Best Athlete to ever play at UT

WiseOlVol

D.O.U.G. A.D.K.I.N.S. Next thread please
In his collegiate career, he was considered one of, if not the, most dominant defensive players in SEC history. Atkins was the only unanimous selection to the SEC All Quarter-Century Team and was selected as the overall SEC "Player of the Quarter-Century" for the years 1950 to 1975.

Len Dawson tells the story of the first time he ever saw Doug Atkins, " It was the only time in my career I was glad I wasn`t starting."

"He was so big and so strong and when he wanted to do something he did it. Johnny Unitas told me one time Doug was the only player he was afraid of. Dick Butkus said the same thing. Now if you can imagine Dick Butkus being afraid of someone, you get an idea of how Doug affected people."

During a Fox NFL Sunday broadcast several years ago, John Madden recalled knowing several players who would skip the Pro Bowl because they didn't want to have to play against Doug Atkins. Pat Summerall said he knew some of those same players.

Bill Curry (Colts center, 1967-72) on playing Doug Atkins: "This guy is not a regular human being. If we don't irritate him, he will not kill any of us today. So, don't you dare mess with him."

Alex Hawkins (Colts running back, 1959-65): I saw him eliminate the entire Minnesota backfield. He put Brown and Mason out on two straight plays. And, the following week, he put Hornung and Taylor out with clotheslines on two consecutive plays.

Backwards K

Wise, I agree that Doug ATkins is the most dominant football player to ever play at Tennessee. He was voted as the Best Player of the Quarter Century in the SEC (1950-1975). Further, he was athletic enough to have come to UT on a basketball scholarship and he was a high jumper in track and field. But, he only played in one sport at the collegiate level. Flowers was an AA in football and was the fastest man in the world in his sport and was the heavy favorite for the gold medal in the high hurdles until he was injured.

The stories about Doug Atkins in the NFL are great. It's amazing how many NFL players were afraid of him......on and off the field.

VOLINVONORE

Mike Lucci was an outstanding athletic who grew up in Pennsylvania. He was an All American football and All American basketball player when he was in High School. He never played basketball for Tennessee but was a great talent. He was all Pro in the NFL and plaed for Cleveland and Detroit. He also ended up marrying a former Miss Tennessee.

VN Store

Sponsors