best sitcoms ever

I've actually only watched a couple episodes of Freaks and Geeks randomly on IFC. A few of the same cast isn't it?

Both were done by Judd Apatow. When he pitched the show to Fox, he originally wanted the exact same cast for Undeclared as Freaks and Geeks, but Fox nixed it and would only agree to Seth Rogan and Jason Segal was given a recurring role. Several of the F&G actors had guest appearances though.

I thought both were good though and deserved more than just one season, although I guess if F&G had gotten a second season Undeclared may not have ever been made.

Both were done by Judd Apatow. When he pitched the show to Fox, he originally wanted the exact same cast for Undeclared as Freaks and Geeks, but Fox nixed it and would only agree to Seth Rogan and Jason Segal was given a recurring role. Several of the F&G actors had guest appearances though.

I thought both were good though and deserved more than just one season, although I guess if F&G had gotten a second season Undeclared may not have ever been made.

I just discovered Freaks and Geeks a year or so ago. It's easily the best Teen Dramedy to ever air. I guess it was too similar to That 70's Show but more realistic. It would be cool if they did a reunion movie. Apatow could do it right.

WKRP in Cincinnati is one of my favorites. They did stuff that can't be done today. The episode where the salesman (I forget his name) maybe Sid? accidentally spray painted his son's pet frog and it died. He brought it to work, whether scripted or not and got some hilarious ad-libs from the cast.

The one where Johnnie Fever got tested to prove that alcohol slows the reflexes down and his reactions get faster after every shot...priceless, whether it sends a good message or not..

Edit: Herb was the salesman's name, I think..

Last edited:
Reactions: CPA
I just discovered Freaks and Geeks a year or so ago. It's easily the best Teen Dramedy to ever air. I guess it was too similar to That 70's Show but more realistic. It would be cool if they did a reunion movie. Apatow could do it right.

Definitely. I remember it coming on NBC originally in 1999 but I never watched it, and I would see it in syndicated reruns a few years later but never watched. Then about 2 years ago searching for something else to watch in the summer I saw it was on several of the "Best shows that never made it" lists.

I thought it was outstanding, and definitely is one of the best shows that wasn't given a chance. Had it come out now it likely would have been picked up by one of the cable channels. That was before the cable networks really got into doing their own shows. I was amazed at how many actors were on it that are all now well known.

I also thought it was funny how Franco and Busy Philipps played an on-screen couple but couldn't stand each other in real life.

WKRP in Cincinnati is one of my favorites. They did stuff that can't be done today. The episode where the salesman (I forget his name) maybe Sid? accidentally spray painted his son's pet frog and it died. He brought it to work, whether scripted or not and got some hilarious ad-libs from the cast.

The one where Johnnie Fever got tested to prove that alcohol slows the reflexes down and his reactions get faster after every shot...priceless, whether it sends a good message or not..

I remember the episode when they dropped live turkeys over a shopping center as a thanksgiving promo. Les the news guys was reporting live and it mimiced the old news recording doing the hindenburg crash. Turkey falling from the sky, bouncing off cars... people running in panic, oh the humanity.... LOL I think it ended with one of them walking through the station with a blank look mumbling, "I thought they could fly".

Reactions: SlipKidVol and CPA
Haven't read over the thread to see if it's been mentioned or not but Hogan's Heros is one of the best shows ever imo.

Scrubs
That 70's show
Unhappily Ever After (Just for Mr. Floppy)

and my favorite, Malcom in the Middle

My list would be:

The Andy Griffith Show
Hogan's Hero's
MASH
King of Queens
Scrubs
That 70's Show

Probably a couple more but they have slipped my mind at the moment.

The falling turkeys episode is one of my favorite TV episodes of all time.

I am sure this one has been mentioned in this thread but Fresh Prince of Belair will always be my favorite sitcom.

How I Met Your Mother and Brooklyn 99 are my top two right now. I watch these on repeat all the time.

Others include:

New Girl
Arrested Development
Friends
Community
Parks and Rec
The Office

VN Store

Back