Best debut album ?

Not his debut album, well technically but One Foot in the Grave was recorded before.

There are a lot of groups that you can get technical about their “debut” album. Is it the limited indie album they did? Or the first mainstream release?

Kinda why I made the joke about Snoop Dogg. Technically his “debut” album was Doggystyle but in reality his debut was Dr. Dre’s The Chronic in which he was on almost every track and heavily featured in the singles and marketing of that album.

Good point. There was the social justice message in some of gangsta rap. Sadly overshadowed by the other garbage.

I get what you are saying, but for some of those guys that was just their life, and you write about what you know. Now there were a lot of fake gangsters that exploited that too though.

I get what you are saying, but for some of those guys that was just their life, and you write about what you know. Now there were a lot of fake gangsters that exploited that too though.
I have a little different perspective because I grew up in that era, listed to GMF and the Furious Five, Run DMC, Zulu Nation, etc. As a young teenager I was very attracted to the HipHop movement. It was very positive. While I was in the suburbs one of my best friends went to Howard and the music was a huge reason why.

I have a little different perspective because I grew up in that era, listed to GMF and the Furious Five, Run DMC, Zulu Nation, etc. As a young teenager I was very attracted to the HipHop movement. It was very positive. While I was in the suburbs one of my best friends went to Howard and the music was a huge reason why.
Run DMC was my first exposure to hip hop. That crossover with AeroSmith was marketing genius even though DMC was against it. My roomie at band camp one year brought a cassette of Run DMC. I can still recite a few of those tunes today.

That makes sense, and understandable. When I discovered Hip Hop it was late 80's, 12 or 13 years old, so right around the time it shifted to the more hardcore stuff. The first half of my childhood was in a trailer park, the second half in the projects, half of my brain screamed Charlie Daniels and Hank Williams Jr the other half screamed Too Short and Tupac, so I was a confused soul. Lol

The Allman Brothers Band (self titled)
The Cars- The Cars
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers (self titled)
Beatles- Please Please Me
Pearl Jam - Ten
REM - Murmur
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin
The Doors - The Doors
Eagles - Eagles
The first album from the Allman Brothers Band is magical from start to finish! I love the lead guitar work on "Black Hearted Woman" and "Dreams" in particular, but there are so many good songs on there!

Reactions: knucklehead_vol
Can't believe this slipped my mind. Forget debuts, this may be the greatest album ever made, period.
It's a great album, but I think I like White Light/White Heat a little better (I love the volume contest between the keyboard and guitar on "Sister Ray" to close it out).

It's a great album, but I think I like White Light/White Heat a little better (I love the volume contest between the keyboard and guitar on "Sister Ray" to close it out).

As a pure distillation of what VU were, I would agree that WL/WH is the superior record. In terms of far-reaching influence, the banana album might be the most significant record in the history of pop music.

What makes the album arguably the greatest to you?
I'm not sure I can really put my finger on why I like it so much. RZA's beats are on point from start to finish. The only track I don't like on the album is tearz butit it's important to the overall theme of the because it shows the other side of their lifestyle. They made me believe they actually lived the stories they told. 👐

Reactions: McDad
Just thinking back over the past 30 years or so, quite a few of my favorite albums were bands' major label debuts:
Counting Crows - August....
MB20 - Yourself or Someone Like You
White Zombie - La Sexorcisto
RATM
PJ - 10
Green Day - Dookie
Alanis and Third Eye Blind (as earlier mentioned)
I consider Remember Two Things to be DMB's debut, so I give the nod to Under the Table

More recently: Chris Stapleton's and Tyler Childers's debuts will be almost impossible for them to beat.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Just thinking back over the past 30 years or so, quite a few of my favorite albums were bands' major label debuts:
Counting Crows - August....
MB20 - Yourself or Someone Like You
White Zombie - La Sexorcisto
RATM
PJ - 10
Green Day - Dookie
Alanis and Third Eye Blind (as earlier mentioned)
I consider Remember Two Things to be DMB's debut, so I give the nod to Under the Table

More recently: Chris Stapleton's and Tyler Childers's debuts will be almost impossible for them to beat.

No disrespect as everyone's musical tastes are different but I f'n hate counting crows lol, I always wanted to punch that dude in the face. Very punchable face.

Reactions: Roustabout
As a pure distillation of what VU were, I would agree that WL/WH is the superior record. In terms of far-reaching influence, the banana album might be the most significant record in the history of pop music.

I'm partial to Loaded

From the Cheap Trick debut - Bun E banging the cans, Peterson driving the song with his bass, Nielsen's searing guitar and Zander's incomparable voice.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
I couldn’t say, but I doubt the average person in the hood even know that stuff was going on.
I knew the family was in school at smith co at the time. She actually came to the school several times and discussed her reasoning for it. She never brought up rap that I remember but hated gnr with a passion I always had it playing in the gym. Especially when I knew she was there. I think she hated me just as much

Lots of good ones mentioned here.

Also

Nirvana. Self titled
Alice in chains. Dirt.
Rage against the Machine. RATM.
Korn.
Pearl Jam. Ten.
Cold play. Parachutes.
Mazzy star. So tonight...

Notorious B.I.G. Ready to die
Outkast. Southernplayalistik...
Tupac. Me against the world.
Bone Thugz n Harmony
Nas...

Calm down Delores Tucker you must not have heard Express Yourself lol
I still express, yo, I don't smoke weed or sess
Cause it's known to give a brother brain damage
And brain damage on the mic don't manage,

Dr.DreTheChronic.jpg

Reactions: BadJerry20
Lots of good ones mentioned here.

Also

Nirvana. Self titled
Alice in chains. Dirt.
Rage against the Machine. RATM.
Korn.
Pearl Jam. Ten.
Cold play. Parachutes.
Mazzy star. So tonight...

Notorious B.I.G. Ready to die
Outkast. Southernplayalistik...
Tupac. Me against the world.
Bone Thugz n Harmony
Nas...
Nice call on Mazzy Star and Bone Thugs.

AIC first major release was Facelift, which is also a great album.

I don’t recall seeing this one mentioned, but it would have to be up there.
Police
Outlandos d'Amour

GnR Appetite for Destruction.

Had several friends in high school with tickets to see Motley Crue (i think). The next school day after the concert all anyone who went talked about was the opening act. Guns n Roses became the it band seemingly overnight.

So many great song that still sound good 30+ years later.

There was something about GNR that was so raw when they first hit.

I honestly can listen to their entire albums from start to finish and there isn’t a single dud.

Use your illusions the blue album is still my favorite album to this day.

Yesterday is still damn damn good and not even one of their bigger well known hits.

Reactions: knucklehead_vol
Run DMC was my first exposure to hip hop. That crossover with AeroSmith was marketing genius even though DMC was against it. My roomie at band camp one year brought a cassette of Run DMC. I can still recite a few of those tunes today.

Man you and I must be almost the exact same age.

Raising hell was my jam.

Are you a fat boys fan too? I loved them.

VN Store

Back