Banks a talent Fulmer cant afford to keep

LadyinOrange

Trophy Mod
Staff member
Banks a talent Fulmer can't afford to keep
By JOHN ADAMS
July 18, 2004

Ever since James Banks arrived at the University of Tennessee, there has been speculation about where he should play.

As a true freshman in 2002, he came off the bench to complete 10 of 15 passes for 168 yards against SEC champion Georgia. As a sophomore, he moved to wide receiver and performed like a future NFL player for half the season. This summer, he has worked at defensive back, fostering more speculation as to how he might be used this fall.

You can stop speculating now. In the wee hours of Friday morning, UT finally figured out where Banks should play.

Nowhere.

Banks struck out Friday. He was charged with underage consumption of alcohol and violating the city's noise ordinance, hardly major transgressions when compared to the crimes perpetrated by UT football players through the years. But for a twice-suspended player, it was a third strike.

UT coach Phillip Fulmer didn't announce right away that Banks had been dismissed from the team. A coach who sometimes moves with glacier-like swiftness in criminal matters said he was in the process of gathering information about the incident and would "meet with James on Monday."

It should be a short meeting, nothing more than "hello" and "goodbye." What else is there to say?

Banks was suspended for the Peach Bowl for violation of team rules. He was suspended again this spring for another violation of team rules.

After announcing the spring suspension, Fulmer said, "He's got some things he's got to do for me to be a part of this team. If he takes care of those, he'll be back on a good page. If not, he won't be."

Although I don't profess to be an expert at interpreting coach-speak, I think it's safe to say Banks' to-do list didn't include underage drinking and making a general nuisance of himself.

Police were called to break up a loud crowd at Rocky Top Markets on Cumberland Avenue near campus early Friday morning, according to Knoxville Police spokesman Darrell DeBusk. When police informed the crowd the party was over, Banks responded by turning up the music in his car, according to the police report.

On a top-10 list of what not to do when a police officer says you are making too much noise, that ranks second to screaming, "You don't have the guts to use pepper spray." Who said Banks' greatest shortcoming as a quarterback was lack of arm strength?

He might be the best athlete on the UT football team. He also might be the least dependable.

Never mind how fast he can run, how high he can jump or how many positions he can play. UT is better off without him.

As for Banks, failing at UT doesn't mean he can't succeed elsewhere. Running back Onterrio Smith was dismissed from UT in 2000 after failing multiple drug tests. He transferred to the University of Oregon, where he became one of the country's top running backs, and now plays for the Minnesota Vikings.

Defensive tackle Lynn McGruder also thrived after being kicked off the UT team. McGruder, who will start for the Oklahoma Sooners this fall, was arrested on drug charges at UT in 2001.

After McGruder was arrested, Fulmer was asked how the player would be disciplined.

"I'm going to find out everything," he said. "No one on this team is indispensable."

Banks included.

This makes me want to SCREAM and BAWL at the same time!! How can he be SO STUPID????? I don't care WHAT John Adams says. WE NEED HIM!!! I AM SO MAD!!!!

:angry: :bash: :banghead: :furious3: :machinegun:

I almost hope so NC-GB, but Fulmer dumped Onterrio Smith- and, as a Duck fan, I can promise you that one of the Phat One's phalts isn't an unwillingness to dump idiots just because they're attached to extrodinary talent.

The thing is, we don't know anything about Bank's transgressions except this last one, so it may be grossly unfair to compare him to Onterrio.

The one thing we know is that Banks acted drunk and loud while on probation, and in a way almost guaranteed to tick off cops and get him busted.

As a person who was born in '60, and was therefore legally a minor then legally an adult when it comes to booze 3 times, I could care less about the fact that he was drinking. Especially in this year full of news about 18, 19 & 20 year olds considered responsible enough to "defend America", operate billion-dollar machinery, and commit morally defensible homicide. Therefore, I could care less about the "underage drinking" charge.

