Big chip on CJH's shoulder...

I think, though underwhelming on the optics of the hire, and probably not our first choice...he may end up being a good one. Not totally jumping back on the bandwagon with blind optimism, but think we may surprise some folks.

Reactions: mickeyvol
I don't honestly care about chips on shoulders and stuff like that. Emotions like that do not last or sustain someone. I care about the stuff he's actually said about building a team and how he relates to players and how he expects them to relate to each other. And... I care about what he knows and can teach about football.

Heupel seems like a good man. He has had success. But the same standard applies as has applied to all the others. He needs to improve the team. He needs to win.

We settled for CJH due to the NCAA cloud and toxic environment hanging over us.

That being said, it doesn't mean that he won't succeed here. He has all the resources he needs here, so let's just hope he puts together what those before him this past decade could not.

I don't want him to fail, because that means it still sucks being a Vol fan.
We are a little down but It NEVER sucks being a VOLS fan!

Reactions: rbjnet and 24/7vol
Unlike anytime before in these coaching changes, we now have a new coach with a huge chip on his shoulder. I've read articles from everywhere about how safe and underwhelming this hire was and about how CJH is in over his head. I'm sure he's seen these reports and stories as well. All the negativity, not only from local and national media but also some fans, is going to create a fight in this man as we've never seen in a coach during the last 20 plus years.

I think he's smart, actually brilliant in developing talent and offense. I'm sure he has a raging fire in his desire to succeed. He wants to prove all the nay sayers wrong.

Give him a chance and show room for some errors. No one is perfect. I'm back to being excited about watching VOL football but let's be realistic on his first year. 6-6 would be good. 7-5 or better would be amazing.

GBO!
I would hope he does and comes out swinging week 1.

Yeah, I don't know the answers to most of those questions either, FireBall. Heh. But I think I can help with the shape of it all.

We average folk with average access to information about the program, we don't see most of what actually happens. But that's okay, because 99% of it is just mundane stuff, like a secretary in the front office ordering business cards for the new AD and coaches, or a grounds man painting the lines on the practice field every Thursday morning at 7:30.

Once in a while, though, something significant does happen, and we miss most of that, too. Key booster meeting with the AD, where some deal is quietly made that will affect the stadium upgrades for years to come, or an argument between the OC and DC that unintentionally starts a schism in the locker room that will diminish on-field teamwork and performance for two seasons, or a young freshman suddenly lighting it up on the practice field, so brightly that even the oldest and most jaded of the coaches stops and stares, then the coaching staff starts plotting ways to build the offense or defense around this wunderkind.

So maybe, maybe, we hear about 5% of those significant events. That's like trying to understand all the news that happened today with only 2 of the 40 pages of the newspaper, or trying to succeed at final college exams after taking only 2 of the 40 courses required. Pretty hard to know what's going on, really, with just 5%.

So we're blind. And worse, we're the blind milling around with the blind. And even worse, most of us blind people are trying to convince everyone else that we can see, at least a little bit. So we're making stuff up, whole cloth, out of the merest of rumor and conjecture (like, maybe, a coach having a chip on his shoulder for one reason or another). And we tell each other these made-up bits over and over until the "confirmation bias algorithm" in our brains convince us they are facts. Then we build some more "facts" on top of those invented "facts," and layer more "facts" on the second tier of "facts."

Most of volnation.com is fiction.

We don't act like it is, though, because hey, we've got nothing better to do than sit around discussing Vols football, and we need SOMETHING to talk about. So for us, it's real. Kind of. If we squint. And ignore the silliest bits.

Heh. So at the end of the day, we just gotta have fun here, and try not to get bogged down in it, try not to take any of it too seriously.

Anyway, that's kind of where I am in the evolution of my own view of the program.

Go Vols!
Totally agree with you JP. I always value your opinions. End all.. It's all about the young men that play for the University. What can we do to make them successful? Not winning successful, but build a strong program to be successful. When I look at the other universities that are seeming doing it right.. I am envious because I want our men that choose to make UT their home to have the same success as well.

If the players are successful, everyone else will he as well..

I hope AD White and the rest of the administration can break the cycle the university seems stuck in.

GBO!

