Barnes fires back at Pruitt allegations

What Pruitt is doing is different than just "fighting for his money". He is making baseless accusations in the press and openly accusing other coaches by name of being dirty. He is also essentially having his lawyer attempt to extort the university. These are things that will actively make the guy unemployable in college sports ever again. No one will hire him for airing dirty laundry, and it doesn't seem like his pro career is exactly thriving at the moment. There are better ways to fight than how he is operating.
I would appreciate an explanation from one of our resident legal professionals, as to why this isn't extortion. It meets the textbook definition. Pruitt's lawyer is trying to obtain money, by way of a threat.

Tennessee does not want this to go to court and everything becomes public. Not speaking mainly on Barnes but the entire university. Everyone breaks the rules at every college in some form or fashion. If this goes to court things will be revealed that's going to surprise many of you.
Not necessarily. You should read what some of the attorneys have posted on the matter. In fact, not likely at all that Barnes or anyone outside the football program could even be mentioned in a court of law

Pruitt is committing career suicide by doing this. What a nouveau riche SOB. Attempting to bring down a coach like Barnes with a long-standing top notch reputation is beyond moronic. Though, I wouldn’t expect anything less from a guy who tried to fight Mark Richt. This will not end well for Jeremy. He is going to end up with a worse reputation than Rush Propst.

Last edited:
The interesting thing is that Currie is doing very well at Wake Forest with his football coach, Dave Clausen (currently 6-0 for the first time since 1944) and his basketball coach, Steve Forbes. They're winning with people we fired (although Forbes has a huge rebuild ahead of him).

I believe Clausen has been at Wake long before Currie.

But he does seem to be doing better. Didn't Currie hire Vitello?

I would appreciate an explanation from one of our resident legal professionals, as to why this isn't extortion. It meets the textbook definition. Pruitt's lawyer is trying to obtain money, by way of a threat.

There is a litigation privilege. Pruitt's lawyer can make allegations in a lawsuit that tend to show that the university breached its existing contract with his client. As an attorney, I would tell Pruitt's lawyer to be careful with some of those "threats," but he is just posturing to gain some leverage with the situation.

What do you really expect Pruitt to do. He is going to fight for his money anyone would. The problem I have is with the administration they knew this would happen and should have settled with him long ago. If this goes to court Tennessee is in trouble when all the dirty secrets come out.

First, let's be clear, it is not "his money" just because he had a contract. For it to be "his money," he had to properly perform his contract (and all of its terms and conditions). We are told he was dismissed for breaching his contract by causing or allowing multiple serious NCAA infractions, a violation of his contract. If that is true, it's not "his money." If UT just made up the reason for his dismissal, he may have a good lawsuit. From public information, UT and the NCAA don't appear to think that is the case and, given UT's behavior to date, they seem pretty sure of themselves. UT appears to have fired him for cause based on something they know he did and his lawsuit will reveal exactly what that cause was. No violations, he will win. Violations, thanks for playing Mr. Pruitt.

Second, given that people at UT probably know his attitude and intellectual abilities much better than the average fan, I think it is extremely likely that the administration did, in fact, know these threats would be made and they chose to fight rather than buy him off. The "dirty secrets" of the football program are, most likely, already fully known to the administration and the NCAA. I don't see how he gets any real leverage there. As for other sports, assuming something is "dirty" in them, who in their right mind would have shared the alleged other "dirty secrets" with this guy? What about him would inspire trust from other coaches, like Rick Barnes, with any information that could put those other coaches in jeopardy of ending up where he did for running a "dirty" program? If they trusted him, or anyone else, with any "dirty secrets," I would be stunned. Legal evidence requires personal knowledge. Do you truly think he has any or does this look like a classic litigation bluff?

Finally, I'm not saying nothing else is wrong in the UTAD. A clean as a whistle program would be surprising given today's climate in college sports. What I am saying is, to me, it is unlikely that this guy would have evidence (personal knowledge) of any wrongdoings by others and it is even more unlikely that the alleged misdeeds of others would ultimately have any legal relevance to his breach of contract suit. From everything we have heard, he got caught with a program full of NCAA violations. IF so, he breached his contract. His claim, to me, doesn't get any better if some other guy or girl at UT breached their contractual duty, too.

Based on what we know to date from the public record, I truly hopes UT stands its ground and gives him what he appears entitled to --- nothing.

