Barnes says he is really happy with his point guards.

I know you’re high on JJJ, but don’t you find it worth mentioning that whileJJJ: came to Knoxville in the spring before his freshman season, worked out during summer with coaches and teammates, practiced with teammates, had individual workouts with teammates, film study with coaches and on his own, UT’s strength and nutrition staff to work with, scrimmages and exhibition etc. That he was actually beaten out for minutes played in conference play by a guy who: English wasn’t his first language, arrived to Knoxville half way through the year, had 1 practice before being thrown out there as the starting PG, hadn’t played with his teammates at all, had no time to work with coaches etc.?

My point being, you are very quick to anoint JJJ as this teams guy, yet he wasn’t last year given a much better chance to be than this year.
JJJ played injured the entire season last year, including preseason. He didn't "lose" minutes to SV, Barnes played both every single minute he could get out of them out of necessity as they were the only 2 who could get the ball upcourt alongside Bowden who got 35 minutes a game I think. This season we don't have that problem as we have 5-6 guys that can get the ball up the court. Vescovi is a good college player, potential to be great and I feel is going to be a big factor this year, might even be the heart and soul of the team and certainly will be a fan favorite, I'm just big on JJJ because if healthy he's capable of doing more for this team than what Vescovi does. I think they are a terrific combo and will be on the floor together a bunch but in the end I just feel that JJJs all around game is just too much for any coach to ignore. He's a mismatch on the boards for any guard, he's a terrific defender, he's unselfish to a fault, I guess I just don't see the weaknesses in him that you see. SV saved our rears last season and was needed but his only competition for playing time came from Gaines really, this season he's going to be up against Springer, Bailey and Gaines for those same minutes. I think Barnes will continue to use Vescovi and think I even said he's going to get his same 30 minutes come tournament time but I still think JJJs size, strength and all around game is what puts him over the top. He's also pretty much in every type of lineup Barnes can run out there whether it be big, small or defensive, Vescovi isn't in at least 2 of those lineups unless he's shown improvement in his defensive game, something though I think he will indeed be better at this year. Do you think SV is our starting PG and will be the entire season?

JJJ played injured the entire season last year, including preseason. He didn't "lose" minutes to SV, Barnes played both every single minute he could get out of them out of necessity as they were the only 2 who could get the ball upcourt alongside Bowden who got 35 minutes a game I think. This season we don't have that problem as we have 5-6 guys that can get the ball up the court. Vescovi is a good college player, potential to be great and I feel is going to be a big factor this year, might even be the heart and soul of the team and certainly will be a fan favorite, I'm just big on JJJ because if healthy he's capable of doing more for this team than what Vescovi does. I think they are a terrific combo and will be on the floor together a bunch but in the end I just feel that JJJs all around game is just too much for any coach to ignore. He's a mismatch on the boards for any guard, he's a terrific defender, he's unselfish to a fault, I guess I just don't see the weaknesses in him that you see. SV saved our rears last season and was needed but his only competition for playing time came from Gaines really, this season he's going to be up against Springer, Bailey and Gaines for those same minutes. I think Barnes will continue to use Vescovi and think I even said he's going to get his same 30 minutes come tournament time but I still think JJJs size, strength and all around game is what puts him over the top. He's also pretty much in every type of lineup Barnes can run out there whether it be big, small or defensive, Vescovi isn't in at least 2 of those lineups unless he's shown improvement in his defensive game, something though I think he will indeed be better at this year. Do you think SV is our starting PG and will be the entire season?
SV can be your starting PG in a big lineup or small lineup...

