Best Angle and Slow mo of 4th and 24

On the front of the player angle they had, showed that the ball was tucked in with his left hand, waist-high.

The td that they took off earlier, during the sack rip-out fumble was absolutely a terrible call.
His right knee hit the turf at almost the exact same time that #35’s right foot is planted just outside of the 41. I thought that I saw a shot from the north end zone at that moment and the ball was very low… like near his belt. I think that the spot was about a half football outside of the 40 and was slightly short of a 1st down. But had the call on the field been a first down I doubt that there was enough there to overturn it.

I would have to see the same shot from the north endzone to even weigh in - and you would need - not a shot, but an ongoing slow motion of how he landed. I can tell you with 100 percent certainty that when you play football, catch the ball and tuck it - you hold the front end of the football in the palm of - in this case the left hand and pin it / or tuck it against your body/ somewhat holding it with your elbow, bicep, and forearm tightly against your body. Impact with the ground - can shift the ball lower - but the ball should have been marked at the most forward point that the ball would have been in at
impact with the ground.

Upon further review - starting with 39 seconds - and running the slo-mo in super slo-mo - it looks like he carroms off of the Ole Miss db - and simultaneously he lands with his knee on the 41 and the middle of his body around or slightly beyond the 40. I still think it should have been marked at or just beyond the 40 - even if he had the ball closer toward his waist. ( which it did look was the case )

Last edited:
Reactions: Skullbone
SEC Network SUX!!!! Bad camera angles, poor audio quality often, poor timing of switching camera angles on live feeds. Amateur TV coverage of a football game they were inept at covering on a professional level; and it helped cost TN the game.

And why is a Vandy man calling UT games. Jordan Rodgers is the absolute worst they have.

Reactions: Wireless1 and Remy
No, he had the ball around his belly he was short of the first down. Him bouncing off the ground and the second landing past the 40 yard mark doesn't mean he made the 1st. I do agree that we got an unfavorable spot but oh well nothing will ever change the results of what happened on Saturday night even if the fans didn't throw bottles and what not. Just move on and focus on bama cause our players have

Upon further review - starting with 39 seconds - and running the slo-mo in super slo-mo - it looks like he carroms off of the Ole Miss db - and simultaneously he lands with his knee on the 41 and the middle of his body around or slightly beyond the 40. I still think it should have been marked at or just beyond the 40 - even if he had the ball closer toward his waist. ( which it did look was the case )

It's not going to change the outcome - but I will still argue that it is a bad spot. 99.99999 percent of the time - they never over rule a spot or any other judgement call by the officials - it's how it works - still I don't think that they were correct - and I think that could have just as easily been spotted on the 40 for a first down. We will just have to agree to disagree.

Go back and watch the ref when he runs to place the ball. He runs to the 40 yard line then proceeds to spot the ball a yard behind where he was initially going to spot it. Do I think he made the first down? Probably not, but if the ref spots it where he was going to, then it would have been impossible to overturn that call too with replay. Look at where Warren was when the ref got ready to spot the ball.
Exactly. And look closely at the film and you will see the line judge was 20-25 yards behind the line to gain. The Head linesman was right near the line to gain and had the ball initially mark to be a 1st down. He was overturned by the line judge who absolutely had no business making a call as to ball placement in that situation. He was too far down field to make that call.

Reactions: OrangeDrip
Not only that, but Clay Travis had a picture that showed where the ref was who overrode the original spot that you speak of. That ref was 20 yards behind the play.
And he was on the Kiffin's side of the field. Coincidence? I think not!

It’s definitely up there in the halls of horse sh**. I swear I think Ole Miss got away with some blatant holding all night long.

I am finally watching it on my DVR. Yeah, I have seen several.

One question: The play where Baron was tackling Corral, and the Vols took the ball away for a TD, and they called it back? What point of the game was that?

the problem was the plays before this one where we got ZERO yards. Everyone knew it was 4 down territory you do not need to get 24 yards on 3rd down just get some and our QB ate the ball for no gain.

The problem was we needed 24 yards on 4th down and got 24 yards. Refs were spotting ball short all night. The problem was we got screwed out of a TD on the scoop and score. Other things happened in the game that had an impact, but so did those two major screw ups.

Hopefully I have captured this correctly and pasted it successfully. Please watch the slow motion at least 3 times before commenting.

Attempting to remove all bias. 1. He wasn't down at the 39 which is where he ended up. 2. He wasn't down at the 41 which is where it was ultimately spotted.
3. You can not look at that and not come up with a rational argument that he reached the artificial yellow first down line at the 40 yard line.
It's not a slam dunk - refs are human and he was out of position - but on replay, I am saying he reached the 40 for a first down.
He didn't go down - knee first or right elbow first - but lunged and his whole body landed at once. I am aware that he was carrying the ball tucked in under his left
arm ( as he should ) but that still would take it to the 40 or slightly beyond. Carrying the ball tucked - would have portions of the ball even or an inch or two above your left bicep not
down at your waist. In fact it's impossible to tuck a football and have it be below your bicep. It's even or above.

It bothers me that people with agendas argue he was short of the first down line. I continue to believe that is not the case.

Please don't post the beating the dead horse - picture. I am aware- I am aware that some people threw some things and
shouldn't have. I am also aware that was a first down and the stop of forward progress in the first quarter was a touchdown.

Tons of people without agendas think it's short. If you believe he's short, you must have an agenda? SMDH

Hopefully I have captured this correctly and pasted it successfully. Please watch the slow motion at least 3 times before commenting.