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
It's all about the young men that play for the University. What can we do to make them successful? Not winning successful, but build a strong program to be successful. When I look at the other universities that are seeming doing it right.. I am envious because I want our men that choose to make UT their home to have the same success as well.

If the players are successful, everyone else will be as well.
Man, well said, FireBall. Super well said.

Reactions: FïreBall
I think that we have had so much bad crap happen with coaching that we as a fanbase are scared to get behind any coach. But I will say this, I will support him until he gives me a reason not to.

I think that we have had so much bad crap happen with coaching that we as a fanbase are scared to get behind any coach. But I will say this, I will support him until he gives me a reason not to.
No coach is perfect. Even the very best make mistakes. They're all going to goof up, that's being human.

So don't just support him until he gives you A reason not to. Support him until he gives TOO MANY reasons not to. Support him to a fault.

Why? Because he's wearing orange and white. Because he's trying, for us and our lads. Because that's what we Vols do, we back each other, even through the rough patches.

With the majority of the difference-maker players transferring out, and then a number of recruits backing off of their commitments, and then add to that the damaging penalties to the program that will have to be paid, it's totally unfair to expect much of Heupel in his first couple of seasons in Knoxville. Even with future NFL players like Gray and To'To' the Vols weren't beating Florida or Bama or Georgia, so it would literally take a miracle from heaven to see a Tennessee team beat any of those programs in the near future.

I agree with everyone who thinks the guy deserves a chance. But let's be sure to recognize "a chance" has to be more than two years. A real chance for this program that has dipped so low is, realistically, five years. After the fourth season, if there hasn't been significant improvement, then you start thinking that maybe he goes firmly on the hot seat and that Year 5 is his do-or-die. But not before.

Reactions: ArmyVol697
I don't think he has read any reports or articles about what sports writers are saying about him.

Amazes me that people think that. He just took a job as a head football coach for a major university. He's dealing with existing players, recruits, administration, interviewing coaches, getting ready for spring practice, going to events and doing interviews, learning his way around campus and Knoxville, not to mention selling his house in Florida and moving his family to Tennessee. Sounds exhausting.

If he needs sports writers to provide motivation or a "chip on his shoulder," he definitely is the wrong guy for the job.

He’ll win fans over with the points and unexpected wins and recruits over like the past few coaches with early playing time.
That last sentence is what I'm not interested in. Need 21 year Olds in key spots, not 18 year Olds. Young talent on the field has gotten us killed . You need veteran players to fully compete at the power 5 level, this has been proven true so much its not even a question.

That last sentence is what I'm not interested in. Need 21 year Olds in key spots, not 18 year Olds. Young talent on the field has gotten us killed . You need veteran players to fully compete at the power 5 level, this has been proven true so much its not even a question.
If they’re very good AND 21? They’re contemplating their pro options. Play your talent...not card em!

Except he’s not recruiting veterans but working with what he’s got or will get. New players are expected to be infused not expected to win it all.

I'm excited to see what the offensive staff can do with the talent on that side. Bring the offense into this century.

I think he’s referring to the thread title, as in saying CJH would inhale an entire bag of chips. Wasn’t a good joke.
Oh...I thought he was making a completely worn out reference to Mc bag stuff which has been done to nauseum and not funny.....but I think you are right and I'm wrong...:oops:

I don't think he has read any reports or articles about what sports writers are saying about him.

Amazes me that people think that. He just took a job as a head football coach for a major university. He's dealing with existing players, recruits, administration, interviewing coaches, getting ready for spring practice, going to events and doing interviews, learning his way around campus and Knoxville, not to mention selling his house in Florida and moving his family to Tennessee. Sounds exhausting.

If he needs sports writers to provide motivation or a "chip on his shoulder," he definitely is the wrong guy for the job.
You don't think Finebaum's statements got back to him? What about some of the trash from the AP? I'm sure he's not living in a vacuum.

I hope so. Doesn’t change the fact we still haven’t made a real hire since John Majors.
Remember the day Johnny came marching home again? Town was electrified.Took him several years to reward us, but Tn fans didn’t have boards like this to post all the time about everything. Simpler times then.

Reactions: Johnnyreb#VFL

VN Store

Back