Best Morning Vols Talk Show?

Free beer and hot wings. Anything meaningful said on many of these terrible morning shows, will end up on volnation with in a matter of minutes.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Not a big fan of Tyler and Heather, Josh Ward and Will West, but Ainge and Brian do a super job IMHO, and Jimmy and John aren't a bad listen either but I'd rather not listen to Swain and his yes men that agree with everything he says. I tend to lean more to hosts who have played or have been involved with the University in a major way. While Swain played his talk show skils leave a lot to be desired for me that is. At least Erik and Brain have Silverberg who always questions their takes. Makes for fun radio for me..... but then again opinions are like......you know the rest. WNML let's the fans out of state have an insight into whats going on with the program and a great feed on Saturdays when the announcers on TV are intolerable, I.E. (Gary Danielson).

Last edited:
Swain hands down! I listen through the App.
After Swain I move to Ainge until Basilio comes on. Fox sports knoxville the rest of the day.

Ok, totally fed up with WNML morning talk show. It is basically wall to wall commercials now. What do the rest of you listen to while to getting ready for work in the morning? Now that it is basically football season, I need somewhere to get real news, not just fluff and ads.

If they're not in a commercial break, they are plugging commercials into their shows. It gets annoying. I've also noticed that if you go to listen to them on an app such as TuneIn or iHeartRadio, you have to listen to a 30 second commercial about tires BEFORE you can even play the station.

I know this thread is about morning shows but I think the 104.5 The Zone afternoon show is kinda bad too. I'm not sure how Davenport got her job on the SEC Network. More laughing like little girls goes on than anything else and bad takes.

Ainge provides some great insight to the strategy of football, especially QB play. The guy knows football and does a good job of explaining what he sees. He is not good at ad libbing anything outside of football and Rice adds very little to the show.

Hyams and Wilkerson are still the best at providing information about the program and the SEC. They have actual contacts and are able to give accurate information w/o the drama of other shows. Plus, I like how they don't allow callers to spout incessant nonsense.

WNML's early show 7-9 and the noon time show are just low budget air fillers. I no longer listen to those shows.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
I agree with The Swain Event. It's a part of my weekday ritual. I feel like he tells it how it is and seems to have good information.

Whenever I read something crazy on here, I can't wait to hear Swain talk about it the next day. He usually does a good job of filling in some missing info or telling people to hold their horses.

Hands down my favorite VOL morning show.

I like Swain, his co-host buddy needs replaced. He sucks. Unfortunately my schedule doesn't let me catch him live that often. I am able to listen from 9 onward. Ainge is fine when he isn't crying/whining over JG. If he'd play the smart guy role instead of the goof he'd be more enjoyable. Yes the ads have gotten more and more invasive. Consequently, I listen less and less. Josh Ward isn't too bad, at times his shtick gets old. Heather is an absolute moron. Every ten minutes she opens her mouth and says something that proves she has no clue. If she was a guy, she'd have been fired already. Only girl, we're stuck with her for another decade.

As for TB, isn't he still calling for Gruden to arrive any minute. The only contacts he might have come with a prescription from the eye doctor.

Basilio is extremely entertaining. Is a lot of discernment required when listening? Yes, but still entertaining.

I listened to Basilio way back in the 90’s when I lived in Knoxville during the glory days. I still listen to him out here in Arizona today. I guess I am loyal to him and started with him years ago when he really didn’t have any competition. The only other show was a ‘sheep’ show that kissed the UT admin and coaching staffs rear ends. Basilio was never shy about his opinion and was never PC. I liked that. I also love the Basilio post game shows where former VFLs like Tony Robinson and Jerry Colquitt join him. The callers and his interaction with them are what really makes the show entertaining. He gives all the regulars pet names. He also has a couple of youngsters (a guy and girl) in the studio who balance things out with some more polished feedback.

Reactions: Hurley Mooncalf
Ok, totally fed up with WNML morning talk show. It is basically wall to wall commercials now. What do the rest of you listen to while to getting ready for work in the morning? Now that it is basically football season, I need somewhere to get real news, not just fluff and ads.

I worked late enough to listen to about 20 minutes of some show on WNML this morning after it started around 6:10 all I heard was some guy talking about his cul de sac. For 10 more minutes this went on until I made it home and turned it off. That was worthless.

Last edited:
I worked late enough to listen to about 20 minutes of some show on WNML this morning after it started around 6:10 all I heard was some guy talking about his cul de sac. For 10 more minutes this went on until I made it home and turned it off. That was worthless.
I try and time tune in time with the traffic report at 612ish. I left it on while clay was in a commercial break and heard this. Just went with silence after a few minutes of Tyler Ivans talking about himself.

VN Store

Back