Baffled about Lady Vols

1 erratic point guard with no size taking two of their last three shot attempts including one where she attacked taller players on a drive into the lane?
1: teams take on the personality of their coach,,,, and Kellie has made erratic in-game subbing and decisions and questionable non-use of tactics and coaching weapons. Her players will mirror these tendencies

2 Where was the defense against players not as touted?
2: This team has shown defensive shortcomings all year: e.g.. not defending all the way to the basket on drives-stopping one step short and giving the driver the ability to finish,,, inability to guard the high-screened/3 pt shot,,,Posts trying to match against the opponent's post-ups with the upper body instead of using "a knee-in-the-back of the knee technique",,,Letting known shooters have career nights...
I have been teaching one-on-one defense all my coaching life (I can be there tomorrow)

3 Where was JH? Was she injured? I know she had foul trouble, but she never seemed in the game to me.
3: I cannot weigh in on this one as I do not speak with Jordan,,,but in looking at her I would surmise that she is playing with pain but not injury. And I do not see the confidence in her face I saw earlier in the year. This troubles me.

4 Where was Justine? Maybe she could have helped. Certainly as much or more than some.
4: There is no panacea for this team. But 42 years of assessing this game , I contend that had Justine been used as much as Tess this year, she would be further along...I base this on my own input to Justine before she got here,,,I suggested to her to work on extending her offensive game,,to get lower and wider on defensive posture,, to quit fearing contact and entry into the paint...And she improved on every single suggestion....I compare the growth I have personally witnessed versus the growth of Darby and I conclude she is a better athlete, taller (and knows how to use her span in defending quicker and shorter foes) and she has equal range and accuracy.

I equally assess Jillian as the better starter decision. Karoline is a very good andvery skilled post player, but in this SEC league she is severely under-sized, and in my experience "you can't teach height but you can coach it"

5 Where were the passes to wide open Lady Vols waving for the ball on the wing. I am beginning to think that is done purposely, prime example being when Sara was standing wide open yet JW threw the ball to triple teamed Rickea thus resulting in a turnover. Don’t know what’s up but this has become prevalent.
5: the pass to Rickea was the right one but it was poorly executed. It was picked off by Hayes (5'6") against RJ 6'2"....A little bit of arc and it would have been a definite two, but the pass was flat and easily stolen

Re Jillian,,,IMO she has worked herself into the starting role and to not reward her may cost this team that inner-drive it took for her to get to this point...."Employees, who don't get raises, begin to start giving you what you are paying for instead of what they are worth,,if not compensated

Finally,
I post as a coach, not a fan.

I have seen advances in the outer staff's responsibilities and acknowledge that there has been growth in individual skills in the posts and forwards,,but I have not seen equal growth in the ball-handlers or in-game decisions.
For me to continue to support the HC, she too has to grow!

Thank you Coach Jumper for your reasoned response. I think you and I are not far apart in our thoughts. And thanks to everyone else for your replies. You are the reason this board is great!

Well that's not coming in the recruiting class of 2023. Seeing as we have NOBODY committed

Hearing that we are going 100% portal.

THAT approach might actually be a ground-breaking strategy in the women's game. A reverse approach to the Calipari system.

Use all seniors or graduates. Pay them close to WNBA rookie salaries.

While others breathe Tennessee as a whole. No established rules of the team you choose to follow on when you can check in for validation to others. Lady Vols fall under the Tennessee brand not the other way around.

So, can you give us a breakdown of how well-coached the rowing team is? Assuming that you don't avoid rowing because it and other women's sports are a grind to watch?

I find it more than a bit presumptuous for anyone to say they support all things Tennessee simply because they're Tennessee while dismissing the activities based upon gender.

So, can you give us a breakdown of how well-coached the rowing team is? Assuming that you don't avoid rowing because it and other women's sports are a grind to watch?

I find it more than a bit presumptuous for anyone to say they support all things Tennessee simply because they're Tennessee while dismissing the activities based upon gender.

Alabama is well ahead of us in Crew. However, in our meat locker, we have some girls with extremely broad shoulders.

Sure, what would like to know? I’ve caught a few races over the years in Oak Ridge during the fall.

where did I state dismissing activities based on gender?

If you were going to position the Lady Vols for an 8-person crew race, who would you position in each seat by number?

Hint: Karo goes in the # 5 spot.

636303717762046741-Tennessee-Rowing.jpeg

For those not following, here is a diagram.

The COX barks out the orders and takes charge during crunch time. I have yet to identify her on this team:

Your best athletes start the strokes from stern:

So, we put Jordy in 8 seat and RJ in seat 7.

Then you need muscle and mega-power:
Tess is seat 6
Karo in seat 5
Buckets in seat 4
Jillian in seat 3

Finally, you want two smaller bodies for the fine navigation:

Powell is seat 2 and Walker in Seat 1.

