Best Athlete to ever play at UT

Not sure he was quite that fast, but he was basically what Tim Tebow would’ve looked like wedged into a multiple I-formation style offense.

...but I think Tony Robinson might have been as good.
Know the family. The 4.5 time was legit. If he hadn't been a QB, he could have played safety and been a star.

Widby is hard to dispute. But, if your looking more modern, then I'd like to shake things up a bit and make a choice where the term "athlete" does not initially come to mind. I'm going to pick offensive linemen, first bc nobody else will, and secondly because these players come in a little different era, but were/are all 100% freaks of nature and unbelievably vicious & talented players. I'm naming 3 because I honestly could not differentiate between them as to who is "best".

I'll put in chronological order: Harry Galbreath, Aaron Sears(God rest his soul), and Trey Smith. Take your pick, because I can't tell.
692167_300x300_1.jpeg
17r6xs89gb4j7jpg.jpg

636405627667854591-UT-ISUFB-CM-10965.JPG

For shear "freakiness" whip the ass of everyone he ever lined up against, there is only one:

MR. Doug Adkins

End thread.

Man you got that right. And all that without the benefit of Working out., nutrition and supplements, and likely had a hangover! Pure Country Strong. Every Vol Fan needs to watch a documentary on Doug Atkins. Back when Men were Men ; He was THE MAN.

I can't believe no one has mentioned Dale Carter.
Marcus Allen called him the best athlete he'd ever seen when he finished his career with Carter at Kansas City.

Widby may be the most DECORATED....but that doesn't mean he's the best athlete.
I readily confess that I never saw him...but it's just too much of a stretch for me to think of a punter in FB as a great "athlete."

Doug Atkins--from everything that I've ever read, heard, or listened to--would get my vote.
Basketball....Football....Track as a High Jumper...

Excelling as a HIGH JUMPER in track takes an incredible amount of athleticism.

Know the family. The 4.5 time was legit. If he hadn't been a QB, he could have played safety and been a star.

The guy was a stud athlete beyond any doubt.
I still cannot figure out why Shuler didn't perform better in the NFL as a QB....
Any ideas?? What actually happened in Washington?
And I bet he'd find a place to blossom as a starter for sure in today's NFL.

Reactions: LittleVol
Adding to Allen’s endorsement, Marty Schottenheimer said Carter was the best athlete he had ever coached.
And Schottenheimer was around the League for a long, long time.

And, Oh...BTW....that Allen dude wasn't too shabby either. That's what has always struck me about Carter...that one of the GREATEST would say that about Carter.

You can tell there are some differences depending on the era. I tend to give the older posters more legitimacy with this one having seen more athletes come through the different programs.

I have heard a lot about Atkins and Widby so I have not doubt they were phenomenal.

Also as great as one sport athletes were like folks bringing up Cordarelle Patterson, Dale Carter had those return skills but was an All Pro Safety. He was the best at UT as soon as he stepped on the field from JUCO. We could say this about some others to come along but also consider UT won or shared 2 SEC titles while he was here I believe.

I'm going to go with someone I've seen in my lifetime. Pro football and Super Bowl champion, world class sprinter and Olympic Bobsledder. It's Willie Gault.

Reactions: TnScooby

VN Store

Back