Best High School Player Seen

Who are the best High Football players you have watched play in person:

Al Wilson he was playing Safety and was just killing ball carriers. You could just see he was going to be special, speed and furious hits.

Dante Hicky (Spelling?) from Cleveland: saw him play several times and in the KY/TN all-star game. He was electric, played WR and returner but never made it to college because of ???. Best player I've seen in person.

Kelly Holcomb, Chad Henderson and a WR named Grogan on the Lincoln County team in the early 90's-time frame. Kelly would throw a 30-yard dart and you could hear hit the guys in the pads up in the stands. I was surprised Kelly didn't go to a bigger school than MTSU but he had an incredible career. I thought Grogan was the best player on the field, he was a big WR who would catch anything near him and I'm sorry I can't remember his first name, no disrespect intended. I don't think he played college ball anywhere and that was a shame because he was very talented.

Kenny Witherspoon (Spelling) RB I think Stradford High and went to Vandy. He was just smooth and had a Walter Payton type running style, not that he was Walter but just he made moves with no effort, just fun to watch.

I hope I got the names and schools correct. Just my opinion so who is yours?
First post here, long time lurker. Man, I can't believe you brought up Dante Hickey. I've said it for years, he's the best high school football player I've ever seen. Fast, electric with the ball, unbelievably athletic. In the state title game, I think it was against Haywood, they were literally giving him a 15 yard cushion at the line of scrimmage when he lined up wide. Just unstoppable. There were two other great players from Cleveland, the twins Keith and Kevin Cobb who went on to play at Memphis. I'm not sure which one it was, but one of them made one of the most improbable catches I've ever seen to win the state title game. Cleveland had a lot of talent and a legendary coach in the mid 90's, 56 straight wins, three straight state titles. Here's an article from 2018 about Hickey.

Wiedmer: Dante Hickey hopes son Dy'Kari travels a different path [photos] | Chattanooga Times Free Press

Back in the same timeframe, Billy Williams @ Alcoa was fun to watch outrun everyone on the long ball. He was a Squirrel White type (physically), and could outrun just about anything around. Billy Williams was one fast cat!
Edit: I’m not looking it up, but after further thought, I’m guessing I first witnessed Billy at Alcoa in ‘85/‘86 timeframe in HS. Then, watched him haul in at least one long ball @ Neyland for the good guys shortly following. As I recall, Billy wasn’t the best student, but man he could fly. Would love to have him in this system.
Tennessee recruited and hoped after that. Had the JUCO routes and Prop 48 to help.

John Henderson, manchild was a Prop 48 and sat out the 1998 year.

Reactions: ArdentVol
First post here, long time lurker. Man, I can't believe you brought up Dante Hickey. I've said it for years, he's the best high school football player I've ever seen. Fast, electric with the ball, unbelievably athletic. In the state title game, I think it was against Haywood, they were literally giving him a 15 yard cushion at the line of scrimmage when he lined up wide. Just unstoppable. There were two other great players from Cleveland, the twins Keith and Kevin Cobb who went on to play at Memphis. I'm not sure which one it was, but one of them made one of the most improbable catches I've ever seen to win the state title game. Cleveland had a lot of talent and a legendary coach in the mid 90's, 56 straight wins, three straight state titles. Here's an article from 2018 about Hickey.

Wiedmer: Dante Hickey hopes son Dy'Kari travels a different path [photos] | Chattanooga Times Free Press
Hickey was entertaining doing both here of football and basketball. Played for Tennessee Travelers and could hoop too as good as anyone.

Kevin was the one who made the kickoff return against us the year Memphis beat us. Ended up being play of the year as the went down but never touched

Reggie White, Bob Johnson, John Hannah, Charles Hannah, Bobby Scott, Andy Kelly, Eddie Brown, Mike Jones, Terdell Sands, Donnie Elder, David Douglas, Steve Sloan, Reggie Mathis, Eddie Moore, Edwin Lovelady.

There was another great one that signed with Vols out of Howard High School with Reggie White but he quit after the Bama game and might have been more talented then Reggie White but can't remember his name.

Reactions: ArdentVol and 67Vol
Yep, couldn’t stay out of trouble, unfortunately. His freshman year at AZ was promising. OSU, UT, ASU were some schools he chose AZ over.
If I’m not mistaken believe Lovie might have been at AZ before he got here as Mikal was only here 1 or 2 year. smith was arrested a few years ago in AZ.

My cousin tells the story of playing Leroy Thompson in basketball. Said Majors and Joe Paterno were there to watch him play the same night.

Nicky Daugherty from Oneida High School. He was a DL and fast as any offensive player he went against, and twice as strong. I saw him lift the rear end of a mid 60s Impala so the owner could change the tire. He played only one game in Jr. High and was forced to play on the HS team (73-78) because he broke the other kids bones. A monster player, he had offers from several schools, but Auburn showed the most interest. He never went. Loved his HS sweetheart and stayed to be a family guy.

This pic from his Senior year. At a lean 325 pounds. He is number 74.

Screen Shot 2022-12-07 at 18.51.38.png

Last edited:
Back in the 70s your Tomcats were nearly unbeatable. Coached by one of the best ever HS coaches. Cooper was his name if I remember correctly.
Hooper. He wasn’t there for long in the 70’s. 70/71 may have been his last year. I can’t remember. Lassiter was coach when I started high school in 74

Last edited:
James "Little Man" Stewart. Seeing him play he was not a Little Man at all.

Fun fact - his dad served in the Morristown Fire Department even after his NFL success and was an exemplary employee.

Reactions: headhunter15
Reggie White Howard High School UT
Eric Westmoreland Marion County High School UT
Tommy (Freight Train) Trailor City High School Chattanooga UCLA
Andy Kelly Rhea County High School UT
Tom Cole Central High School Chattanooga New Mexico
I have to challenge you on this one because if you really saw Reggie White play at Howard, then you would have included Charles Morgan on your list. Even Reggie admitted Charles was the better player. There were 3 or 4 of the Morgan brothers and they all were ball players.

Jermaine Copeland. That dude literally did it all for Harriman back in the 90s. Unbelievable athlete

Watched him play several times.

He carried that team to the state championship game.

He played everywhere. I think he took care of the water during timeouts.

Unbelievable talented.

I think he made nice living playing in the CFL.

One I used to watch a lot because his school was 2 blocks from my house was Tommy Frazier when he was at Mantee high school in Bradenton..At the time my girlfriends daughters boyfriend played against him and said he was one of the hardest to tackle players he ever went against...The rest is history.

Peyton hillis Conway Arkansas vs van Buren Arkansas. I went to van Buren and was also in high school and the same conference as spring dale when malzahn was the coach.

Living in East Texas I’ve been able to see plenty but a few that stand out are:

Fred Talley (Longview) - Former Arkansas RB
Adrian Petersen (Palestine)
Keyuo Craver (Harleton) - Former Nebraska DB

VN Store

Back