Basevols ranked 24th this week

Seems that Baseball polls continue to be about whom they believe in long term and not short term early in year. SEC will be a gauntlet this year with several teams with 500 records going to NCAA tournament some maybe slightly below.

That 95 team with Todd Helton, RA Dickey and a host of other talented players was the best Tennessee team I have seen. The regional that season was in Knoxville and was 6 teams deep, IIRC with Oklahoma State as the other "big dog" in the region. The atmosphere for those two games with Oklahoma State was electric. The stadium was packed to overflow capacity. I believe we finished 3rd overall that year. Lost twice to Cal State Fullerton (eventual champs) but got two wins over Clemson and Stanford in the series. It was the era of the aluminum bats and I believe that no team took better advantage of that than Cal State Fullerton.
So far!

I watched the '95 team when they came to play at MTSU. I happened to sit next too TH's sister... Bubba like to talk smack with someone in the stands while he was in the on deck circle... and Mike Keith was doing the play by play in what was basically a glorified high school stadium at the time. That '94 team was great, I was so disappointed when they lost in the regional final to ASU IIRC.

I watched the '95 team when they came to play at MTSU. I happened to sit next too TH's sister... Bubba like to talk smack with someone in the stands while he was in the on deck circle... and Mike Keith was doing the play by play in what was basically a glorified high school stadium at the time. That '94 team was great, I was so disappointed when they lost in the regional final to ASU IIRC.

If I remember correctly, I threw a couple innings in that MTSU game.

I was also disappointed we didn't beat ASU 🙂. They were a bunch of loud mouth jerks. Probably the most hated team I ever played against.

Since we’re walking down memory lane...

View attachment 263106

RA's a fun and good dude.

Funny story, he use to throw knuckle balls when playing catch or warning up....but didnt tell you he was. I got hit in the family jewels more than a few times. So when he changed to a knuckle ball pitcher, didn't surprise me in the less bit. That pitch was nasty.

#24 is a ruse...pure BS...ok, I'm a little biased...:D

GO BIG ORANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RA's a fun and good dude.

Funny story, he use to throw knuckle balls when playing catch or warning up....but didnt tell you he was. I got hit in the family jewels more than a few times. So when he changed to a knuckle ball pitcher, didn't surprise me in the less bit. That pitch was nasty.

Wish I had a Mets jersey since he won his Cy Young there.

He's in the top 10 of people I'd like to have a beer with. I don't know how anybody could listen to the story of his career and life and not pull for him. It should be a movie.

Reactions: StarRaider
Wish I had a Mets jersey since he won his Cy Young there.

He's in the top 10 of people I'd like to have a beer with. I don't know how anybody could listen to the story of his career and life and not pull for him. It should be a movie.

Yep, good guy.

I'm assuming you watched the documentary Knuckleball?

If I remember correctly, I threw a couple innings in that MTSU game.

I was also disappointed we didn't beat ASU 🙂. They were a bunch of loud mouth jerks. Probably the most hated team I ever played against.
Yeah, I remember coach Delmonico getting into a heated argument with the umps in the first game with ASU that we lost. As a result we had to fight our way out of the losers bracket to face them the second time. That second game with them seemed to be over and then Todd Helton hit that three run homer in the 8th inning to tie it up. Lindsey Nelson stadium just erupted and Mike Keith went nuts on the radio play-by-play. For a few minutes, I believed...

Last edited:
Yep, good guy.

I'm assuming you watched the documentary Knuckleball?

Oh heck yea! Many times. I'm a knuckleball fan as well as a Dickey fan. I also read his book, "Wherever I Wind Up: My Quest for Truth, Authenticity and the Perfect Knuckleball". Just the name of the book tells you this would be an interesting cat to sit around the campfire with. Just let the conversation go where it goes.

Here’s another piece of interesting memorabilia. My daughter used to work for the Dodgers AAA club in OKC. She found this bobblehead from his time with the Redhawks and sent it to me.

58FC4CC8-1B8A-4D31-92AF-0DC0DFC218B1.jpeg

Yeah, I remember coach Delmonico getting into a heated argument with the umps in the first game with ASU that we lost. As a result we had to fight our way out of the losers bracket to face them the second time. That second game with them seemed to be over and then Todd Helton hit that three run homer in the 8th inning to tie it up. Lindsey Nelson stadium just erupted and Mike Keith went nuts on the radio play-by-play. For a few minutes, I believed...

Good memories I have of that season.

VN Store

Back