Best way to slow down Drew Lock

we have some boys that's gonna ball out...expect a couple interceptions and possibly a fumble or two...this team is hungry for more...:cool:

GO VOLS...BEAT TIGERS!

Reactions: OneVolNation
Just have our front line boys collapse his OL. Be in his face all game. Despite my lack of faith in the guys most of the season, I now think they've been Pruittized and ready to bake cornbread in Drew Lock's head.

Best way to stop him, keep hitting him until he doesn't want to play any more and goes to the NFL where it's a little easier than playing the Vols.

putting Atomic Balm in his jockstrap could help, but this will maybe work better...Mr. Lock, meet the Taylor Bros...Alontae and Darrell...:D

GO VOLS...BEAT TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have maybe 1 % of JP's football acumen . That said - this Drew Lock guy is wicked good: I was shocked he didnt go NFL last year ( probably too much competition ) To me the only chance you have is rushing 5-8 guys almost every down. The Gators played alot of zone and he destroyed them. I know that our DBs are not great at man-to man coverage , but there is really no other way to win this game. Plus it's gonna take many points and we need to gamble of offense also. If the team is as fired-up today as last week, we will win the game. But, it wont be easy. Even a good QB can't throw if he is on his back all the time. GBO!!!!!

I would bring the dogs and make contact on every play. Give him zero time. He would get some big plays but would not be able to keep a drive going. What you don't want is for him to get comfortable and slice you to death with that arm. A good opening play would be to let both DE's jump a second early and dump him. Worth the 5 yard penalty. Set the tone.

Reactions: savannahfan
Read the threads on Lock’s performances against the SEC. He doesn’t look as good without the padded stats from the cupcakes.

Oh, he's good. Don't doubt it.

But pressure up the middle always gives "great" QB's trouble. That and ever changing coverage in pass defense leaves them little time to decide where to throw. Now, if he takes off you must not let him outside, so don't over commit from there. Lately we have shown pretty good ability up the middle. Taylor has been really good. (herein may be a problem - -over commit) The question is can our youngsters out back do the things disguising coverages. I feel the those guys outback have developed well enough to cover. I don't think they will be able to run very well against us. We can score enough? Who knows at this point. GO VOLS!!!!

Stop the run
i have maybe 1 % of JP's football acumen . That said - this Drew Lock guy is wicked good: I was shocked he didnt go NFL last year ( probably too much competition ) To me the only chance you have is rushing 5-8 guys almost every down. The Gators played alot of zone and he destroyed them. I know that our DBs are not great at man-to man coverage , but there is really no other way to win this game. Plus it's gonna take many points and we need to gamble of offense also. If the team is as fired-up today as last week, we will win the game. But, it wont be easy. Even a good QB can't throw if he is on his back all the time. GBO!!!!!
stop the run and score early. If they are one dimensional we will force errors.

The best way to shut down a good offense is to have your own long, sustained drives that keep the ball away and help to keep their offense out of rhythm…not to mention keeping our defense rested.

Our DBs are pretty good at man to man..

Good post. I have less than your one percent but, to me, it seems like stopping their run game first gives us our best chance. If we can do that like we did KY, then we can focus on maybe jamming their receivers hard at the line to buy us a second or two for our pash rush. Our LBs have to really play the screens well, too, or Lock will kill us with those. For some reason, I smell some picks for our secondary. Our offense HAS to come out strong and put some points up...but, like most everybody else, I believe our D will win this game for us. Let's see how Dooley can game plan for a Pruitt defense.

But what do I know?

Too me, this seems like the perfect situation where you dress your hardest hitting, undisciplined practice squad guy. Stick him outside the DE. Tell him to blitz and play to the echo of the whistle's echo. I understand sportsmanship, but I would never let one guy be the difference in a team sport game where contact is allowed.

The best way to slow down lock is for us to be fans and let the team do what the coach ask them to do. Our only job is to be as loud as possible not draw up a gameplan.

Agree totally.

Where's the fun in talking football and strategy when we can just type Go Vols at each other all afternoon?

I have to say, I absolutely LOVE the fact that the team has been playing good ball the last few games, has shown improvement over the season, and that there is a decent chance they win today.

Getting pressure on him with the front 4 would be ideal.

Allows them to lay back and confuse him with blitzes or fake blitzes from the back 7 which could lead to turnovers.

Think we will get his A game today though. He is playing for NFL scouts as much as anything now.

Vols will need to put 30 + on the board to win this one IMO.

Oh, he's good. Don't doubt it.

But pressure up the middle always gives "great" QB's trouble. That and ever changing coverage in pass defense leaves them little time to decide where to throw. Now, if he takes off you must not let him outside, so don't over commit from there. Lately we have shown pretty good ability up the middle. Taylor has been really good. (herein may be a problem - -over commit) The question is can our youngsters out back do the things disguising coverages. I feel the those guys outback have developed well enough to cover. I don't think they will be able to run very well against us. We can score enough? Who knows at this point. GO VOLS!!!!
Agree. Collapse the pocket, pressure him up the middle if possible. No qb is nearly as good with pressure up the middle. Easier said than done though, not sure we have the personnel to do it, so can JP scheme it? Our young corners are good, not sure if they’re up to the task of playing their good WRs man up all day. Got faith in JP to win a chess match, just wish he had a few more chess pieces.

VN Store

Back