Barnes says he is really happy with his point guards.

OrangeBeachVol

That's not the news, I know all of you saw that. But as hard as he is on his PG's for him to say that should give everyone a good feeling. It may be the only time this season he says it, ha but I thought it was note-worthy. If the PG's are playing to Barnes level that would go a long way to making this team a really good one.

Probably play smaller
I think you're exactly right. I expect plenty of 3 guard sets with some combinations of Vescovi, Keon, Jaden, Bailey, Jo on the floor together. All of them can handle the ball or play off the ball too. Very versatile group. I do expect some mid to high post offense run through EJ or Fulky since they can all work well off the ball, maybe Uros since he'll be able to see over anybody essentially, but I don't know how adept he is as a passer.

Reactions: Yazzy
Maybe Barnes plays Anosike at the center position if Fulkerson and Plavsic get in foul trouble with Pons and James at the wings and Santiago and Johnson or Springer at guard.

Reactions: njvols
I'm curious what Barnes meant when he said "our backcourt depth will allow us to do different things with our frontcourt."
Sounds to me like we're going to get out and run the floor more. Our bigs can move, all but Uros. All indications are that Anosike is going to be a good finisher at the rim, Johnson and Springer are dynamic at the rim and JJJ is a mismatch on the break whether distributing or finishing. We've got depth so I'm expecting to see us press full court most of the time, I think we'll trap more and with the bigs being able to run the floor it'll create instant offense. We're going to be good defensively and if we can consistently go on 10-20 point runs with instant offense we'll be tough to beat. Potential to be top 10 in both scoring offense and defense if we get out and run more. This style only works if you dominate on the boards and that could be this teams only weakness.

Deep Team. They will trap play in your face man and run run run. We have the depth to push teams into submission. But if pace of play slows down we know we can go there as well. Will be fun this year. In CHRIST Alone

That's not the news, I know all of you saw that. But as hard as he is on his PG's for him to say that should give everyone a good feeling. It may be the only time this season he says it, ha but I thought it was note-worthy. If the PG's are playing to Barnes level that would go a long way to making this team a really good one.
keep the bball posts coming...time for a pivot. Call me when we've got a new QB.

We might be short in the post if you don't count Uros, but I think a lot of people fail to mention how tall we are at the guard and wing position and how much length we have. CRB's defense relies heavily on defended passing lanes. Some of the wing spans on these guys are insane!

Imagine having JJJ, Keon, Gaines, Pons, Fulky out there all at the same time. The defensive capabilities and the turnovers they'd cause would be fun to watch. A lot of blocked shots as well.

Just in time for the new TN gambling sites to open. Hoping to make some vacation money this year riding the Vol Express

Reactions: tn4elvis
We might be short in the post if you don't count Uros, but I think a lot of people fail to mention how tall we are at the guard and wing position and how much length we have. CRB's defense relies heavily on defended passing lanes. Some of the wing spans on these guys are insane!

Imagine having JJJ, Keon, Gaines, Pons, Fulky out there all at the same time. The defensive capabilities and the turnovers they'd cause would be fun to watch. A lot of blocked shots as well.
Those big guards are going to have to help out rebounding the basketball as we are weak in that department. Our best post rebounders are reserves and won't see big minutes and we'll be asking a lot of JJJ to continue to get 5-7 a game and improve on the offensive end. Fulky and Pons are both going to have to improve their rebounding numbers for this to be the best team in the country. Rebounding could be our Achilles heel this season.

Those big guards are going to have to help out rebounding the basketball as we are weak in that department. Our best post rebounders are reserves and won't see big minutes and we'll be asking a lot of JJJ to continue to get 5-7 a game and improve on the offensive end. Fulky and Pons are both going to have to improve their rebounding numbers for this to be the best team in the country. Rebounding could be our Achilles heel this season.
I disagree. You bring in Anosike to be your bulk rebounder. Then you have Pons. Then you have at least marginally capable guys behind them.

my words on Santi (claus) Vescovi

Santiago Vescovi set to take a step forward as a sophomore

I think he is option 1, with Bailey/ JJJ spelling him. though I kinda like JJJ in more of a JP Prince role, where he can handle if needed, but JJJ size, strength and rebounding ability make him an option at SF. Recent practice vid looked like Santi running with the 1s at PG and JJJ running point with the twos. IDK IDK IDK just yay basketball

I disagree. You bring in Anosike to be your bulk rebounder. Then you have Pons. Then you have at least marginally capable guys behind them.
Anosike is not going to play much over Fulkerson and Pons and I doubt many reserve players have ever led their team in rebounding. He's a good rebounder but I doubt he's on the floor with the game on the line late in the 2nd half when we will need key rebounds. Pons was not a very good rebounder last season thus my reasoning that he and Fulkerson must improve in that department.

my words on Santi (claus) Vescovi

Santiago Vescovi set to take a step forward as a sophomore

I think he is option 1, with Bailey/ JJJ spelling him. though I kinda like JJJ in more of a JP Prince role, where he can handle if needed, but JJJ size, strength and rebounding ability make him an option at SF. Recent practice vid looked like Santi running with the 1s at PG and JJJ running point with the twos. IDK IDK IDK just yay basketball
Vescovi better get better defensively and at rebounding I think if he's going to start. I think Barnes will use him as an offensive spark off the bench and when teams play zone against us. I believe his numbers will shrink a bit across the board this year.

Vescovi better get better defensively and at rebounding I think if he's going to start. I think Barnes will use him as an offensive spark off the bench and when teams play zone against us. I believe his numbers will shrink a bit across the board this year.

who starts at point then?

A note: Santi-agria's defensive rating was fourth-highest on the team, behind Uros, Bowden and Yves.

Last edited:
Anosike is not going to play much over Fulkerson and Pons and I doubt many reserve players have ever led their team in rebounding. He's a good rebounder but I doubt he's on the floor with the game on the line late in the 2nd half when we will need key rebounds. Pons was not a very good rebounder last season thus my reasoning that he and Fulkerson must improve in that department.
Agree...even if Anosike plays 20 minutes and gets you 6-7 rebounds (great number/mins) and then Pons/Fulky play 60 and only get you 11 rebounds that’s not going to really cut it. We need 60+ minutes from that duo but they’ve got to do better than a combined 11rpg, Pons at 5.4rpg isn’t horrible, Fulky needs to be up around 8-9prg at least though. With that said, it was a constant point of focus from Barnes so I am sure it has been addressed and will be improved.

Rebounding and perimeter shooting are my 2 biggest questions, not that I think either will struggle but those are 2 areas I’m interested to see.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan

VN Store

Back