Be careful what we wish for

I'm not saying I love Jeremy Pruitt. He was dealt a bad hand with the way he took over 2018. Several losses that should have been wins (GA State, BYU, KY, Arkansas, Auburn) and we keep getting blown out in the second half of games. And not to mention the inexplicable handing with JG.

However, with all the 'fire Pruitt' talk...let's take a minute to compare how the other coaches have fared since 2018 that were in the running for the UTK HC position three short years ago:

Coach -- Wins-Losses -- Winning %
Dan Mullen -- 27-6 -- 82%
Mike Gundy -- 20-12 -- 63%
Mike Leach -- 19-13 -- 59%
Dave Doeren -- 19-15 -- 56%
Jeremy Pruitt -- 15-17 -- 47%
David Cutcliffe -- 15-18 -- 45%
Jeff Brohm -- 12-17 -- 41%
Mel Tucker -- 6-10 -- 38%
Kevin Sumlin -- 9-16 -- 36%
Scott Frost -- 10-18 -- 36%
Chip Kelly -- 8-19 -- 30%
Greg Schiano -- 1-3 -- 25%
Les Miles -- 3-15 -- 17%

Couple of things stand out...

#1 - If UT is not careful, they will continue to place the school in a position that is 'undesirable' or toxic for coaches. Who wants to come be a part of this rabid, unforgiving, unsupportive, and unreasonable fan base?
#2 - It's really hard to hire good coaches
#3 - Be patient. It does take time to recruit and turn things around. Dooley killed the program. Jones killed the culture.
#4 - CJP does have some growing up in the position to do. But I don't think he is as bad as the record shows.
F you with your "unreasonable fan base" I've waited 12 years for this crap to be turned around.

Guys I’m taking the grandkids to see Santa tomorrow. Should I use my one shot on asking for a new coach?

I really want a new .22 magnum.....a CZ 512 or a Ruger American rimfire target.

But Im down to take one for the team......also my grandson says if you ask Santa directly he HAS to bring it.
Both CZ and Ruger make a nice rifle. I don't know as much about the semi-auto 512, but the CZ bolt action rimfires are excellent (they are typically very accurate, have good triggers, and barrels can be swapped easily). I have a CZ 455 Varmint that is a great shooter. It has an attractive wood stock and a very good trigger.

Last edited:
It’s not just the losses, it the WAY he loses. Come on. The ineptitude is so glaring even the media who blasts our fans as being “irrational” (which is every SEC school by the way) sees it. The man keeps trotting JG out there like something different is going to happen. That is ineptitude. Period. Hard stop. He’s not HC material and I think even he knows it. I swear sometimes I think he’s trying to get fired. He’s either too dumb or too stubborn to listen to those around him. It may be that he has stopped trusting his instincts and his coaches because his instincts were correct in Tuscaloosa last year when he jerked JGs face mask. At that point, I’m sure his gut said leave your QB at the stadium and let him find his way back to New Jersey on his own. Letting him trot back on to the field the next week was the end of the JP era whether he knew or not. Oh and don’t come at me with that win streak stuff that followed. That didn’t accomplish anything but getting him a contract extension and giving him a blind eye when it comes to JG.

Reactions: Doberman and 08Vol
Dooley had 4-game losing streaks broken each year by a cupcake.

I was wrong...Jones played 5 in a row several years and never lost 5 in a row. Several 4-game skids but never five (and there were 5 or 6 SEC opponents in a row three times).
Dooley played one of the most ridiculous schedules I’ve ever seen one year. I think it was 2011 maybe? We had about 7 or 8 weeks in a row against top 20 teams and most of them were top 10. It was back when Arkansas was really good. We had them, Oregon, plus the usual gauntlet of teams. SC was really good then too I believe. I’d have to look it up to know which year for sure. Pruitt would get killed with a schedule like that.

Well, it is what it is! I care not to have to go through another coaching search, especially after the fiasco of last time. I want to win. I question Pruitt's path to victory but still support his quest. I believe once JG is behind us, we will begin seeing improvements ... even with Pruitt!

I made the same comment in another thread, this seems like a good place to say the same thing. If were going to go out and hire another assistant, we might as well keep Pruitt. The positive is that we at least build some sort of stability instead of firing a coach every three years. This is beyond sickening at this point.....

#4 - "CJP does have some growing up in the position to do. But I don't think he is as bad as the record shows". ...II mean..according to some "figuring" up by not just people that are UT fans but also reporters around the country on Twitter and ESPN....Bro...HIs record shows that he's pretty damn bad along with the DC and OC to because (Ainsley's) defense can't hold a lead and then the offense Chaney's) can't come back worth a ****...I truly hope that they have Urban Meyer on deck to call.....

Reactions: 08Vol
Pruitt stinks.
Fulmer stinks for hiring this Potatoe head.
Fire 🔥 Pruitt, put him out of his eventual misery.
Fulmer gets one shot to hire a real head coach, if he announces some nobody then they instantly back door him just like he did to get the AD job.
Clean 🏠

As bad as Dooley was and Butch, they never lost 5 straight games by double digits

They never lost to GSU

They never lost by 27 at home to UK

Even Butch figured out halftime adjustments. Still waiting on that here.
What's sad, is Butch is 100 times better than Pruitt.

You do realize you could put an Xbox controller in a 9 year old's hand playing Madden and have about the same results as this staff.

I.e....ill take my chances with a new HFC.

