Basillo: Lane Kiffin wants to come home

Would Kiffin accept the job if offered?

• Yes

Votes: 124 76.5%
  • No

Votes: 38 23.5%

• Total voters
Everyone wants a winning program, but why rehire an unpredictable liar if there are other qualified candidates? You just don't know what he'll do in 2 years (or one) to eff his employer or commit violations, which he routinely does over and over and over again. Just like he's putting the screws to Ole Miss right now by threatening to leave. He is a job hopper who leaves before he gets in trouble or fired. My .02 as a person who hires people for a living.

Due diligence plus risk / reward my friend. We need a rockstar to reach our potential the fastest. We need to manage him carefully on the rest. If we choose a plodder or caretaker we’ll never get there. That’s what our opponents are banking on, and I wouldn’t bet against them unfortunately. Just my .02.

Reactions: UTKalum23
I would like to say this to you and all of the Kiffin supporters. If I thought he would come here, be fully committed for the long term, behave himself, and make us a serious threat, then I would be 100% behind him coming here. I just simply do not believe that he can/would do all of those things. His background gives me reason to believe that the chances are 50/50 out of the gate. If I’m an AD making literally the biggest hire of my career, I just can’t talk myself into riding with him right now.
Well to your point, DW was pretty straight up in his presser saying that he has to to have 100% trust and faith in his head coach to be committed to the success of this program. So if he doesn't feel like he can have that trust in Kiffin then it is a moot point even discussing him.

I reached out to a neighbor of mine whose firm helps out with the vetting process during a coaching search. His company is not working with Tennessee so everything he shared is speculative and opinion-based. The rumor he was hearing is we've targeted Clemson OC Tony Elliott. Personally, I don't think UT is going the coordinator route but Elliott was a name he was hearing. I asked him if there was a chance that Steele was going to be the HC next year. He said no. UT is going to hire someone now. He said the rumor around the Danny White appeal was that he might already have a coach lined up. TIFWIW

kiffin is this years gruden

Not even close..Those 2 comparisons are not even in the same stratosphere. Gruden had a zero percent chance of ever happening. If White wanted Kiffin I'd feel pretty sure he could get him. Kiffin has more interest in us than our decision makers have in him. No way can anyone with NCAA issues be targeted. Many fans forget in his one year he left us with ncaa sanctions..recruiting ones at that. Only comparisons between Gruden and Kiffin is neither will be offered the job.

Reactions: WilcoVolsFan
Due diligence plus risk / reward my friend. We need a rockstar to reach our potential the fastest. We need to manage him carefully on the rest. If we choose a plodder or caretaker we’ll never get there. That’s what our opponents are banking on, and I wouldn’t bet against them unfortunately. Just my .02.

This is exactly how we need to be thinking. While being mindful of the risks of each candidate and the current/pending sanctions - WHO will make our rivals scared?

I'm not so sure the OC from Clemson scares anyone.

If we were to yank Kiffin from Ole Miss, you'd have some raised eyebrows in Gainesville/Athens.

Reactions: Woke
Not even close..Those 2 comparisons are not even in the same stratosphere. Gruden had a zero percent chance of ever happening. If White wanted Kiffin I'd feel pretty sure he could get him. Kiffin has more interest in us than our decision makers have in him. No way can anyone with NCAA issues be targeted. Many fans forget in his one year he left us with ncaa sanctions..recruiting ones at that. Only comparisons between Gruden and Kiffin is neither will be offered the job.
man, Kiffin isnt coming back.

After listening to Dany White's conference and Q&A I don't think Kiffin will be a candidate. Danny White said he wants someone he can completely trust and be on the same page with - Kiffin may be a great coach but I don't see how he can be trusted (especially after what happened with him the first time at UT - White seems to smart to not see this and to roll the dice and put in jeopardy all his accomplishments as AD so far in his career just to get Kiffin).

After listening to Dany White's conference and Q&A I don't think Kiffin will be a candidate. Danny White said he wants someone he can completely trust and be on the same page with - Kiffin may be a great coach but I don't see how he can be trusted (especially after what happened with him the first time at UT - White seems to smart to not see this and to roll the dice and put in jeopardy all his accomplishments as AD so far in his career just to get Kiffin).
I think Chris Peterson is a name to watch just FYI

He may have more trust in Kiffin than people think. Kiffin was the HC for White's brother who was AD at FAU from what I read earlier. That is post Kiffin and UT. No doubt Kiffin has matured and the relationship he had with White's brother may be a factor. Although I did not do any research to verify this, only read that in an article. Didnt even google before I wrote this. OK, now I did google and it is true. Did not realize his other brother is HC of UF basketball and his dad is Vice President and head of athletics as Duke. Impressive.

I reached out to a neighbor of mine whose firm helps out with the vetting process during a coaching search. His company is not working with Tennessee so everything he shared is speculative and opinion-based. The rumor he was hearing is we've targeted Clemson OC Tony Elliott. Personally, I don't think UT is going the coordinator route but Elliott was a name he was hearing. I asked him if there was a chance that Steele was going to be the HC next year. He said no. UT is going to hire someone now. He said the rumor around the Danny White appeal was that he might already have a coach lined up. TIFWIW

If we hire another coordinator my head will explode. We need proven.

Reactions: 99grad

This has all been public knowledge. Steele is automatically ruled out because of White wanting an offensive minded HC. Elliott would be a fallback and most likely the once Coordinator that would be considered. Just based off what Travis and Basillio are reporting, we will be extremely pleased with any of White's top 3 choices. Sounding like there's atleast a good possibility we finally get it right and get an accomplished HC that will put life back into TN Football. With White's history of making great and successful hires everywhere he's been, I finally have real hope the dark time's are close to ending. And he did those hires at much smaller schools and less money and resources. He probably has as close of a blank check to make this hire as any AD we've had the last 20+ yrs. In the last 25 yrs our most accomplished athletcs hires have been in basketball with Rick and to a lesser extent Bruce. Football we've had 2 first time college HC's ( Kiffin and Pruitt), a HC with 3 yrs experience that had a career losing record and 1 winning season( Dooley)..then a HC with 6 yrs experience at 2 non power schools and followed Brian Kelly at both stops. Wasn't at either school long enough to show he could win with his players..( Butch)..

Alabama, since Stallings hired 5 Coachs and got it right on the 5th one. This will be our 5th since Fulmer, so hopefully it's our turn to get it right

This is not Joey Freshwater's home. Merely a brief stop in a grifter's journey.

VN Store

Back