Vescovi/JJJ/Pons/Anosike/Fulk
Vescovi/Springer/Johnson/JJJ/Fulk or Pons

I think SV is the starting PG in our first game, ego knows about all year...I’ll go ahead and say JJJ doesn’t start every game this year though.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
I would generally agree to those numbers but I would chop off eight minutes from Bailey and distribute that to the other guards and I think OK gets some minutes down low to get Fulk and Pons some more rest
So something like

Pons 27
Fulk 28
JJJ 27
Vescovi 27
Johnson 27
Springer 27
Bailey 12
Anosike 20
Oliver 5
I think all of this is based on just how good Keon and Springer are. Keon, while extremely active and productive on both ends is not necessarily a physical player and hasn't faced the beatings he's going to take within the SEC, how well or bad he handles that will determine his minutes. He looks bigger physically in recent videos so that may help. I don't know anything about Springer but its easy to tell he's a physical player, does he have the handles and quickness to hold up and can he consistently knock down jumpers will determine his minutes. Any combination of 3 at guard consisting of JJJ/Springer/Keon or Vescovi is going to be used most, I could even see Pons playing some 3 if he's improved his handles. The three 5* guards could also be the best defensive guard unit in the country by season's end and that's a scenario every coach would love to have. I'm hoping Bailey has some quickness as this isn't necessarily the quickest team in the country at the guard spots although our frontcourt is probably the quickest in the country minus Uros.

Reactions: Vol49er
I think all of this is based on just how good Keon and Springer are. Keon, while extremely active and productive on both ends is not necessarily a physical player and hasn't faced the beatings he's going to take within the SEC, how well or bad he handles that will determine his minutes. He looks bigger physically in recent videos so that may help. I don't know anything about Springer but its easy to tell he's a physical player, does he have the handles and quickness to hold up and can he consistently knock down jumpers will determine his minutes. Any combination of 3 at guard consisting of JJJ/Springer/Keon or Vescovi is going to be used most, I could even see Pons playing some 3 if he's improved his handles. The three 5* guards could also be the best defensive guard unit in the country by season's end and that's a scenario every coach would love to have. I'm hoping Bailey has some quickness as this isn't necessarily the quickest team in the country at the guard spots although our frontcourt is probably the quickest in the country minus Uros.
I agree with what you said except I doubt Yves gets much, if any, time at the 3. We have so many players 1-3, and relatively little depth at the 4 and 5, so I would think it unwise to use him at the 3. Though I am bigger on OK than most on this board (and am less high on Gaines, but hopefully I'm wrong about that)

SV can be your starting PG in a big lineup or small lineup...

Vescovi/JJJ/Pons/Anosike/Fulk
Vescovi/Springer/Johnson/JJJ/Fulk or Pons

I think SV is the starting PG in our first game, ego knows about all year...I’ll go ahead and say JJJ doesn’t start every game this year though.
How is he in the big lineup? I think our big lineup will be JJJ/Springer/Pons/Anosike and Fulkerson, it's our most physical lineup we could put out there and the best rebounding group. Both Oliver and Uros could mix in here as well as Keon at the 2.
It's going to be interesting to see how Barnes handles the rotation, in the end though I think it's going to come down to 7 main guys and how well their skillsets come together. Barring injury I think only Fulkerson, Pons and JJJ start every game. I think Vescovi will start out over Springer but that will change as the season goes as I just feel Vescovi can be used as a weapon coming off the bench and providing most of our reserves point production. If JJJ or Springer/Anosike/Bailey/O/Uros/Gaines are our bench guys there's not much scoring going to come from that group.

How is he in the big lineup? I think our big lineup will be JJJ/Springer/Pons/Anosike and Fulkerson, it's our most physical lineup we could put out there and the best rebounding group. Both Oliver and Uros could mix in here as well as Keon at the 2.
It's going to be interesting to see how Barnes handles the rotation, in the end though I think it's going to come down to 7 main guys and how well their skillsets come together. Barring injury I think only Fulkerson, Pons and JJJ start every game. I think Vescovi will start out over Springer but that will change as the season goes as I just feel Vescovi can be used as a weapon coming off the bench and providing most of our reserves point production. If JJJ or Springer/Anosike/Bailey/O/Uros/Gaines are our bench guys there's not much scoring going to come from that group.
That lineup has no shooters at all, or really any sure ball handlers either...if I was a coach I would press those guys and then fall into a sagging zone and beg you to beat me from deep.

