Barnes replacement?

Tennessee Should Consider Hiring FAU Coach Dusty May As Rick Barnes Underperforms Once Again: Guilbeau

Not saying I agree with anything that was written but it's a common narrative that UT should move on from Barnes.

We would have run Dusty May out of town before this season ever happened. The man never won more than 19 games in his first four seasons. Maybe he actually is a really good coach, but it just as likely if not more likely that he is pretty “meh” and this season will ultimately prove to be a complete anomaly .

He can stay as long as he wants and i think my choice long ago to replace him will still end up that way. Kim English just hired at Providence!

Reactions: Vol4life2
Wasn't something mentioned when Coach Barnes signed after the UCLA courting his new contract that as long as he was healthy he'd probably coach 5 more years? If so, I'm thinking this is year 3 so 2 more years?

Can't believe replacing Barnes is a serious discussion among some of our "fans".

Barnes is in his last few years of coaching barring a miracle, it's a legitimate discussion topic. We are not firing him, but he will need to be replaced at some point. I doubt May is availble when it's time to replace Barnes. He's done a great job at FAU, which was a total disaster when he arrived. They'd only had three winning seasons in the 25 years before he started there. They have 5 straight under him. Bob Knight has arguably the best coaching tree in CBB history. May looks like another of them.

The funny part about all this is....if we're talking 3-5 years from now and Barnes is ready to hang it up, and this guy is still coaching at this high level and probably even gone somewhere else and is still great.....sure I have no problem with him being a possible replacement. But a kneejerk reaction after one good run.....yeah no.

Reminds me of people here wanting Ron Hunter of Georgia St. because GSU beat Baylor in the first round back in 2015.

Long line of failed BB coaches hired a bigger schools after a couple of good seasons at a mid-major or made one NCAA run. Cuonzo Martin come to mind?

Reactions: tbwhhs
Long line of failed BB coaches hired a bigger schools after a couple of good seasons at a mid-major or made one NCAA run. Cuonzo Martin come to mind?
You're exactly right. However I don't recall Cuonzo Martin ever having a good run at Missouri State. Mike Hamilton did everything in his power to destroy every sports program at UT, especially basketball. I'd take Buzz over Clownshoes.

Reactions: OrangeBeachVol

VN Store

Back