Attempting to remove all bias. 1. He wasn't down at the 39 which is where he ended up. 2. He wasn't down at the 41 which is where it was ultimately spotted.
3. You can not look at that and not come up with a rational argument that he reached the artificial yellow first down line at the 40 yard line.
It's not a slam dunk - refs are human and he was out of position - but on replay, I am saying he reached the 40 for a first down.
He didn't go down - knee first or right elbow first - but lunged and his whole body landed at once. I am aware that he was carrying the ball tucked in under his left
arm ( as he should ) but that still would take it to the 40 or slightly beyond. Carrying the ball tucked - would have portions of the ball even or an inch or two above your left bicep not
down at your waist. In fact it's impossible to tuck a football and have it be below your bicep. It's even or above.

It bothers me that people with agendas argue he was short of the first down line. I continue to believe that is not the case.

Please don't post the beating the dead horse - picture. I am aware- I am aware that some people threw some things and
shouldn't have. I am also aware that was a first down and the stop of forward progress in the first quarter was a touchdown.

Also you have to also take in account that is body is oriented to the right, with the left side of his body (with the football) further upfield. He is not down until he land because he is stretching out so when his left side lands it's well over the 40 yard line.

I am finally watching it on my DVR. Yeah, I have seen several.

One question: The play where Baron was tackling Corral, and the Vols took the ball away for a TD, and they called it back? What point of the game was that?
Ole Miss was up 7-0 so it was early

I still can’t understand why the head linesman: 1.Is the authority on spotting that ball when he was 20 yards behind the play (granted none of the officials were in a great position) and 2.Appeared to run directly to the line to gain stick and immediately turn right, he even appears to take another step towards the line of scrimmage when he turns right.I am far from a conspiracy theorist and roll my eyes when fans feel the world is out to get them, but the optics of who and how the ball was spotted on this critical play just look strange, especially when you watch the replay 100 times ha ha. I just don’t understand what the line to gain stick has to do with where the ball should be spotted, and why the linesman would stare at, run at, and then turn just before the stick. Is that normal to do when spotting close balls? I would think not knowing where the sticks are would help me make a more accurate spot, or at least stay above reproach when making a close spot.
it was so obvious the ref ran to the sticks and then made sure he spotted it short by turning back a half yard. Yet once again, A complete “ hose” job in our own stadium. To me, this one is just as blatant as the Jabar Gaffney no-catch touchdown call back in 2000 before instant replay.

I can't help but feel if it were the other way around and it was them on offense they would have said it was a first down.

Go back and watch the ref when he runs to place the ball. He runs to the 40 yard line then proceeds to spot the ball a yard behind where he was initially going to spot it. Do I think he made the first down? Probably not, but if the ref spots it where he was going to, then it would have been impossible to overturn that call too with replay. Look at where Warren was when the ref got ready to spot the ball.
Kiffin talking to the side judge all night long. He had the ref in his back pocket. The more I read about this crew I don’t think they are corrupt just extremely stupid. They need to be fired. One is a past Alabama lineman.

Also you have to also take in account that is body is oriented to the right, with the left side of his body (with the football) further upfield. He is not down until he land because he is stretching out so when his left side lands it's well over the 40 yard line.
Agree

Tons of people without agendas think it's short. If you believe he's short, you must have an agenda? SMDH
Tons of people think it was not short. There are some who want to call it short so that the students that threw things look even worse - Most of them appear to be old air force golfers and DHs.

Outside of that - I am sure there are some who feel genuinely that he didn’t make it - the wife of the line judge is one of those that comes to mind. If he played for Kentucky or Ole Miss I would say it looked ( to me ) like he made it. I didn’t say everyone has to agree with me.

It was right at the line to gain. I’ve watched that play 50 times. So close that they should have called it a first and then reviewed. Bottom line Tennessee got hosed multiple times. Including several holdings that weren’t called when corral broke the pocket. Their center hand a hand full of heresy at least three times.

Tons of people think it was not short. There are some who want to call it short so that the students that threw things look even worse - Most of them appear to be old air force golfers and DHs.

Outside of that - I am sure there are some who feel genuinely that he didn’t make it - the wife of the line judge is one of those that comes to mind. If he played for Kentucky or Ole Miss I would say it looked ( to me ) like he made it. I didn’t say everyone has to agree with me.
I have no reason to want the students to look bad. That's not only silly, it's remarkably stupid.

I just bough a new TV so I can get a better view of the replays. Apparently, I don't see the same thing on replays that some other people do.

This slow mo doesn't help me. I'm still not sure. I will say again, the called back touchdown bothers me much more than this call.

Another point to be made is that he landed on top of the Ole Miss player which helped keep him from contacting the ground. Someone else had posted a picture of the official who made the spot call. This guy is not even in the picture when the play ends, so how could he have seen where the ball was? He should have deferred to another official who was closer to the play.

Reactions: Skullbone

It looks to me that they spotted the ball at his knee, not the ball. Or is it me, looking through orange color glasses??

Honestly looking at this one again objectively. I can’t say for sure whether or not he got the 1st down but I can say with certainty that the spot was terrible and it wasn’t the first one.

Really a bad look for the conference when it appears your officials may be fixing results of games by their actions.

The officials need all camera angles to review a close call. They did not have that camera angle for whatever reason. That is not the officials fault. The officials are at a disadvantage but are responsible for the call. The game needs more camera angles or maybe more officials. Also, they need to be full-time officials and not every day citizens if the community. I mean what is the big deal about not having a few more camera angles from around the stadium. The officials need help. The spot was bad and Tennessee got the first down. Tennessee won the game.

VN Store

Back