Last edited:
Mad respect for Rick Barnes. He’s a true legend and represents our university well. Pruitt, on the other hand, is a garbage human being and Coach, and he’s proving it.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
First, let's be clear, it is not "his money" just because he had a contract. For it to be "his money," he had to properly perform his contract (and all of its terms and conditions). We are told he was dismissed for breaching his contract by causing or allowing multiple serious NCAA infractions, a violation of his contract. If that is true, it's not "his money." If UT just made up the reason for his dismissal, he may have a good lawsuit. From public information, UT and the NCAA don't appear to think that is the case and, given UT's behavior to date, they seem pretty sure of themselves. UT appears to have fired him for cause based on something they know he did and his lawsuit will reveal exactly what that cause was. No violations, he will win. Violations, thanks for playing Mr. Pruitt.

Second, given that people at UT probably know his attitude and intellectual abilities much better than the average fan, I think it is extremely likely that the administration did, in fact, know these threats would be made and they chose to fight rather than buy him off. The "dirty secrets" of the football program are, most likely, already fully known to the administration and the NCAA. I don't see how he gets any real leverage there. As for other sports, assuming something is "dirty" in them, who in their right mind would have shared the alleged other "dirty secrets" with this guy? What about him would inspire trust from other coaches, like Rick Barnes, with any information that could put those other coaches in jeopardy of ending up where he did for running a "dirty" program? If they trusted him, or anyone else, with any "dirty secrets," I would be stunned. Legal evidence requires personal knowledge. Do you truly think he has any or does this look like a classic litigation bluff?

Finally, I'm not saying nothing else is wrong in the UTAD. A clean as a whistle program would be surprising given today's climate in college sports. What I am saying is, to me, it is unlikely that this guy would have evidence (personal knowledge) of any wrongdoings by others and it is even more unlikely that the alleged misdeeds of others would ultimately have any legal relevance to his breach of contract suit. From everything we have heard, he got caught with a program full of NCAA violations. IF so, he breached his contract. His claim, to me, doesn't get any better if some other guy or girl at UT breached their contractual duty, too.

Based on what we know to date from the public record, I truly hopes UT stands its ground and gives him what he appears entitled to --- nothing.

All very good points. At some point, though, it can become a business decision. "Standing your ground" can still cost money, and sometimes, you pay peanuts to make it go away. I am sure UT has competent people assessing the situation and making that call.

All very good points. At some point, though, it can become a business decision. "Standing your ground" can still cost money, and sometimes, you pay peanuts to make it go away. I am sure UT has competent people assessing the situation and making that call.

Yep. Today, most civil litigation settles. Everything has a price tag, including, especially, the elimination of risk of loss.

Interestingly, I wonder if Pruitt's lawyer's threats may have actually reduced his leverage by forcing UT into a corner. Now that the threats have been made public, UT may want (or have to) disprove them publicly. I wonder if his attorney knew about Tennessee's Open Records Act. He may never have intended for his threat to embarrass the university and unmask alleged widespread rule-breaking to become public. But, it is reported, that once the letter was received by UT it became subject to a successful Open Records Act request. Public disclosure of Pruitt's as yet unproven claims may have backed UT into a corner such that it can no longer settle without appearing to also publicly admit that Pruitt's threats were true, even if non-admission language is included in a settlement agreement. Maybe his aggressive approach has back-fired.

Yep. Today, most civil litigation settles. Everything has a price tag, including, especially, the elimination of risk of loss.

Interestingly, I wonder if Pruitt's lawyer's threats may have actually reduced his leverage by forcing UT into a corner. Now that the threats have been made public, UT may want (or have to) disprove them publicly. I wonder if his attorney knew about Tennessee's Open Records Act. He may never have intended for his threat to embarrass the university and unmask alleged widespread rule-breaking to become public. But, it is reported, that once the letter was received by UT it became subject to a successful Open Records Act request. Public disclosure of Pruitt's as yet unproven claims may have backed UT into a corner such that it can no longer settle without appearing to also publicly admit that Pruitt's threats were true, even if non-admission language is included in a settlement agreement. Maybe his aggressive approach has back-fired.
I think it's all grandstanding. Here in TN and as Vols fans, we know our reaction and seem to gauge it pretty well. What I'm curious about is how fans outside of the TN/SEC are taking it. They're (Pruitt/lawyer) probably trying to account for that public pressure more than they should.

Reactions: Lurker
I think it's all grandstanding. Here in TN and as Vols fans, we know our reaction and seem to gauge it pretty well. What I'm curious about is how fans outside of the TN/SEC are taking it. They're (Pruitt/lawyer) probably trying to account for that public pressure more than they should.

Ultimately, this is going to be a Tennessee law question, decided in Tennessee, by Tennesseans (either a jury or a judge). National pressure and opinion, assuming anyone out there actually cares anymore about one of our several former failed football coaches, will be irrelevant. I truly doubt this story is selling papers in NYC, Chicago, Dallas or LA. No one out there cares about the poor Alabama kid that lost his job in East Tennessee.

