Best Finish In Sports?

VolPack22

Jessica Alba wears my Daddy hat
What is the best finish in sports that you can remember?

Mine personally has to be the Music City Miracle just because I am a Titans fan and we came so close to winning the Super Bowl that year but I know there are too many to write. The ones that come to mind off the top of my head are:

Chris Davis kick 6
Mich St “Muffed Punt” game
Joe Carter Walk off Homer
Cubs Break the Curse
Doug Flutie Hail Mary
Boise St Statue of Liberty
Kris Jenkins game winner vs UNC in the NC
“Minneapolis Miracle”
“The Band Is Running On The Field”
“The Helmet Catch”
Watson Takes Down Bama
Michael Jordan’s shot vs Cleveland
Derek Fisher’s shot vs the Spurs
Robert Horry “Big Shot Bob”
“Philly Special”
Seattle Seahawks: “I still can’t believe they didn’t run the ball”
LSU’s Bluegrass Miracle

I love all sports and would like to see what everyone’s thoughts are on what they believe they think is the best finish you have ever seen?

Duke vs Kentucky 1992
Colorado vs Michigan 1994
USC vs Notre Dame 2005
Texas vs USC 2005
Kirk Gibson’s Home run vs Oakland
Manchester City vs QPR 2012, you have to be a soccer fan to understand

And two that hurt:
Super Bowl 42 Pats vs Giants
Game 7 2003 ALCS Yankees vs Red Sox(Aaron Boone)

Reactions: VolPack22
Duke vs Kentucky 1992
Colorado vs Michigan 1994
USC vs Notre Dame 2005
Texas vs USC 2005
Kirk Gibson’s Home run vs Oakland
Manchester City vs QPR 2012, you have to be a soccer fan to understand

And two that hurt:
Super Bowl 42 Pats vs Giants
Game 7 2003 ALCS Yankees vs Red Sox(Aaron Boone)
I take it you are a Boston fan. Y’all have had enough winning for 5 lifetimes lol

NC State vs Houston. Jimmie V game.
I am really showing my age now but when I was in 6th grade, our teacher let us listen to game 7 of the 1960 World Series games between the Yankees and Pirates. It was a wild back and forth game and tied bottom of the ninth when Bill Mazeroski hit the game winning home run. It was pretty wild in our classroom too.

Last edited:
Boise State over Oklahoma, hook and lateral or something, Fiesta Bowl, don't remember the exact year (2005ish?). Most exciting game I ever watched where I didn't have a dog in the race.
IMO, that was the greatest game in the modern era of college football until the Kick Six. It was an entertaining game the whole way and then ended with that incredible finish.

I'd have to say a few great finishes in sporting history that are memorable to me:

Kirk Gibson walk off home run at the World Series in 88
Kerri Strug at the 96 Olympics vaulting while injured
Reggie Miller's 8 points in 9 seconds (there is some controversy behind this one)
Michael Jordan's switch up layup (maybe not a great finish, but a great finish to a play)

And the Vol fan in me thinks this is one of the greatest finish in sports:

Boise State over Oklahoma, hook and lateral or something, Fiesta Bowl, don't remember the exact year (2005ish?). Most exciting game I ever watched where I didn't have a dog in the race.
At the time, I said that was the greatest game I ever watched. I don't know about best finish, though. But it sure was fun. I'd never seen the statue of liberty used before (except on the Jetsons).

great thread.

To me the greatest ending has to be "the play" or "kick six". Life is full of hail mary's and I don't see how you can say they're all that great if 50 or 100 games were decided that way. "The play" was pretty stupid, but the band coming on the field made it a whole lot better.

Good idea reminding us of Kerri Strug. That was unforgettable but I forgot it.

Last edited:
It’s a tie between Auburn returned fg with a second left vs Bama. And MSU running back the punt debacle vs Michigan.

Personal one is Holloway to Seivers two point conversion vs Clemson

Worth a mention
Arsenal winning the league on the last match of the season against Liverpool in 89

VN Store

Back