Best/Worst Times as a Kid

Outing to Steele Creek in Bristol, Tennessee. My parents had learned to let my brother and me each take a friend. Just to keep us occupied. We were swimming in the creek. The water was frigid! We climbed up onto a huge boulder to warm up. I pushed Teri off.

Best: She did a spectacular belly flop.
Worst: She almost drowned and wouldn't talk to me on the way home.

Reactions: Tri-CitiesVol
Okay, so y'all know everyone is still a kid. This is more like a memories thread. I had to drive from Kingsport to Sweetwater every month. Divorce decreed it. Halfway to Marietta. Lora is riding shotgun. My daughter is strapped into car seat in the back. Lora gives her a Tic Tac just past West Hills exit. Wintergreen. My daughter started wailing: I had no idea that she'd shove it up her nose. 3 year olds. Can't trust them. No where to pull over.

Best: She snorted what was left out.
Worst: Got chastised by ex for being 20 minutes late.

We were both about 12, and my cousin was spending the night with me at our Granny's. Big, old, strange house with a tin roof. I can still hear the sound of pecans dropping off the tree on to the roof. Anyway, they let Robin and me sleep in the front room, off the porch. We were smoking cigarettes that we'd pinched from Lois. Blowing the smoke out the window.

Best: Caught a buzz off the nicotine.
Worst: Mom came through the door (no knock) and said: I know what y'all are doing. I can see the screen imprints on your lips.

Worked as a lifeguard at Warriors Path water slide. Person at the top spaced the riders and another in the pool area helped to speed up the process of getting people out of the landing pool. Heavier riders picked up speed as they went down the slide. This is what happened to a big guy as he flew down the slide and hit the land pool with force. The carnage was everywhere.

Bad: As he hit the pool I thought I would have to write up some accident report.
Good: In the melee a girl lost her top.

My baseball team sold doughnuts at the racetrack as a fundraiser one year. We would walk through the campground and sell them by the dozen.

Best: Being 11 years old and eating a box and a half on my own as fuel for all that walking.

Worst: Puking for the next two days and not being able to eat or even smell a Krispy Kreme original glazed two decades later.

This will be long: I posted in another thread about my pnut butter and squirrels experience. Those tree rats chewed a hole in the shake siding below my bedroom window, too. My ladder didn't reach to patch it. Wrens moved in. Woke every morning to the chirping at feeding time. Had to wait til babies could fly before getting someone to fix the hole. Anyway, it doesn't end there (never does.) Varmints gnawed beside my front door. Honeybees moved in. Bees did what bees do...swarm. I was just going to spray with insecticide and patch the siding. Someone told me that if dead bees and wax were left inside, it would rot the wood.

Best: I hired a beekeeper
Worst: He still charged me after he took the queen AND honeycomb
Lesson: Do NOT buy a cedar shake sided home in Kennesaw, Georgia

Reactions: tbh and CobbVol
Well, after all the critters I felt like you could huff and puff and blow my house down. Smart pigs buy brick.

Reactions: the_todd
In the early 90s, I went to an operating industrial brick kiln and looked through their inventory, hoping to match the brick of my then home. Came up empty handed. Found a match from a salvage company’s used bricks.

Reactions: Juanita
I was walking with my best friend, Melinda. We were both about 10 years old. Her dog, Lady, was with us. Walking down the middle of Orebank Road (retrospect: dumb move) because the weeds were too high on the shoulders. A car came barreling up behind us.

Best: Melinda and I didn't get hit
Worst: Lady did. First experience with death

For Tin Man: Saw this walking with Mom today. There was a time I'd have carried all of it back home.

In the early 90s, I went to an operating industrial brick kiln and looked through their inventory, hoping to match the brick of my then home. Came up empty handed. Found a match from a salvage company’s used bricks.

1649716674446.jpeg

I can't sleep. Deliberated about posting this memory here or in the pet thread. My ex had 2 big dogs. Buck was a full blooded Golden and Remus was a Springer spaniel mix. Remus was sweet. Buck was too smart for his own good. It's like he knew every time we had plans, and he'd dig out underneath the chain link fence. Gone. I posted more "Have you seen this dog?" fliers in Kennesaw than Julie Love's family did for her. Ok, that was uncalled for.

Best: He always came back. When he felt like it. Buck. Not my ex. Well, yeah, him too.
Worst: "Friends" started the party at Lake Burton without us. I was bringing half the food. Should have fed it to the dang dogs and stayed home.

I idolized my cousin Sharon in Gordon, Georgia. She was a couple of years older (well, she still is.) I was 9 or so and spending the night at her house. Heaven!

Best: We raided the fridge before midnight.
Worst: I fell asleep with a bread 'n butter pickle in my mouth. When I tried to pull the pickle out the next morning, half of my inner cheek mucosa peeled off with it. Nasty sore.

I am going to throw this in here bc it is a memory. My niece sometimes accompanied Mom and me on short walks in the neighborhood. She was only 4 then. One of the neighbors had a well made board fence. Lauren knew there was an animal behind the fence and that its name was "Wiggles." She tried looking under the fence and through the boards with no success. Mom and I lifted her up so that she could peer into the backyard. She looked down at us with her big blue eyes and gasped: Him's a dog! We fell out laughing.

There's big rocks everywhere 🤣. I live about 10 minutes from the river, in a couple different directions in northeast Georgia.

Just scrolling back through to make sure I hadn't posted a story before. I know how y'all get after double posters, haha! We'd put in about Riverbend Apartments (they probably aren't there anymore.) In Vinings area because the frat's housemother let us store tubes in the crawlspace under her home. I don't know how far down we'd float to reach the rocks. Water was slow and beer was fast. There was a deep pool (I never touched bottom when I jumped) and a small island not too far down from that.

Reactions: joevol33
We had a gerbil. Well, two at one point, but the female killed the male. Kept her in an old aquarium with a plywood board across the top. She got out.

Best: We found her two days later behind the refrigerator. The telling sign was the foam crumbs at the base of the fridge where she'd chewed into the insulation.
Worst: Daddy caught and pitched her outside into the woods. Owl snack, I guess.

Just scrolling back through to make sure I hadn't posted a story before. I know how y'all get after double posters, haha! We'd put in about Riverbend Apartments (they probably aren't there anymore.) In Vinings area because the frat's housemother let us store tubes in the crawlspace under her home. I don't know how far down we'd float to reach the rocks. Water was slow and beer was fast. There was a deep pool (I never touched bottom when I jumped) and a small island not too far down from that.
I know that part of the ‘Hooch.

Edit: The blond guy in the river raft race poster worked with me at Turtle’s Records & Tapes. He died.

Once a man, twice a child.
Movies pre Netflix, crap movies after netflix.
Nothing but comic book character movies now. I gave up comic books at 12 YO or thereabouts.
I never thought I would be excited about a new Jurassic movie, but I hope to see it.

VN Store

Back