Barry Booker in Hot Water

Speaking the truth is one thing among friends.

Announcing it on national TV is another.

Exactly. If I'd heard Barry make that comment in casual conversation, I wouldn't give it a second thought. But I facepalmed when I read that he'd said it on air.

Speaking the truth is one thing among friends.

Announcing it on national TV is another.
It shouldn’t be in this case. Remember Howard Cosell and Jimmy the Greek. They both lost their jobs or took heat for statements that were rather innocent.

Last edited:
Reactions: peaygolf
BS. You know what I’m talking about.

Yes. I know exactly what you're talking about. You're not personally bothered by the comment, so you're using "truth" as a justification. But, you know full well that the truth is not always appropriate. "Truth" is not a synonym for "anything that doesn't bother me."

It shouldn’t be in this case. Remember Howard Cosell and Jimmy the Greek. They both list their jobs or took heat for statements that were rather innocent.
He got his butt chewing from the network, I'm sure. He hasn't lost his job and hasn't been fined and I guarantee he won't be making offhand comments like that going forward.

I'm not outraged over him saying what plenty of people tend to think and say behind closed doors. But I do feel such comments are in poor taste for a broadcaster to be saying on live TV.

He got his butt chewing from the network, I'm sure. He hasn't lost his job and hasn't been fined and I guarantee he won't be making offhand comments like that going forward.

Probably and true. And if that's the extent of what happens I don't see an issue with that.

In which case it's not a very big deal and everyone should move on pretty quickly.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
Yes. I know exactly what you're talking about. You're not personally bothered by the comment, so you're using "truth" as a justification. But, you know full well that the truth is not always appropriate. "Truth" is not a synonym for "anything that doesn't bother me."
We just disagree. With all the sex exposed on TV, society should not be upset by the comments he made. Hell look at the Super Bowl halftime performance. Talking about a double standard.

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with truthful statements in the appropriate context. What if Barry (whom I know very well, for what it's worth) had said "I would really enjoy having sex with some of those gymnasts,"? The statement may be true, but honesty is not always the best policy.
Dumb take IMHO. If we are going on What Ifs, it opens up even dumber arguments for the political correct crowd who look for things to get upset about.

What if he said he wants to murder a busload of nuns?

Dumb take IMHO. If we are going on What Ifs, it opens up even dumber arguments for the political correct crowd who look for things to get upset about.

What if he said he wants to murder a busload of nuns?
Wasn’t talking about personal intent. Apples and Oranges, your hypothetical is meaningless and without merit.

Wasn’t talking about personal intent. Apples and Oranges, your hypothetical is meaningless and without merit.
My hypothetical was solely an example of the idiocy of "what if" arguments. BW was trying to further his political correct agenda by inserting one.

I actually agree with your take. Lots of hypocrisy in this argument.

My hypothetical was solely an example of the idiocy of "what if" arguments. BW was trying to further his political correct agenda by inserting one.

I actually agree with your take. Lots of hypocrisy in this argument.

What political agenda is that? My point was only that some comments, while accurate, are not always appropriate in all contexts. If you're seeing some kind of political statement in that, then I would suggest that you're seeing what you want to see rather than what's actually there.

Reactions: Cheese Vol
What political agenda is that? My point was only that some comments, while accurate, are not always appropriate in all contexts. If you're seeing some kind of political statement in that, then I would suggest that you're seeing what you want to see rather than what's actually there.
Not saying political agenda. Politically Correct Agenda. Two different things.

I personally just don't care for what if arguments. And it is sickening to see what this world has become in regards to political correctness. I blame social media.

Not saying political agenda. Politically Correct Agenda. Two different things.

I personally just don't care for what if arguments. And it is sickening to see what this world has become in regards to political correctness. I blame social media.

Okay, what is "politically correct" about saying that a comment might be fine if made one forum and not fine in another? What you would say while hanging out with friends might not come across as well when you're doing commentary on a basketball broadcast.

You might want to work on distinguishing between political correctness and common sense.

Okay, what is "politically correct" about saying that a comment might be fine if made one forum and not fine in another? What you would say while hanging out with friends might not come across as well when you're doing commentary on a basketball broadcast.

You might want to work on distinguishing between political correctness and common sense.
Again...I was referencing your What If. What If arguments are pointless. That's my statement. It's pretty common sense. I agree that comments amongst friends and comments in a professional environment could have a drastically different audience/reception.

Basically, Booker said it. He shouldn't have. He was making a poor attempt at humor. Move on. Who cares?!?

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
Try again..I was responding to your comment.
For a supposed journalist, you have a hard time sticking with a discussion. Twist and divert and redirect again...

So you don't care about the topic, but you care about my thoughts on the topic. That's quite flattering. Thank you.

It's not about "being a baby", it's about representing the company and how they don't want someone doing that. It's also easy for you to say that when you're not the one they are describing.

And I'm glad you THINK you would react this way IF you had a daughter, but since you apparently don't have a daughter I'm going to respectfully say you don't really know how you'd react.

It is true. Thise girls are scantily clad. Volleyball. Beach volley for the win

VN Store

Back