Best SEC Town/City (other than KnoxVegas)

Definitely Nashville. Awesome city. Knoxville would be second, if you allowed me to put it on the list. Athens would probably be third. Lexington probably fourth. Most of the rest are just little sleepy towns with no great distinguishing characteristics (not that there's anything wrong with small towns, as a Tullahoma boy, I like 'em). The hell-holes are Starkville and Tuscaloosa.

Have to caveat all the above with: never been to Baton Rouge, College Station, or either of the Columbias (Mizzou or South Carolina). Well, I drove through Columbia SC on the interstate a few times, but didn't really see the city. So don't know where they'd fit.
The stadium is away from everything else. Kinda takes a way from the experience. Columbia itsself is pretty nice, I didn't mind my 2 years there.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
loved being in athens and oxford on non-football weekends, but no place is worse than this hellhole SEC town which we live too close to.

Give me Nashville once COVID goes away. I might disown Knoxille should the word "Knoxvegas" become popular

Reactions: BlinghamptonVol
The stadium is away from everything else. Kinda takes a way from the experience. Columbia itsself is pretty nice, I didn't mind my 2 years there.

I would concur with this Tuscaloosa and Starkville would seem to be the bottom 2. Heard alot of good things about BW Arkansas, so I'd assume its kind of like Athens without having to deal with Gawja fandom. If you are kid free and want that urban vibe then Nashville easily. Now, for honrable mentions. Best non-SEC town?

Nashville isn’t fun to anyone that doesn’t drink a lot. Traffic is atrocious and it’s ridiculously expensive these days.

Every SEC town has a few high points. Really liked Fayetteville and it’s setting in the Ozarks.

Fayetteville, Athens, and Tuscaloosa would probably be my top three.

Reactions: BlinghamptonVol
I would concur with this Tuscaloosa and Starkville would seem to be the bottom 2. Heard alot of good things about BW Arkansas, so I'd assume its kind of like Athens without having to deal with Gawja fandom. If you are kid free and want that urban vibe then Nashville easily. Now, for honrable mentions. Best non-SEC town?

Manhattan, KS

If you had to live in an SEC town, other Knoxville, which would that be? Would your answer be different if you weren't a Vols fan?
Assuming income was there, Nashville, toss up between College Station and Gainesville, Lexington & Columbia, SC third tier.

Reactions: golfballs
My intimacy with Knoxville ended in 1976 when I got my degree and took a job in Baton Rouge. Lived in BR twice for a total of 10 years, and I liked it well but left it for good in 2000 and post-Katrina it’s not quite so nice from what I hear. From around 1999 till 2013 or so, I made several trips a year to Columbia, SC for business on campus and went to a few games there too, and I do like that town.

Alwyas wondered about the Little Apple. Used to drive by going to and from Denver. I figured it had too much of an Army town feel, with Riley being so close.

It’s a cool town. Aggieville is what they call the small bar district across from campus. It’s real cool. Flint Hills give the town a mountainous feeling.

https://www.aggieville.org/

Gainesville for the sunshine year round and the pretty women in shorts and bikinis and you are never far away from a beach.

VN Store

Back