Reactions: cardvolfan
What Pruitt is doing is different than just "fighting for his money". He is making baseless accusations in the press and openly accusing other coaches by name of being dirty. He is also essentially having his lawyer attempt to extort the university. These are things that will actively make the guy unemployable in college sports ever again. No one will hire him for airing dirty laundry, and it doesn't seem like his pro career is exactly thriving at the moment. There are better ways to fight than how he is operating.
How do you know the accusations are baseless

How do you know the accusations are baseless

How do you know they’re not? See, it works both ways?

It would seem to me that if these accusations have any actual merit, and are not just an attempt at gaining some public pressure leverage, you’d keep your cards close to the chest rather than naming “dirty” coaches in the public sphere. You don’t show your hand if you have something worthwhile.

Barnes knows what? If you have the answers, where is your documented proof on your vague accusations. Put up or quit being the one who claims to know the answers.

I've already said one of our recent 5 star recruits got north of $200k from us. I also know that recruit asked for it in Barnes office with Barnes present.

So yes, Barnes knows. But if you want to keep burying your head in the sand and think we are landing 5 star players and are the only program not paying those guys, so be it. You think kids are turning down 6 figures just to come play here? Cmon man.

If I know these things then I'm sure Pruitt knows a lot more than I do.

I've already said one of our recent 5 star recruits got north of $200k from us. I also know that recruit asked for it in Barnes office with Barnes present.

So yes, Barnes knows. But if you want to keep burying your head in the sand and think we are landing 5 star players and are the only program not paying those guys, so be it. You think kids are turning down 6 figures just to come play here? Cmon man.

If I know these things then I'm sure Pruitt knows a lot more than I do.

Hahahaha. This is pure comedy. You think Barnes' would be so stupid as to have illict activity taking place in his personal office on campus? Come on, man. Don't be ridiculous. Barnes' is not dropping $200k offers from his desk in TBA.

Hahahaha. This is pure comedy. You think Barnes' would be so stupid as to have illict activity taking place in his personal office on campus? Come on, man. Don't be ridiculous. Barnes' is not dropping $200k offers from his desk in TBA.

You think the transaction of money happened in his office? You think they exchanged emails and texts about it? Is his actual office bugged and people are recording all his conversations?

The naivety and blind allegiance is laughable on here at times.

You think the transaction of money happened in his office? You think they exchanged emails and texts about it? Is his actual office bugged and people are recording all his conversations?

The naivety and blind allegiance is laughable on here at times.

I'm sorry, but if there is one thing I have learned on VolNation on the many years I have been here it's that there are NO true insiders on this board. Just people claiming to be in the know. Excuse me for being skeptical of an anonymous internet user claiming to have information about Rick Barnes illicit activity.

I'm not naive. No one is a truly clean program in 2021. But, I am not buying what you're selling. You have just as much evidence to prove your wild assertions as I do, which is NONE.

Say 8086 is correct. Wouldn’t Pruitt have to of been present during the discussion or payment exchange for it to matter? If Pruitt didn’t see it himself then it’s only here say, no different than us reading it on this forum and proves nothing in court. AmIRight?

Reactions: garyp194
I'm sorry, but if there is one thing I have learned on VolNation on the many years I have been here it's that there are NO true insiders on this board. Just people claiming to be in the know. Excuse me for being skeptical of an anonymous internet user claiming to have information about Rick Barnes illicit activity.

I'm not naive. No one is a truly clean program in 2021. But, I am not buying what you're selling. You have just as much evidence to prove your wild assertions as I do, which is NONE.

No offense, I don't really care if you believe me or not. I don't need some sort of ego boost from strangers on the internet. You can believe me or not. My day goes on as does yours. As an aside, anybody that makes up stories to get e-cred is an absolute loser in my book, so why would I try and be something I loathe?

What I find funny is that you hide behind the "prove it" moniker because you don't want to believe it. Why in the world would I want to put receipts on the internet for the NCAA to investigate and hammer the program? It makes zero sense and you as a fan wouldn't want me to do that either.

If you admit that nobody runs a "truly clean program in 2021" and the AAU circuit has been known to be corrupt with payment for 5 star players being the norm, why do you believe this isn't in the realm of possibility? When we lose a recruit everyone wants to claim "they were paid" but not here...

Whoa. That's pretty scathing coming from Rick Barnes. He didn't hold back. When you're colleagues turn on you this hard, you have to wonder @ how low Cornbread has gone.

Reactions: Volfan1000

VN Store

Back