Best debut album ?

That wasn't their debut album. Their debut was "Hints Allegations And Things Left Unsaid", which had the single "Shine".

True that was their first studio album, but it was recorded by a local indie label in Atlanta. The band always referred to Blue as their debut studio album by a major label after being signed, Atlantic Records I think was their first major label starting out and may still be, but I'm not certain of that.

Good thread idea. Not saying it's the best, but the first one that comes to mind is Wyclef Jean. Take out all the skits and it's an amazing mix of hip-hop, folk, and island music. Beegees, Willie Nelson, Aaron Neville, Celia Cruz, etc. all on one album and it works.

The Carnival is a great album. I still think The Score by the Fugees is one of my all time favorites. I don’t think it was their debut, but their second.

Boston and the Beatles are what first popped into my head when I saw the thread title. Then Van Halen also. Saw BadCo posted above too. But my favorite is probably Pronounced 'Lĕh-'nérd 'Skin-'nérd. Throw in Second Helping and it'd be hard to find a better debut AND follow up. With the possible exception of Swamp Music, every track on 2H kicks ass.

Beatles are just flat out historic. They rustled a lot of jimmies with their stuff. Nearly 60 years later it's hard to believe how shocking they were. It's comical.

Misfits- Walk among US.
The Clash- Self titled
Dead Kenndys- Fresh Fruit for rotting vegetables
Johnny Cash- With his hot & blue guitar
Cannibal Corpse- Eaten back to life
Opeth- Orchid
Black Flag- Damaged
Circle Jerks- Group Sex
REM- Murmur
Bad Religion- How could hell be any worse?
In Flames- Lunar strain
Marty Robbins- Rock'n roll'n Marty Robbins
Cypress Hill- Self titled
Slayer- Show no mercy
Staler Brothers- Flowers on the wall
Wu tang clan- Enter the 36 chambers

Last edited:
Misfits- Walk among US.

I struggle with deciding which album is truly the Misfits' "debut." Walk Among Us was the first released, but Static Age was recorded four years earlier and wasn't released until the late 90s. By that point, almost all of the tracks were out on various EPs and singles. I suppose you have to go with the first released, but I actually like Static Age better start-to-finish.

Reactions: PEPPERJAX
I struggle with deciding which album is truly the Misfits' "debut." Walk Among Us was the first released, but Static Age was recorded four years earlier and wasn't released until the late 90s. By that point, almost all of the tracks were out on various EPs and singles. I suppose you have to go with the first released, but I actually like Static Age better start-to-finish.
If you ever purchase the box set (well worth it & shaped like a coffin) Static Age was first one recorded. Walk among US has a better track list IMO.

Reactions: BenGrimm
The Velvet Underground - & Nico
Pavement - Slanted and Enchanted
The Dream Syndicate - The Days of Wine and Roses
The Olivia Tremor Control - Dusk at Cubist Castle
Pixies - Surfer Rosa

Reactions: PEPPERJAX
Does The Chronic count as Snoop Dog’s debut album? He’s on almost every track.

CowboysFromHell.jpg

Thought of another not listed. Whether you liked the music or not, there is no denying Alanis Morissette provided the soundtrack for '95/'96. That album was everywhere. Although she released other albums in Canada, this was her first worldwide debut. And who provided her pain which inspired the music on the album?...Dave Coulier (rumored) of Full House fame.

Thought of another not listed. Whether you liked the music or not, there is no denying Alanis Morissette provided the soundtrack for '95/'96. That album was everywhere. Although she released other albums in Canada, this was her first worldwide debut. And who provided her pain which inspired the music on the album?...Dave Coulier (rumored) of Full House fame.
No love for ace of base huh? I thought they were the soundtrack of the mid 90s.

Reactions: McDad

VN Store

Back