I would put big money on it that JJJ doesn’t start every game, heck even the 2 big media outlets who talk with coaches say JJJ is likely odd man out of starting lineup as things currently stand. Obviously that can change but acting like he’s a shoe in similar to Fulky and Pons is pretty off base IMO.

As to the bolded, this is a bad take...we aren’t playing hockey. JJJ may come in for Johnson, then Johnson may come in for Vescovi, then Vescovi may come in for Springer. Then Springer may come in for Pons. You can’t preach about versatility and then act like we are do platoon type subbing where guys are locked into spots.

If Vescovi, Bailey, Springer, Johnson, JJJ, Pons, Anosike and Fulky are your main 8 you play them in lineups that are most effective and complimentary. There’s some guys you probably try to avoid playing together, but you most certainly start who you feel is your best group with this roster.

Reactions: Vol49er
That lineup has almost no chance to score against any good defensive team.

That lineup has almost no chance to score against any good defensive team.
Sub in Keon at the 2 or 3 and move Pons back to 4 then. I've stated the 7 I think will play the most and I think 95% would agree that is how it plays out. We all have good opinions of the rotation and it's definitely exciting to look at all the different lineups. It's a good thing to be flexible in what we do. In the end Barnes is a defense 1st coach, efficiency on offense and don't turn the ball over thus I believe our most used lineup will be JJJ/Springer/Keon/Pons/Fulkerson. Maybe you move Vescovi into Springer's spot and use him off the bench. Either way, those 6 plus Anosike is going to determine if we win a championship this season and I'll trust Barnes in how and when he uses them. It does surprise me a bit that we have fans that don't believe in JJJ though, kid is a poor man's Scottie Pippen and if healthy I think he's arguably our best All-Around player when you consider how much he produces at each end.

I feel quite sure that even Rick has no idea yet. We have 3 weeks until the first game, and a lot will be determined during that time.

That lineup has no shooters at all, or really any sure ball handlers either...if I was a coach I would press those guys and then fall into a sagging zone and beg you to beat me from deep.

I would put big money on it that JJJ doesn’t start every game, heck even the 2 big media outlets who talk with coaches say JJJ is likely odd man out of starting lineup as things currently stand. Obviously that can change but acting like he’s a shoe in similar to Fulky and Pons is pretty off base IMO.

As to the bolded, this is a bad take...we aren’t playing hockey. JJJ may come in for Johnson, then Johnson may come in for Vescovi, then Vescovi may come in for Springer. Then Springer may come in for Pons. You can’t preach about versatility and then act like we are do platoon type subbing where guys are locked into spots.

If Vescovi, Bailey, Springer, Johnson, JJJ, Pons, Anosike and Fulky are your main 8 you play them in lineups that are most effective and complimentary. There’s some guys you probably try to avoid playing together, but you most certainly start who you feel is your best group with this roster.
I'm not nearly as high on Bailey as others are, he'll probably prove me wrong which is fine by me, besides, can you tell me the last time our #8 won a ballgame for us, I'm sure it's happened, probably not that often though. It's possible that JJJ/Vescovi start every game this season and Springer or Keon is used off the bench. I just don't think our most reliable rebounding guard who plays lights out defense, blocks shots and shoots it at the same % as SV, turns it over less than SV and distributes it just as well is going to sit the bench much.

I feel quite sure that even Rick has no idea yet. We have 3 weeks until the first game, and a lot will be determined during that time.
Effort and energy will be rewarded with playing time early in the season, come tournament time we'll know who our best options are. I'm happy that we have the depth that will make a big difference as different scenarios play out throughout the season. I think Fulkerson is the only player we can't afford to lose, we don't have anyone that can come close to his skillset or importance to this team, never thought I'd say that just 2 seasons ago.

Reactions: cardvolfan
There’s no doubt JJJ is going to play big minutes, 1-6 are all gonna see 20+mpg, and as we know with Barnes lots of times it’s not about who starts verse who’s out there with 3 minutes left in a close game. Bailey and Anosike are the 2 biggest questions imo, we haven’t seen either and don’t know what to expect and there are varying opinions.