To me, I’d be far more inclined to be patient if an obvious answer—Hugh Freeze—wasn’t available. Setting aside the pie in the sky dreams of Urban Meyer, Bob Stoops, and Chris Petersen (who should each be offered $10MM a year to coach here and make them tell us no, which they will), Freeze is available no matter what he said. Yes, Freeze has massive baggage, but so does UT. Giving Freeze a second shot in the SEC with a school with UT’s resources could give us and him a shot at redemption and we all need a win. Unless we could get one of Meyer, Stoops, or Petersen (and I don’t think we can), our best option is a coach with a chip on his shoulder and something to prove, particularly one that has proven chops to win in the SEC at Ole Miss (one of the worst jobs in the SEC) and UT is rumored to be Freeze’s dream job. So, we can’t let Auburn, USCe, Michigan, or Penn State beat us to the punch with Freeze as the stars align too infrequently to pull your punch. If we can’t get one of the big three or Freeze, we probably need to stay the course with Pruitt and pray that he can put it together like Dabo did eventually.

I'm not saying I love Jeremy Pruitt. He was dealt a bad hand with the way he took over 2018. Several losses that should have been wins (GA State, BYU, KY, Arkansas, Auburn) and we keep getting blown out in the second half of games. And not to mention the inexplicable handing with JG.

However, with all the 'fire Pruitt' talk...let's take a minute to compare how the other coaches have fared since 2018 that were in the running for the UTK HC position three short years ago:

Coach -- Wins-Losses -- Winning %
Dan Mullen -- 27-6 -- 82%
Mike Gundy -- 20-12 -- 63%
Mike Leach -- 19-13 -- 59%
Dave Doeren -- 19-15 -- 56%
Jeremy Pruitt -- 15-17 -- 47%
David Cutcliffe -- 15-18 -- 45%
Jeff Brohm -- 12-17 -- 41%
Mel Tucker -- 6-10 -- 38%
Kevin Sumlin -- 9-16 -- 36%
Scott Frost -- 10-18 -- 36%
Chip Kelly -- 8-19 -- 30%
Greg Schiano -- 1-3 -- 25%
Les Miles -- 3-15 -- 17%

Couple of things stand out...

#1 - If UT is not careful, they will continue to place the school in a position that is 'undesirable' or toxic for coaches. Who wants to come be a part of this rabid, unforgiving, unsupportive, and unreasonable fan base?
#2 - It's really hard to hire good coaches
#3 - Be patient. It does take time to recruit and turn things around. Dooley killed the program. Jones killed the culture.
#4 - CJP does have some growing up in the position to do. But I don't think he is as bad as the record shows.
'unsupportive' and 'unreasonable'? what are you talking about?? fans show up and support these losers year in and year out, and what's unreasonable anout wanting to win?? do yourself a favor and use facts instead of fantasy, Pruitt just brought tn another milestone, 5 straight losses by double digits for the first time in program history...but yeah, its the fans' fault

Reactions: tastycar
Based off what he walked into pruitt deserves one more year to put another nice class together. He must really make massive strides in year 4 though in my opinion. No more excuses after that. If he loses to big boys it better be close in well coached and hard fought games tight in scoring to deserve a year 5. 8 and 4 will not cut it
Lol no. It’s his 3rd year as a head coach and he’s got probably the 3rd most talent in the east. We will finish with 3 wins at best and youth is still struggling to make it to the field. I’ve tried to give JP the benefit of the doubt and say that he was the guy to bring Tennessee back to relevancy. He is what he is, he’s a good football coach but a bad HC.

Guys I’m taking the grandkids to see Santa tomorrow. Should I use my one shot on asking for a new coach?

But Im down to take one for the team......also my grandson says if you ask Santa directly he HAS to bring it.

Go for the Ruger.

It will last longer than whichever stiff this program brings in next.

Reactions: JoAllan

The CZ and don’t look back.

someone will be successful in this job. That someone may need some time to beat Florida, Georgia, and Alabama.....but, they’ll beat Kentucky and the like immediately.

it’s year 3 and people ar nervous about a game against winless Vandy.

And they aren’t crazy either
It's always good to get an un-emotional, outside perspective.

UT can't get out of its own way and they haven't taken winning very seriously. The only thing that seems to get their attention is when they start to see lost revenue (ie. fans not showing up to games, loss of donations, etc.). I truly believe if the fans kept going to games, kept making their donations, they don't care if the coach wins a NC of goes 0-12.

Reactions: jeff1vol and tbh
And that list and your argument are EXACTLY why we need to hire Hugh Freeze right now. He's been there and done that in this league. He's beaten Satan...twice if memory serves. Sign that man and have him ready to announce the Sunday after the UF blow out. No search. No screwing around. Get the man and revive our comatose football program.

someone will be successful in this job. That someone may need some time to beat Florida, Georgia, and Alabama.....but, they’ll beat Kentucky and the like immediately.

it’s year 3 and people ar nervous about a game against winless Vandy.

And they aren’t crazy either
There's no reason to have any confidence UT wins another game.

Pruitt is done, its just a matter of now or later.

You left off hobo fisher and Sam Pittman as recent sec coaching hires. If you take fisher, Mullen, Pruitt, and Pittman...Pruitt is by far the worst. Right out of the gate kiffin amd leech seem to be better than Pruitt as well. They both have the same record in year 1 that Pruitt does in year 3

VN Store

Back