Battle at Bristol Rings

It's very American to create mementos for everything. Yea, the crowd was huge--and that's wonderful--but it was still just a regular season game. If some entrepreneur wants to produce rings (or t-shirts or other merchandise) and people want to buy it, fine--but to give rings to players for the game? Rather lame, like the trophy. Trophies and rings SHOULD be for real ACHIEVEMENTS--i.e, a championship, not just participating in a game with a big crowd. There are other ways to remember the event--some sort of nice plaque rather than a trophy for the schools and something for the players other than a ring. Is it a big deal? Does it really matter in the grand scheme of things? No, but it's still a bit lame.

Reactions: 1 person
The trophy is fine. I get it. Big event for the school.

The rings are lame, but whatever.

The shirts and hats that say "champions" in the biggest possible font they could fit on there, however, makes me want to barf. It's just so elementary. It was game 2. Has this ever been done before? Week 2 "champions"? I feel anxious even thinking about it..

I honestly think they took it a little to far .

Tee shirt -Yes
Hat - Yes
Throphy - Yes
Confetti - NO
Rings -NO

I agree with them giving out stuff to players that they can keep for years to come but giving out championship rings to players for betting a team that wasn't even ranked during week 2 is a little to much . The rings are more embarrassing then a co championship banner imo .

If u support this then u shouldn't ever complain about any other teams co championship banners

The trophy is fine. I get it. Big event for the school.

The rings are lame, but whatever.

The shirts and hats that say "champions" in the biggest possible font they could fit on there, however, makes me want to barf. It's just so elementary. It was game 2. Has this ever been done before? Week 2 "champions"? I feel anxious even thinking about it..

Don't let that SDS article get to you. Its not like UT had them printed up. People can get snarky all they want.

Its a Nascar track putting on a football game. They hand out grandfather clocks, guitars, shotguns, gas pumps, 8ft tall bowling trophies, concrete monsters, and spray about 300lbs of confetti even for the winners of the undercard race the day before a big one.

Honestly, what would you have the players do? Throw them on the ground?

Reactions: 2 people
I honestly think they took it a little to far .

Tee shirt -Yes
Hat - Yes
Throphy - Yes
Confetti - NO
Rings -NO

I agree with them giving out stuff to players that they can keep for years to come but giving out championship rings to players for betting a team that wasn't even ranked during week 2 is a little to much . The rings are more embarrassing then a co championship banner imo .

If u support this then u shouldn't ever complain about any other teams co championship banners

VT got rings too.

After all the build up and all the anticipation and a RECORD SETTING CROWD I find your alls attitude about commemorating it with basically trinkets to be unbelievable. Good lord, this was a pretty big deal in college football. People all over the nation were aware and recruits abuzz. The media coverage was huge. Geez what a bunch of poo pooers.

The backlash from fans is pretty goofy. The commemorative stuff was for the players, not us. Let them enjoy their win and the memories that come with it - including a ring and some t-shirts.

Reactions: 3 people
Some of you folks remind me of shallow Hal's friend that had that drop dead smoking hot chick after him.....but he complained about her 2nd toe being longer than her big toe!!! Should've been worrying about his puppy dog tail he had. Hunting something to complain about so I guess life is good for that section of folks.

Was it a bit overboard? maybe. Does it make a flying fart either way? Of course not. The players looked happy about it so I'm all for it. They had to work their butts off to try and get OUR school back in the mix, they played in front of a record crowd and still had to perform and not let the atmosphere be too big for them and they took care of biz so let em get some swag to show for it...or don't. Really don't matter.

VT got rings too.

That makes it a little less stupid .

Imo

Both teams should of got a unique b@b tee shirt that they could keep for ever and the winning team a throphy that looked more like a rivalry throphy and less national championship.

It's very American to create mementos for everything. Yea, the crowd was huge--and that's wonderful--but it was still just a regular season game. If some entrepreneur wants to produce rings (or t-shirts or other merchandise) and people want to buy it, fine--but to give rings to players for the game? Rather lame, like the trophy. Trophies and rings SHOULD be for real ACHIEVEMENTS--i.e, a championship, not just participating in a game with a big crowd. There are other ways to remember the event--some sort of nice plaque rather than a trophy for the schools and something for the players other than a ring. Is it a big deal? Does it really matter in the grand scheme of things? No, but it's still a bit lame.

