but I expect this experiment to crash and burn in short order.

Reactions: lifeisdeep
He isn’t anymore proven than Butch
He was a successful OC at Oklahoma and Missouri where the offense's were wide open and high scoring under him. He was QB coach for Sam Bradford who won the Heisman Trophy. Landry Jones who won the Sammy Baugh Award for the Nations Top Passer, Trevor Knight who won the MVP of the Sugar Bowl and Drew Lock who lead FBS in touchdown passes. He ran a successful program at UCF and was runner up in the Heisman Trophy race in his playing days. You are correct in the fact he may never have played in a Marching Band in high school.

He isn’t anymore proven than Butch

Every coach we've brought in here had the fire in his belly to get 'er done and at the end had tail tucked twixt legs and cashing our checks. Heupel will be no different untli he is. I hope he is, but head says we're doing this again end of season 2023.

Every coach we've brought in here had the fire in his belly to get 'er done and at the end had tail tucked twixt legs and cashing our checks. Heupel will be no different untli he is. I hope he is, but head says we're doing this again end of season 2023.
This is the most qualified coach we have had since Majors. I think most everyone has to agree that with UT's past history of promoting from within or letting people that had no earthly idea what it took to hire a coach over the last 20 year's at least this is a step in a different and hopefully the right direction for a change, Getting rid of Fulmer as AD and the ones before him that were either a Bamer or that were hand picked by some so they could be controlled is a step in the right direction alone.

Reactions: dlravol2
After several coaching searches, I finally gave up and realized I don’t even know anymore what kind of coach it will take to get Tennessee back. At this point, I’m throwing my hands up and saying: “Who knows? Maybe this guy will get this program rolling again.”

Hire whoever you want because it’s hard to measure a home run hire anymore. We’ve had coordinators with lots of past success like Shoop and Chaney who didn’t pan out as much here. Maybe Heupel’s unconventional style will do it.

I think it will be exciting anyway. His offense was the one that made Saban want to stop the hurry up style in College Football after Okla. dusted Ala. in the Sugar Bowl, not saying that will happen anytime soon but it does work if we can execute it on the field

Reactions: kcvols1
Head Coach with a winning record better than any head coach hired in the last 40+ years at UT = safe and underwhelming. lol

Doesn't seem to me that you are much of a Vol Fan

And why do you say that? Because I'm not pumping sunshine out of my nether regions for our new coach?

How many times have we been here in the past 13 years? We've been here 5 times, and each time I've been on board.

I am on board with CJH, but we could have done better had we not decided to try and commit NCAA suicide and have an administrative toxic environment.

I'm also not going to Google search myself to being super positive about this, and instead will see how it plays out.

If you need to do that, and play the "you're not a real fan" card because of my post, feel free to do so. Just understand that we will know more about this in 3 years or less, and we better hope we aren't back in the same positions or have the NCAA hammer us like we are trying to do to ourselves. Any time the NCAA snoops around, they usually find things that aren't necessarily out in the open.

Heupel has a bit of redneck nature that fits in well with Tennessee. I read somewhere that Josh had never spoken to Bob Stoops again after his firing from Oklahoma. I think he will be an aggressive offensive coach that is perfect for the modern SEC. Great team with him and the new AD.

Reactions: kcvols1
I think it will be exciting anyway. His offense was the one that made Saban want to stop the hurry up style in College Football after Okla. dusted Ala. in the Sugar Bowl, not saying that will happen anytime soon but it does work if we can execute it on the field

S'cuse me, I've seen the exciting offense with laughable defense previously at Neyland. It may have been before your time but it was led by a guy named Bray. Threw the ball all over the place in losing efforts. If you can't win at Neyland you can't stay in. Just sayin'

He was a successful OC at Oklahoma and Missouri where the offense's were wide open and high scoring under him. He was QB coach for Sam Bradford who won the Heisman Trophy. Landry Jones who won the Sammy Baugh Award for the Nations Top Passer, Trevor Knight who won the MVP of the Sugar Bowl and Drew Lock who lead FBS in touchdown passes. He ran a successful program at UCF and was runner up in the Heisman Trophy race in his playing days. You are correct in the fact he may never have played in a Marching Band in high school.
I thought Oklahoma fired him?

VN Store

Back