What puzzles s me is how suicidal this story seems. I mean, it almost sounds like Banks has given up on trying to get back on the team, and did something outlandish that would get him 86-ed on purpose.

The underage drinking issue DOES concern me, but I'll drop that hot potato and move on. It also concerns me that Banks obviously either feels so indispensible to the team that nothing he does endangers his position, OR he feels so unnecessary and unneeded that nothing he does matters. Fulmer is saying one thing, Banks is doing another. There is a lack of communication somewhere and it needs to be straightened out immediately.

Banks transgressions to this point have been academic, but not criminal. Stuff like that usually is just dealt with in-house. The matter of what happened on the strip, in and of itself, is minor in the eyes of the police. Banks was merely cited for underage possession and violation of the noise ordinance (why they implemented that stupid law for campus is beyond me). Fact is this time Banks has not done anything that anyone else on campus hasn't done, he just got caught. BTW, I still don't understand how he didn't get arrested.

Banks's problem lies in his repeated behavior toward the program itself. Banks has not been satisfied since he was moved to WR. Even though he has excelled at the position, he still thought he was going back to the QB spot at spring. His Peach Bowl :yuck: suspension was due to academic (and possible late night activity) problems. His attitude on the sideline showed his true colors toward doing what was best for the team.

Banks had an opportunity to get himself right over the off-season and was well on his way to do so, until Friday. Banks can shine when everything is on the line, and he is the go to guy. But as we saw in the latter half of the year, he is inconsistent when he is not the man. I want Banks to do well, I want him to play for UT, but I'm not going to sacrifice the welfare of the team for him.

We've already gone through one Kelley Washington, we don't need a repeat.

Originally posted by Volstorm@Jul 19, 2004 4:35 PM

and violation of the noise ordinance (why they implemented that stupid law for campus is beyond me).

Actually Volstorm, some people actually DO study when they go to college. I'm guessing you weren't one of them. LOL

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Let's sit the record straight here on Banks.
1) Late for classes
2) Late for team functions
3) Loafing in practice and games. Plus not knowing the playbook
4) Suspended for Peach Bowl (academic and breaking curfew)
5) Suspended for spring and summer. (acts detrimental to the team and academics)
6) ticketed for underage drinking (while sitting in car with keys in ignition and an open container) and a noise violation which he was told to turn down his radio then he turned it up a couple of times( this is called flaunting authority).

His second chances are up so are his thrid chances, time for Kelly Banks to find someplace that will allow his Prima Donna attitude.

Banks may be the best pure athlete on the team but he is NOT by any shape of the imagination the best QB, WR or DB.

If I wanted to root for a team with this type of behavior I would root for Miami, FSU or Florida.

Originally posted by TNVOLS1@Jul 20, 2004 2:02 AM
Let's sit the record straight here on Banks.
1) Late for classes
2) Late for team functions
3) Loafing in practice and games. Plus not knowing the playbook
4) Suspended for Peach Bowl (academic and breaking curfew)
5) Suspended for spring and summer. (acts detrimental to the team and academics)
6) ticketed for underage drinking (while sitting in car with keys in ignition and an open container) and a noise violation which he was told to turn down his radio then he turned it up a couple of times( this is called flaunting authority).

His second chances are up so are his thrid chances, time for Kelly Banks to find someplace that will allow his Prima Donna attitude.

Banks may be the best pure athlete on the team but he is NOT by any shape of the imagination the best QB, WR or DB.

If I wanted to root for a team with this type of behavior I would root for Miami, FSU or Florida.

I have to admit that you are right. I want us to win, but not at ANY cost. Banks should probably go, but I sure do hate it. I will never forget the Hail Mary that stunned the Gators last year.

Like we didn't have a team when we depended on Travis Stephens, or Peyton Manning or a HOST of others through the years? Come on, Stormy, you know as well as I do that while there is no "I" in team, there IS one in athleticism, competitiveness, AND determination. Banks has proven he has the athleticism, now I wanna see the other two. THEN we can "depend" on James Banks.

VN Store

Back