I'm not nearly as high on Bailey as others are, he'll probably prove me wrong which is fine by me, besides, can you tell me the last time our #8 won a ballgame for us, I'm sure it's happened, probably not that often though. It's possible that JJJ/Vescovi start every game this season and Springer or Keon is used off the bench. I just don't think our most reliable rebounding guard who plays lights out defense, blocks shots and shoots it at the same % as SV, turns it over less than SV and distributes it just as well is going to sit the bench much.
Not to be that guy, but Skylar Mcbee won the #1 ranked Kansas game for us and he was lowering than the #8 option. Sorry I just love to bring up Skylar Mcbee anytime I can lol

Not to be that guy, but Skylar Mcbee won the #1 ranked Kansas game for us and he was lowering than the #8 option. Sorry I just love to bring up Skylar Mcbee anytime I can lol
It definitely happens and it did that night as you say, good call. Now name 10 more times!! :) The Mcbee name is famous throughout Tennessee basketball, especially at the high school level.

Sub in Keon at the 2 or 3 and move Pons back to 4 then. I've stated the 7 I think will play the most and I think 95% would agree that is how it plays out. We all have good opinions of the rotation and it's definitely exciting to look at all the different lineups. It's a good thing to be flexible in what we do. In the end Barnes is a defense 1st coach, efficiency on offense and don't turn the ball over thus I believe our most used lineup will be JJJ/Springer/Keon/Pons/Fulkerson. Maybe you move Vescovi into Springer's spot and use him off the bench. Either way, those 6 plus Anosike is going to determine if we win a championship this season and I'll trust Barnes in how and when he uses them. It does surprise me a bit that we have fans that don't believe in JJJ though, kid is a poor man's Scottie Pippen and if healthy I think he's arguably our best All-Around player when you consider how much he produces at each end.
My hesitation with believing that heavily in JJJ fully is his inconsistent effort from game to game. I understand he wasn't 100% for most last season, but if he was healthy enough to be cleared to play his numbers and impact should have been more consistent. He'd have a game where he looked like the best player on the floor and then disappear for a game or two. Imo, when he starts to bare down on the defensive side and be the dominant defender that he can be, it will also translate to being more aggressive on the offensive end. Similar to baseball player making a great catch to end an inning and then leading off the next inning at the plate believing they're Babe Ruth. lol

My hesitation with believing that heavily in JJJ fully is his inconsistent effort from game to game. I understand he wasn't 100% for most last season, but if he was healthy enough to be cleared to play his numbers and impact should have been more consistent. He'd have a game where he looked like the best player on the floor and then disappear for a game or two. Imo, when he starts to bare down on the defensive side and be the dominant defender that he can be, it will also translate to being more aggressive on the offensive end. Similar to baseball player making a great catch to end an inning and then leading off the next inning at the plate believing they're Babe Ruth. lol

I thought that JJJ generally trended up throughout the season. Not necessarily a straight line. Plus he had a nagging injury throughout the season on top of adjusting to college level competition and add in the lineup disruption of Turner quiting and Vescovi blowing into town. And the inside play was inconsistent on the offensive end. Wasn’t the big kid from Delaware expected to be an inside presence too? A lot of practice time was wasted with Kent in the pre-season rotation. Maybe a lot of it running with JJJ.

I thought that JJJ generally trended up throughout the season. Not necessarily a straight line. Plus he had a nagging injury throughout the season on top of adjusting to college level competition and add in the lineup disruption of Turner quiting and Vescovi blowing into town. And the inside play was inconsistent on the offensive end. Wasn’t the big kid from Delaware expected to be an inside presence too? A lot of practice time was wasted with Kent in the pre-season rotation. Maybe a lot of it running with JJJ.
Not disagreeing with anything here, but it does feel like a lot of excuses for a 5* with college ready frame. The injury obviously had impact but again, he was healthy enough to suit up most nights. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to bash the guy for not being a major impact guy right away. just saying I just didn't see enough evidence of potentially being that guy at 100%. jmo Hope he improves big time on the offensive side and takes more pride on the defensive side. GBO!!

