Barnes said he would be at UCLA if buyout was paid

Maybe I am misunderstanding this whole thing, but if UCLA basically said no because of the buyout, then why did we make Rick Barnes the 3rd highest paid coach in the nation?

But...I thought he decided to stay because the university decided to go “all-in” on our basketball program and that Barnes had decided that UT was a place that he could build a program that consistently competes for championships??

Seriously, not a good look for him. Take your well-earned raise, work your tail off and at least let the fans think you chose UT over UCLA for the right reasons.

Bruce Pearl declined to talk with Arizona in 2009 before they hired Sean Miller. Now, Arizona isn't exactly UCLA but Lute Olson made it a very good job.

Was all over Memphis when Cal left, tho.

I would rather someone be an adult and answer my question honestly and directly than dance around the truth trying to protect my feelings. Now that being said. He never said he didn't want to be at Tennessee. The chance to return UCLA to its glory days was an enticing thing for him. I respect that. Tennessee is a great place for him. Unfortunately our fanbase for the most part will respect his honesty. The keyboard jockies on here will be just that. Another reason to flame away at him because we didn't make a final four this year. The first half against Purdue lost us that chance and that's clearly on the players for half arse play for 20 minutes. 30 plus games into a season and you lose you go home. You shouldn't expect the coach to get you up for the game. Players lost that game. Not coach Barnes. I'm thankful he didn't leave. I respect our coach. I'm proud of the direction we are going. And I'm excited about the future talent level we will be seeing.

See a lot of folks saying they appreciate his honesty, but there are honest ways he could've answered the question without just coming out and saying that. Yikes.
Yep. Just because something is true doesn't mean it has to be said. There's a difference between simply leaving something unsaid and lying or being misleading.

Indeed, some things are better left unsaid. Nothing like telling a fan base with high expectations that they are really a second choice after becoming what....the third highest paid coach in college basketball? Questionable decision, Rick.

This all day! Remember, Vol fans hold grudges warranted or not. I don’t like what he said and I’m sure there are others that feel the same way. TN has treated coach Barnes very well so no need for the comment.

Also, how mad are you if you're a UCLA fan to hear that, after a bumbling coaching search they might've had their guy who's a HOF'er but the powers that be let the buyout stop them from getting the deal done. I know we'd be ticked.

UCLA is becoming a hell hole. I’m not sure a southern boy would be welcomed with open arms. A little bit of adversity and he would on the hot seat instantly.

He explained that it was nothing against Tennessee but that the UCLA job did hold a high sense of prestige for him with their history and he referenced a meeting with John Wooden from years ago. It's a sensitive bunch on here so I'm not surprised the instinct is to take it personally but I don't believe that is how it was intended.

Think about "The Godfather" for a minute... "This is nothing personal, Sonny.... It's just business." - Michael Corleone

We are not the job to end all jobs for Barnes... but why should we be? He is not an alum; nor is he from Tennessee. He is here for the money. So, just be glad we have a good coach and expect him to earn that fat salary he is now getting. Go Vols!!!!
Everything that you're saying is true but it's just a total unforced error by him. It doesn't do him any good to say that, either with his current players, current/future recruits, and the fans.

Leave the man alone. As a business man, you always weigh your options, and $5 mil a year plus bonuses and endorsements is a huge option! Four years ago we were something like 14-19, this year we were 31-6 with NO top 100 recruits! Geesh! Show me another program that has had that kind of turnaround in 4 years...

Reactions: amorange
I honestly can’t believe people are mad at this.
I understand why people are upset. Essentially what he is saying is "I'd rather be coaching at UCLA but it's got to make financial sense. Since they couldn't get the buyout together now I'm stuck here............BTW Thanks for making me the third highest paid coach in the country."

VN Store

Back