Best High School Player Seen

If I’m not mistaken believe Lovie might have been at AZ before he got here as Mikal was only here 1 or 2 year. smith was arrested a few years ago in AZ.
I think he was Arizona State before us with en went to OSU after. I think he was at ASU with Marmie but it’s been so long I may be off. Milan was always nice to me, I hate that things didn’t work out for him.

Reactions: BoiseVol
Troy Fleming - BGA
Bo Wallace - Giles County
Randall Cobb - Alcoa
Dontae Smith - Spring Hill , back to back seasons with over 2700 all purpose yards, now at Ga Tech
Orlando "Papa" Wade - Spring Hill, back to back Mr. Football winner in its first two years of existence, over 10k all purpose yards in his career.

Dontae Hightower played at Marshall County, surprisingly, he wasn't that impressive in high school

Reactions: ArdentVol
Hickey was entertaining doing both here of football and basketball. Played for Tennessee Travelers and could hoop too as good as anyone.

Kevin was the one who made the kickoff return against us the year Memphis beat us. Ended up being play of the year as the went down but never touched
Right, I forgot about that kick return! They both had wheels. I saw one of them maybe 7 or 8 years ago at the gym. Obviously I didn't know which one but man, whichever one it was, he was absolutely jacked.

He was indeed a hoss. I think he signed with Purdue.
Appalachia had some really good teams back in the day. Those boys could play some ball and put a whipping on much bigger schools.
Yes, went to Purdue and unfortunately flunked out. Rumor has it he rushed for 500 yards in a freshman game. Died saving some kids from drowning in the Atlantic Ocean.

Who are the best High Football players you have watched play in person:

Al Wilson he was playing Safety and was just killing ball carriers. You could just see he was going to be special, speed and furious hits.

Dante Hicky (Spelling?) from Cleveland: saw him play several times and in the KY/TN all-star game. He was electric, played WR and returner but never made it to college because of ???. Best player I've seen in person.

Kelly Holcomb, Chad Henderson and a WR named Grogan on the Lincoln County team in the early 90's-time frame. Kelly would throw a 30-yard dart and you could hear hit the guys in the pads up in the stands. I was surprised Kelly didn't go to a bigger school than MTSU but he had an incredible career. I thought Grogan was the best player on the field, he was a big WR who would catch anything near him and I'm sorry I can't remember his first name, no disrespect intended. I don't think he played college ball anywhere and that was a shame because he was very talented.

Kenny Witherspoon (Spelling) RB I think Stradford High and went to Vandy. He was just smooth and had a Walter Payton type running style, not that he was Walter but just he made moves with no effort, just fun to watch.

I hope I got the names and schools correct. Just my opinion so who is yours?
Reggie Bush
Herschel Walker
Derrick Henry
Travis Henry
Peyton Manning
Reggie White

Look these guys up and try to argue!

By far the best after HS……but their have been several dynamic hs players from there. Granted……they did nothing in college
Trey was the best in HS also. Highest rated recruit they ever had. His position didn’t get him all the hype that a skill position player would get. But when you saw him on the field he was that much better.

Put him in the DI 4A against Milan and Haywood he would still have been as dominant.

Trey was the best in HS also. Highest rated recruit they ever had. His position didn’t get him all the hype that a skill position player would get. But when you saw him on the field he was that much better.

Put him in the DI 4A against Milan and Haywood he would still have been as dominant.
I went to Old Hickory Academy before we moved to Nashville. Still hate that it’s now USJ

Reggie White, Charles Morgan, Jimmy Braddock, Michael Poole, Odell Mosteller, Nick Morken, all in basketball
Maybe not all are well known, but in Chattanooga sports at that time, these guys were unbelievable

Reactions: Ernest T. Vol
Who are the best High Football players you have watched play in person:

Al Wilson he was playing Safety and was just killing ball carriers. You could just see he was going to be special, speed and furious hits.

Dante Hicky (Spelling?) from Cleveland: saw him play several times and in the KY/TN all-star game. He was electric, played WR and returner but never made it to college because of ???. Best player I've seen in person.

Kelly Holcomb, Chad Henderson and a WR named Grogan on the Lincoln County team in the early 90's-time frame. Kelly would throw a 30-yard dart and you could hear hit the guys in the pads up in the stands. I was surprised Kelly didn't go to a bigger school than MTSU but he had an incredible career. I thought Grogan was the best player on the field, he was a big WR who would catch anything near him and I'm sorry I can't remember his first name, no disrespect intended. I don't think he played college ball anywhere and that was a shame because he was very talented.

Kenny Witherspoon (Spelling) RB I think Stradford High and went to Vandy. He was just smooth and had a Walter Payton type running style, not that he was Walter but just he made moves with no effort, just fun to watch.

I hope I got the names and schools correct. Just my opinion so who is yours?

Mine is AJ Hawk who went one to play for Ohio State and then NFL…. He did absolutely everything, running back, line backer, h back, kicker, punter, return man, really unbelievable! The thing I remember the most about him was that he looked like he was moving slowly but he was out running everyone.

We played Maryville in the 76 AA semis at Athens... our starting center got hurt and my 150 lb bud... normally a DE and long snapper got the gig much to his dismay. Danny Spradlin was the Rebel's MLB and after the first play my bud came back to the huddle with his helmet on bac'erds griping about this was going to be a long night.

First post here, long time lurker. Man, I can't believe you brought up Dante Hickey. I've said it for years, he's the best high school football player I've ever seen. Fast, electric with the ball, unbelievably athletic. In the state title game, I think it was against Haywood, they were literally giving him a 15 yard cushion at the line of scrimmage when he lined up wide. Just unstoppable. There were two other great players from Cleveland, the twins Keith and Kevin Cobb who went on to play at Memphis. I'm not sure which one it was, but one of them made one of the most improbable catches I've ever seen to win the state title game. Cleveland had a lot of talent and a legendary coach in the mid 90's, 56 straight wins, three straight state titles. Here's an article from 2018 about Hickey.

Wiedmer: Dante Hickey hopes son Dy'Kari travels a different path [photos] | Chattanooga Times Free Press
Benny Monroe was the coach, I went to all three of those BCBS games. I think they won something like 54 games in a row

Last edited:
Albert Davis was a terror.

Larry Seviers was fun to watch in high school. I often wonder if David Fritts off that team had of had good knees how good he may of been.

Jackie Walker was another good player in high school.

Watched Golden Tate look like a man among boys while at JPII when I first moved back to the mid-state in ‘06. Was a phenomenal talent at 5’10”.

Da’Rick
Vic Beasley (Adairsville HS, Clemson DE drafted top 5 overall, insane running back in high school)
Vonn Bell (Ridgeland HS, better on offense in high school)
Adam Griffith (Calhoun, GA. Bama kicker from the kick 6, was warming up from 60 in high school.)

Reactions: LittleVol

VN Store

Back