Best/Worst Times as a Kid

Juanita

What are you up to?
Okay, I'll start with worst. Me, my brother. and two cousins were tramping through the woods. Andy stumped his toe in a yellowjacket nest. Bees were flying. We ran like heck. Mom pasted us all down with baking soda. My brother had to go to the hospital. Found out he was allergic to stings.

Best: I don’t remember how old I was, but getting a Nintendo 64 for Christmas plus Madden 2001

Runner up - Catching a massive bass on my last cast in the pouring rain on my grandfathers pond. I must’ve stood out in the rain for 30 minutes.

Worst: Getting attacked by a neighborhood dog, I just remember my mom freaking out and a lot of blood and scratches on me.

For reference, I just went with under 10. Obviously better and worse things have happened to me.

Best and worst are tied together. Worst moment, my dad worked in the coal mine, and had actually got hurt pretty bad, ruptured 3 disc in his back. He went back to work, and there was a rock fall inside the mine, and 3 men were killed. The company called our house, and I answered the phone. I remember giving it to my mom, and her dropping it screaming and crying. We sit there for hours, family and friends had came over, it was surreal the thought of my dad being dead. In the middle of everything, later that night, my dad walked in the door. We just all grabbed him hugging and crying. What was the worst feeling ever, was suddenly an overwhelming joy. What had happened, he was put on light duty, and the man running his machine got killed. The office people were informed which jobs had the fatalities, and didn't know my dad had been doing something else, so they called to inform us. Still remember the emotions of both those moments.

Worst: Finding out, as a 2nd grader, that my mom had been diagnosed with cancer along with everything that could potentially bring.

Best: Seeing her fight it, beat it, and live a long and healthy life to this day.

2nd Best: My Gramps teaching me how to shoot out on my great uncle's farm. Pistol, shotgun, rifle...I was maybe 8 or 9. We raided the blueberry bushes for a snack afterwards.

I dont remember many bests, not that there wasnt lots of good times but I've never really had happiness as an emotion that lingers in memories.

Worst was likely my grandad getting sick and selling all the cattle in some regrettable drunken decision making. It kind of started a slow but steady decline in my family and their togetherness and all

Had a lot of good times when I was a kid. Going to Lollapalooza at 14 sticks out though.

Worst, probably when my best friend moved to Holland.

Best: I was four years old. Taking dancing lessons. I got to wear a purple tutu and put on makeup. Put makeup on my little brother, too. Worst at that time, our dog died. From distemper. In hindsight maybe a shot could have prevented it. Haha.

Best: Christmas Day 1977. I officially graduated from a mini-bike to a motorcycle. I got a Suzuki RM 125. I must have put a half-million miles on that motorcycle.

Worst (excluding death):

Honorable Mention 1: The day I slide under a Ford pickup truck on the same motorcycle mentioned above. My right knee was turned around backwards, broken right ribs, broken right arm, broken right thumb, hurt neck and back along with miscellaneous cuts and bruises. The truck owner was more worried about a scratched bump than dragging me out from under the truck. Ford sure did use hard bumpers back then.

Honorable Mention 2: The day I decided to imitate my hero, Evel Knievel, by jumping the same above mentioned motorcycle over a dogbed, front-end of a Buick car, and picnic table. The plan seemed solid, but being a 12 year old, I simply did not have the knowledge, experience, or tools to build a safe and sturdy take-off or landing ramp (if I had gotten that far). Once again the ground caught me breaking my left and right thumb, twisted my left knee clockwise around backwards, hurt my neck and back along with miscellaneous cuts and one Hell of a knot on my head. Probably would have helped if the dogbed, car, and table would have all been the same height. It certainly would have been nice to have Google and YouTube back then for help in building ramps.

After writing the above, I am beginning to see why I difficulty in getting around now.

Last edited:
Best: anytime with my grandfather. Specifically working cattle or pigs when I was young.

Worst: going to school. Could of learned more following the old guys around than I ever learned in there. (Table of knowledge)

How true this is. Luckily, I became old enough to realize how blessed I was to spend any time with my grandfather before he passed away.

A lot of wasted teenage years thinking that time was boring.

Best: Getting the N64 when it came out. I vividly remember playing Wave Race 64 all day that day. Also spent a lot of time playing Super Mario 64 in the coming months.

Worst: When my grandfather passed away (NOV 2000). Sat by his bed for a couple of days basically nonstop. When I finally went to shower at the house, he passed. I remember watching the Vikings - Packers game, and the crazy catch by Antonio Freeman around that time. It's always stuck with me. TBH, his funeral is probably the biggest reason I joined the Army. He was retired so he got a full military funeral.

This was only a few months after my grandmother passed away (the same day I had my shoulder surgery, AUG 2000).

Best and worst are tied together. Worst moment, my dad worked in the coal mine, and had actually got hurt pretty bad, ruptured 3 disc in his back. He went back to work, and there was a rock fall inside the mine, and 3 men were killed. The company called our house, and I answered the phone. I remember giving it to my mom, and her dropping it screaming and crying. We sit there for hours, family and friends had came over, it was surreal the thought of my dad being dead. In the middle of everything, later that night, my dad walked in the door. We just all grabbed him hugging and crying. What was the worst feeling ever, was suddenly an overwhelming joy. What had happened, he was put on light duty, and the man running his machine got killed. The office people were informed which jobs had the fatalities, and didn't know my dad had been doing something else, so they called to inform us. Still remember the emotions of both those moments.
touching story
hard to imagined what you went through

How true this is. Luckily, I became old enough to realize how blessed I was to spend any time with my grandfather before he passed away.

A lot of wasted teenage years thinking that time was boring.

I can honestly say, I spent more time with my grandfather than I did anyone until I was 17 or 18.

Took my wife in now,(15 years ago) to meet my grandparents, and I can still remember his smile after she came in the door.

Best: anytime with my grandfather. Specifically working cattle or pigs when I was young.

Worst: going to school. Could of learned more following the old guys around than I ever learned in there. (Table of knowledge)
lucky you
have no memories of either of my grandfathers except for watching tenn-texas am bowl game with bed-riddien granddad in mid-50s

Hey, Sudden Impact. I didn't mean to sound itchy. Being a kid is a state of mind sort of like young and old.

Best: riding on the back of my cousin's dirt bike across my granddaddy's newly furrowed garden. Until she turned it over and the engine burned my thigh. Somebody ought to tell kids not to ride in shorts. The burn was so bad that Granddaddy didn't get ticked. Guess that was a win/win. Except for the scar.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

VN Store

Back