Bernard King's first college game. Who remembers? Where were you?

I hate you.

Was in my 3rd year at UT when Bernard arrived, living in frat house so it was a 3 minute walk to Stokley. Went to all the games. For lesser games you could walk up to ticket window 5 minutes before game with student ID and get in. One of the little sisters dated Ernie and one of the brothers was from his old neighborhood so we saw a lot of him.

Pike?

Reactions: ClockworkOrange
I was 14 and went with a friend and his parents. I kind of had the same feeling of disbelief leaving the Xavier game loss as I did when I left the North Texas State football game back in the 70’s. Man you have such a great memory, its amazing how you are able to visualize and explain all the little details.

I just typed everything that I know. Couldn't tell you another thing before or after that. It's weird how certainly little flashes of your childhood remain in long term memory. But also how much is just simply gone.

I wonder if UT has all the game tapes from that era Vaulted somewhere? Would love to watch them.

Unfortunately video tape was expensive in the 1970s and some great history has been recorded over. The local PBS channel used to replay the Saturday night home games and I've only seen a couple of them on YouTube. There should have been dozens, if not close to a hundred, of those games. "Saturday Night at Stokely". John Ward's call was dubbed over the video.

R. Larry Smith has a lot of video saved on his YouTube channel.

About 20 rows up midcourt

Little further up and down need the end of the visitors bench. Was with a buddy and his dad. Remember when you could buy worn football game jerseys? How great to get a jersey worn by your favorite players? Good days.

Unfortunately video tape was expensive in the 1970s and some great history has been recorded over. The local PBS channel used to replay the Saturday night home games and I've only seen a couple of them on YouTube. There should have been dozens, if not close to a hundred, of those games. "Saturday Night at Stokely". John Ward's call was dubbed over the video.

R. Larry Smith has a lot of video saved on his YouTube channel.
You should call him and visit his "museum" of Volunteer relics.

A jaw-dropping performance against Pearl's old team, Wisconsin-Milwaukee, in November 1974.

King poured in 42 points. I listened to it with my dad in the front seat of a Buick that was about 20 feet long parked in my granddaddy's gravel drive in Collierville, Tennessee. For some reason we always got much better reception out in the driveway than indoors. Talk about instant impact! I knew we were in for an unprecedented thrill ride from that moment on.

I was fortunate enough to be at the game. Grunfeld missed the first several games with a broken arm and King was a dominant player.

Thanks for posting this. I was there too. What a great game and team. The first game I saw Bernard play as I recall was his first SEC game vs. Auburn. Auburn had a highly ranked freshman named Mike Mitchell who had more publicity than King. King ate Mitchell up and stole the show easily as Vols won. Never saw anyone as quick as Bernard King. Really terrific to see Jackson, Woods, King and Grunfeld and hear John Ward once again. I think Kentucky won the ncaa championship the next year or in 1977. I saw the cats in Rupp that year vs Iona coached by Jim Valvano. Kyle Macy came in to team with Robey, Phillips, givens and James Lee for a formidable team. Ernie and Bernie gave them fits, incredibly intense and physical games.

Stokley Athletic Center. Ernie has already made it the place to be for students and Bernard just sealed the deal after that debut. Ernie was hurt that first game and didn't play. The offense was simple, throw it to Bernard, if he isn't open, throw it to Ernie, if Ernie is covered, throw it to Bernard.

VN Store

Back