Bernard King's first college game. Who remembers? Where were you?

ClockworkOrange

Electric Sheep
A jaw-dropping performance against Pearl's old team, Wisconsin-Milwaukee, in November 1974.

King poured in 42 points. I listened to it with my dad in the front seat of a Buick that was about 20 feet long parked in my granddaddy's gravel drive in Collierville, Tennessee. For some reason we always got much better reception out in the driveway than indoors. Talk about instant impact! I knew we were in for an unprecedented thrill ride from that moment on.

CO, I remember listening to TN games on radio back in the 70s as a kid. I'm sure that Ernie and Bernie were in there somewhere. One I do remember was a Xavier game from like 1975. I remember my dad was in Chattanooga with us in the station wagon with my mom. He drove up onto Cameron Hill which is in downtown Chattanooga overlooking the river if your familiar with Chattanooga. Got enough AM coverage with the elevation. We parked on a dark road up there with the engine off by dashboard light and listened to the ending. I remember losing by a point or two in a wild finish. Great memories.

A jaw-dropping performance against Pearl's old team, Wisconsin-Milwaukee, in November 1974.

King poured in 42 points. I listened to it with my dad in the front seat of a Buick that was about 20 feet long parked in my granddaddy's gravel drive in Collierville, Tennessee. For some reason we always got much better reception out in the driveway than indoors. Talk about instant impact! I knew we were in for an unprecedented thrill ride from that moment on.
About 20 rows up midcourt

I listened on the radio as well. 42 points was amazing, but can't remember how many rebounds.

If it was a home game prob listened to it then watched replay on channel 2 in Knoxville

CO, I remember listening to TN games on radio back in the 70s as a kid. I'm sure that Ernie and Bernie were in there somewhere. One I do remember was a Xavier game from like 1975. I remember my dad was in Chattanooga with us in the station wagon with my mom. He drove up onto Cameron Hill which is in downtown Chattanooga overlooking the river if your familiar with Chattanooga. Got enough AM coverage with the elevation. We parked on a dark road up there with the engine off by dashboard light and listened to the ending. I remember losing by a point or two in a wild finish. Great memories.
This was my first Tennessee basketball game. No way we lose to Xavier in our own tournament. Not a great one to remember.

Reactions: ClockworkOrange
About 5 months away from being born

I hate you.

Was in my 3rd year at UT when Bernard arrived, living in frat house so it was a 3 minute walk to Stokley. Went to all the games. For lesser games you could walk up to ticket window 5 minutes before game with student ID and get in. One of the little sisters dated Ernie and one of the brothers was from his old neighborhood so we saw a lot of him.

In his first game against Kentucky at Rupp, Joe B. Hall had three big guys all over 6'10" and sent them out to mug Bernard. Refs let it go. Wouldn't happen today, would be multiple ejections. At end of game a fan threw a lit cigarette into Bernard's hair and he went into stands after him.

Bernard comes into locker room afterwards, seething with anger, and tells teammates that as long as he plays at Tennessee they will never lose to Kentucky again.

They didn't lose to Kentucky again until the year after Bernard left school.

ESPN had a 30 for 30 on him couple of yrs ago I watched. Remember him saying after his freshman year at KY while leaving the court, someone in the stands flicked a cigarette butt into his hair. He said right then he would never lose to KY again, and Vols never did while he was there.

This was my first Tennessee basketball game. No way we lose to Xavier in our own tournament. Not a great one to remember.

Were you seriously there? Wow, I can still remember the radio lights, the bench seats in the 67' Plymouth Belvedere wagon, and the disappointment when dad cranked it up, turned back on the headlights, and headed down the hill. I've always had a healthy fear of Xavier U ever since!

From memory, I was thinking 42 points on 21=22 shooting. Mostly on that 5 foot turn around lightening quick jumper from the lest baseline.

I'm probably worn on those stats...surely he made a free throw.

An incredible game for sure.

Ernie was injured at the start of that season and didn't play.

Were you seriously there? Wow, I can still remember the radio lights, the bench seats in the 67' Plymouth Belvedere wagon, and the disappointment when dad cranked it up, turned back on the headlights, and headed down the hill. I've always had a healthy fear of Xavier U ever since!
I was 14 and went with a friend and his parents. I kind of had the same feeling of disbelief leaving the Xavier game loss as I did when I left the North Texas State football game back in the 70’s. Man you have such a great memory, its amazing how you are able to visualize and explain all the little details.

Was there at that game.To hear John.Ward,you didn't have to be there to "see"it live.John's description of the play by play," you didn't miss a thing".Rest well John.And thank you Bernard,Ernie,Michael,Doug,Woods,and all the vols!

I was still in high school. I did not see or hear this game, but I heard about it almost immediately afterwards from my father and school friends in HS. During King's freshman season I got to go to the LSU game on a weeknight with one of the Tennessee Supreme Court judges who was a UT grad. IIRC they won by 20 points. That year and almost every year I would sit camped next to my radio listening to John Ward's broadcast.

anybody remember UT beating UK in Lexington and John Ward's call about "Grunfeld shooting King's free throws" and the fans were flipping out. Ward was playing it to the "T". King had gotten fouled but Grunfeld shot the free throws and John Ward was acting like a pro wrestling announcer. He was Like "I don't know what they're talking about", but he seemed to.

I was 12 years old and i remember i listened to the game in THE BACK SEAT OF A 68 GREEN FORD PINTO.

Aisle E, row 32, seat 5. Remember it well.

VN Store

Back