Be Ready to see thousands of BYU fans in Knoxville

DougtheVol

BYU fan (don't remember making this account)
BYU @ Tennessee CougarTown Tailgate

BYU had 3500 tickets from the alumni chapter in Tennessee. They are sold out a month before the game, and That doesn't even include tickets from the BYU ticket office. It is likely that BYU will have about 8-10 thousand fans there. In our MTSU road game in 2014 had 6000 more fans there than their next home game against FAU (18000 vs 12000). Generally we travel very well and already have lots of fans scattered throughout the country. Gonna be a fun game and a great atmosphere. It'll be my first game in a stadium anywhere near this big. (Nebraska would be my next biggest)

Is there anything we need to know as far as things to do or places to eat that I can pass on to fellow cougars?

37kk5r.jpg

Ye Olde Steakhouse has best prime rib in town (Just about five miles or so south of Neyland stadium). Calhoun's on the river is nice and there is live music. Visit the smoky mountains if you get the chance (approximately 50-60 minutes drive outside of Knoxville). Lots of things to do in Pigeon Forge if you bring the kids. GBO!!!!!!

BYU had 3500 tickets from the alumni chapter in Tennessee. They are sold out a month before the game, and That doesn't even include tickets from the BYU ticket office. It is likely that BYU will have about 8-10 thousand fans there. In our MTSU road game in 2014 had 6000 more fans there than their next home game against FAU (18000 vs 12000). Generally we travel very well and already have lots of fans scattered throughout the country. Gonna be a fun game and a great atmosphere. It'll be my first game in a stadium anywhere near this big. (Nebraska would be my next biggest)

Is there anything we need to know as far as things to do or places to eat that I can pass on to fellow cougars?

Howsabout bringing some J-Dawg sauce and cooking out for them Vols at the tailgate?

Ye Olde Steakhouse has best prime rib in town (Just about five miles or so south of Neyland stadium). Calhoun's on the river is nice and there is live music. Visit the smoky mountains if you get the chance (approximately 50-60 minutes drive outside of Knoxville). Lots of things to do in Pigeon Forge if you bring the kids. GBO!!!!!!
Ill have to hit up Ye Olde Steakhouse, thats the second time someone has recommended it to me.

Good ole Stormin Mormons not likely to get smashed and make a mess. Lol.

I spent 4 summers in Salt Lake, and I gotta say that the demographics are nice for a white guy. State is over 90% white, 60% female, and there are many many natural blondes many with blue eyes. Lots of pretty LDS girls...

Edit..if you cant find a decent looking wife in Utah, you're just a chump. The hotties are everywhere, and they are pushed from about birth to marry up and procreate. Seriously.

Southern talent will be to much for you guys.
I hope you get to see the Smokey Mountains while you're all in town!

Reactions: Pacer92
I'm going to shoot straight. Knoxville, despite being close to the mountains and outdoor recreation opportunities, is not a healthy city like what you have out west. Most of the businesses close to the stadium are either fast food or student watering holes where food sales are a distant secondary business consideration. The tailgating is a mixed bag with some decidedly family friendly areas, but most of it is overwhelmingly dominated by excessive alcohol consumption. Not to stereotype, but I foresee a bit of a cultural divide. Hopefully, BYU will sponsor a tailgate for your folks who don't want to deal with fried food and rowdy drunks.

I'm going to shoot straight. Knoxville, despite being close to the mountains and outdoor recreation opportunities, is not a healthy city like what you have out west. Most of the businesses close to the stadium are either fast food or student watering holes where food sales are a distant secondary business consideration. The tailgating is a mixed bag with some decidedly family friendly areas, but most of it is overwhelmingly dominated by excessive alcohol consumption. Not to stereotype, but I foresee a bit of a cultural divide. Hopefully, BYU will sponsor a tailgate for your folks who don't want to deal with fried food and rowdy drunks.
There is a sponsored Tailgate, but I would still rather spend it wondering around the Tennessee tailgates and chatting.

If you like early breakfast, get over to a little bitty place called Pete's Coffee Shoppe. Not fancy, smallish but they know how to fix a nice simple breakfast and tasty coffee. Nice lunches too. I like getting one of their delicious wrap sandwiches, sneaking it into Neyland to eat there for noonish games or eating in the shade if all seats are taken at the shoppe. Dinner, we've tried various eateries at nearby Market Place. But since we have the option of a free stay at a guest home barely 2 miles from the campus, any Friday - Sunday we want to, we cook for ourselves after later games. Not always as my wife likes Calhoun's which isn't a bad place to dine and right at the river to boot. Outside of Calhoun's and Market Place choices, I can't say much as I'm not a Knoxville resident nor venture much from our friend's guest home. It's such a nice tree surrounded relaxing place after crowds all day. But I bet others here have a wealth of advice on where to enjoy eating.

Good ole Stormin Mormons not likely to get smashed and make a mess. Lol.

I spent 4 summers in Salt Lake, and I gotta say that the demographics are nice for a white guy. State is over 90% white, 60% female, and there are many many natural blondes many with blue eyes. Lots of pretty LDS girls...

Edit..if you cant find a decent looking wife in Utah, you're just a chump. The hotties are everywhere, and they are pushed from about birth to marry up and procreate. Seriously.
Brb moving to utah

Just hope you have a good time in Knoxville and enjoy the Tennessee hospitality, with the exception of a BYU victory.

Lol, SLC is a smog haven and hardly what I would call a healthy city. And I like going there. And they do drink in Utah.

Southern talent will be to much for you guys.
I hope you get to see the Smokey Mountains while you're all in town!

Let me 1st say the SMNP is my favorite national park, and ktown is my home. Tennessee is Gods country.

These mountains are much much older than the ones in Utah though, and much smaller. In the dead middle of summer in Salt lake we would go swimming during the day while my dad was at work at 95degrees plus...then drive an hour up into the Uenta? Mountains and there still be snow on the ground in July because it never melts at that altitude. In an hour drive we would gain more altitude than the tip of Clingmans dome is above sea level. 1.5 lane gravel roads up near the top where you have to find a wide spot and pull over as far as you can if you meet a car coming the other direction. It's really cool. Huge mountains with cliffs and snow that never melts were something I had never encountered as a Tennessean. My 2nd favorite city in America is Salt Lake. Knoxville is of course my first, and will always be home even though I dont live there anymore.

Go Vols. Hope we smash the Cougars with SEC line play and SEC speed on the corners. They have a pretty good program, but dont see them beating us at Neyland. Should be a full house well over 100k!!!

VN Store

Back