What's the difference between a "nice plaque" and a trophy?

Are you against Bowls that aren't in the playoffs giving out trophies too? I mean they are really just glorified exhibition games and most teams bearly have to be .500 to make one. Is that really an accomplishment worthy of a trophy?

The rings they are giving out are more like class rings than championship rings. As I said earlier, theses kids aren't getting paid to play in this one event brought in millions of dollars. The least they can get is a simple ring they can show their grandkids one day. And they gave it to both teams not just the winner.

I really don't understand the issue with the rings or the trophy. I do agree the Champions t-shirts and hats, confetti, and fire works show was a bit much but it's not something to get my undies bunched up over.

Let players enjoy the moment. I think players realize there are 10 more games to go.

The backlash from fans is pretty goofy. The commemorative stuff was for the players, not us. Let them enjoy their win and the memories that come with it - including a ring and some t-shirts.

That's what is embarrassing.

If you have a problem with a momento for players that were in a once in a lifetime situation, you might suck at life.

Florida plays Presbyterian this year. This is the only time in 2016 Florida will face Presbyterian. It is therefore a once in a lifetime event and they should all get rings.

Face it, this is a gimmick. Its an advertising gimmick, at that, for Pilot. I get that you had no control over it, or the trophy, or the hats, or the tee shirts.

Sorry. In my opinion someone at the schools should have spoken up and put the kibosh on going overboard on these trinkets when this was all being planned, because it looks like someone is trying too hard.

That's my :twocents:

Flame away.

Don't let that SDS article get to you. Its not like UT had them printed up. People can get snarky all they want.

Its a Nascar track putting on a football game. They hand out grandfather clocks, guitars, shotguns, gas pumps, 8ft tall bowling trophies, concrete monsters, and spray about 300lbs of confetti even for the winners of the undercard race the day before a big one.

Honestly, what would you have the players do? Throw them on the ground?

Yep and Bruton is the best at it. Everything he does is a spectacle. Bring people in for a football game and give them a show they will never forget.

I actually used to work for one of Bruton's companies. Every year our annual executive meeting would include welcome gift bags that would rival what any bowl game participant would receive. The parting gift was always a momento from Tiffanys to take home to the spouse.

Love or hate his ways if you will but it made him a billionaire.

Last edited:
Florida plays Presbyterian this year. This is the only time in 2016 Florida will face Presbyterian. It is therefore a once in a lifetime event and they should all get rings.

Face it, this is a gimmick. Its an advertising gimmick, at that, for Pilot. I get that you had no control over it, or the trophy, or the hats, or the tee shirts.

Sorry. In my opinion someone at the schools should have spoken up and put the kibosh on going overboard on these trinkets when this was all being planned, because it looks like someone is trying too hard.

That's my :twocents:

Flame away.
I don't disagree..but I bet this was pushed on the schools from the corporations...Jostens ran a segment on Colossus that was basically a commercial... but don't feel left out, the Gators are going to get a trophy for visiting Neyland this year...a facemask full of turf :)

I honestly don't understand the problem. I don't even understand being on the fence about it.

A program like Tennessee's ought to have the mindset that anything less than an appearance in Atlanta and/or a major bowl means that the program did not measure up to Tennessee standards. A ring and hats and tee shirts for a one-off publicity stunt just seems .... beneath you.

I'd hate anything like this as a Florida fan because it reminds me we've been pretty weak, if not damn lucky the last few years to remain relevant.

Flame away.

That's everything that Bruton does. Over the top. And nobody could have stopped him. He would completely ignore any request to tone it down.

A program like Tennessee's ought to have the mindset that anything less than an appearance in Atlanta and/or a major bowl means that the program did not measure up to Tennessee standards. A ring and hats and tee shirts for a one-off publicity stunt just seems .... beneath you.

I'd hate anything like this as a Florida fan because it reminds me we've been pretty weak, if not damn lucky the last few years to remain relevant.
A gator who had trolled a UT board for years is telling others what is beneath them? Must be nice to have no shame (or pride)

Reactions: 3 people

When Florida plays in front of 160,000 you might understand.

VN Store

Back