Not disagreeing with anything here, but it does feel like a lot of excuses for a 5* with college ready frame. The injury obviously had impact but again, he was healthy enough to suit up most nights. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to bash the guy for not being a major impact guy right away. just saying I just didn't see enough evidence of potentially being that guy at 100%. jmo Hope he improves big time on the offensive side and takes more pride on the defensive side. GBO!!
I promise I don't mean this to come off combative but I am curious if you've ever injured your groin? It's one of those slowest healing injuries you can have. It affects so many parts of your body movement and can be re-injured so easily as well. Being more hesitant from game to game while being "healthy enough to suit up" is realistic enough to have an effect on his nightly impact. They're tough to overcome. I didn't view his inconsistency in impact as as a reflection on his ability as much as a kid who has never had a serious injury trying to figure out how to impact a game while not at 100% for the first time in his career.

I think we all agree we hope he's healthy and able to show what he has in the tank every night. I think he's a Top 3 player on this team if healthy and quite possibly our best all-around player as one stated above.

I think you bring up a good and valid point. I would probably say as much or maybe even more had I not witnessed the Fulk saga. He went from like a 6 or 7 his freshman year with some flashes of 8 or 9, then he was injured. He looked like doodoo for a pretty good while before he crept into SEC POY converstaions....

So I don't know what to make of it. Recent history suggests he'll be in good shape this season.

Last edited:
JVescovi is a good college player, potential to be great and I feel is going to be a big factor this year, might even be the heart and soul of the team and certainly will be a fan favorite, I'm just big on JJJ because if healthy he's capable of doing more for this team than what Vescovi does. I think they are a terrific combo and will be on the floor together a bunch but in the end I just feel that JJJs all around game is just too much for any coach to ignore. He's a mismatch on the boards for any guard, he's a terrific defender, he's unselfish to a fault, I guess I just don't see the weaknesses in him that you see. S

yes indeed

I promise I don't mean this to come off combative but I am curious if you've ever injured your groin? It's one of those slowest healing injuries you can have. It affects so many parts of your body movement and can be re-injured so easily as well. Being more hesitant from game to game while being "healthy enough to suit up" is realistic enough to have an effect on his nightly impact. They're tough to overcome. I didn't view his inconsistency in impact as as a reflection on his ability as much as a kid who has never had a serious injury trying to figure out how to impact a game while not at 100% for the first time in his career.

I think we all agree we hope he's healthy and able to show what he has in the tank every night. I think he's a Top 3 player on this team if healthy and quite possibly our best all-around player as one stated above.
To your first part I have not, and didn’t take your post combative at all. But, if he weren’t able to go, the trainers, staff and coach would not allow him to be out there. Didn’t have a groin injury but did have a couple of deep thigh bruises. And the only thing that heals those was doing next nothing for a long a few weeks. If the groin was a major issue he wouldn’t have performed as well as he did in some of the games he played. Imo

Reactions: JelloPuddinPup
I think you bring up a good and valid point. I would probably say as much or maybe even more had I not witnessed the Fulk saga. He went from like a 6 or 7 his freshman year with some flashes of 8 or 9, then he was injured. He looked like doodoo for a pretty good while before he crept into SEC POY converstaions....

So I don't know what to make of it. Recent history suggests he'll be in good shape this season.
Yeah but the effort was never a Fulk problem. Frame and skillset at that point was Fulkys biggest prob... Hope like crazy that recent history shows its face again

Yeah but the effort was never a Fulk problem. Frame and skillset at that point was Fulkys biggest prob... Hope like crazy that recent history shows its face again
I always thought that simply staying on his feet and not falling to the floor all the time has been his biggest improvement, he hits the floor a bunch for a Center.

VN Store

Back