Therefore, I guess Jaz needs to be our COX......maybe?

400px-BoatPositions.png

Let's all meet down at the river this afternoon.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Sure, what would like to know? I’ve caught a few races over the years in Oak Ridge during the fall.

where did I state dismissing activities based on gender?

I don't know enough about the sport to even ask, outside of Olympics and whaling and Viking movies. Do they televise SEC crew events (or races or matches or whatever)?

I halfway anticipated that you might refer to my question as a reference to you when it was speaking to a previous poster to whom I had already replied. It just seemed that you were defending the appropriateness of a Tenn fan critiquing Tenn women's sports even though he said he rarely watched women's sports at all..without specifying why. You seemed to imply that just being an "all-things UT" fan in general was enough.

I can see that a little bit...sort of like the "homegrown pride" some people have about anything local or state. However, imo, that's like saying, "Tennessee is the country music capitol of the world!" while in the same breath saying, "I can't stand country music." And then proceeding to say, "Country music isn't well-produced or recorded" while admitting that you rarely ever listen to country music. The qualifications for judging quality seem to be a bit lacking. Wouldn't you agree?

Reactions: Lucy and chuckiepoo

The COX barks out the orders and takes charge during crunch time. I have yet to identify her on this team:

Tess is seat 6
Karo in seat 5
Buckets in seat 4
Jillian in seat 3

400px-BoatPositions.png

This just may have become the frontrunner for post of the year. 👏 👏 👏

I don't know enough about the sport to even ask, outside of Olympics and whaling and Viking movies. Do they televise SEC crew events (or races or matches or whatever).

I halfway anticipated that you might refer to my question as a reference to you when it was speaking to a orevious poster to whom I had already replied. It just seemed that you were defending the appropriateness of a Tenn fan critiquing Tenn women'ss sports even though he said he rarely watched women's sports at all..without specifying why. You seemed to imply that just being an "all-things UT" fan in general was enough. I can see that a little bit...sort of like a "homegrown pride" some people have about anything local or state. However, imo, that's like saying, "Tennessee is the country music capitol of the world!" while in the same breath saying, "I can't stand country music." And then proceeding to say, "Country music isn't well-produced or recorded" while admitting that you rarely ever listen to country music. The qualifications for judging quality seem to be a bit lacking. Don't you agree?
I grew up in Nashville in the 80’s on Ricky Skaggs, Alabama, Randy Travis and Kenny Rogers….but I preferred MTV. Reading over the board the last few years there seems to be a faction of Lady Vol only elitist as a separate entity of Tennessee. Not the case, as I’ve said Tennessee is fans of millions and don’t need to check their LV card before commenting. With that said the older I’ve gotten the more I appreciate artist like Morgan Wallen, Whiskey Meyers and Luke Combs. Taking my wife to see Shania at TBA in October. But she agreed to go see Journey and Toto next week. Lesson learned, stay away from Broadway girls.

Tess is seat 6
Karo in seat 5
Buckets in seat 4
Jillian in seat 3

400px-BoatPositions.png

Edie based on size would potentially be my penciled in Cox (coxswain)

Jillian differs, unless you don’t consider Rickea or Jordan your #1 and #2
Jillian is becoming that player for sure but consistently over the season TESS has been. Not even my opinion it’s literally by the numbers.

Saw this on Facebook

this is the comment by Kellie in the last interview.

"We were trying to do that, we were doing a lot of substituting trying to figure out what combinations were going to allow us to have great execution on the offensive and with our spacing, and obviously trying to find five players that could defend as well."

As much substituting as she’s done the whole season, I know damn well they should’ve had this figured out by now! 😩😂

Jillian is becoming that player for sure but consistently over the season TESS has been. Not even my opinion it’s literally by the numbers.

Not sure what numbers you are looking at for consistency.
UConn 6 points - 21 min
LSU 6 points - 24 min
Ole Miss 0- 16 min
MS State 10 - 24 min
3 of the last four losses

Jillian same span
UConn -11 pts. 25min
LSU- 7 pts. 18min
Ole Miss - 9 pts 23mins
MS State- 18 pts 36 mins

Production sways to one player and she doing it coming off the bench

Not sure what numbers you are looking at for consistency.
UConn 6 points - 21 min
LSU 6 points - 24 min
Ole Miss 0- 16 min
MS State 10 - 24 min
3 of the last four losses

Jillian same span
UConn -11 pts. 25min
LSU- 7 pts. 18min
Ole Miss - 9 pts 23mins
MS State- 18 pts 36 mins

Production sways to one player and she doing it coming off the bench
I said the last few have been to Jillian for sure. But over the whole season it’s been Tess.

Tess being a guard averaging less than a turnover is huge. Jillian averaging 2.5 to/game but has been killing the boards in that span.

Jillian will be the player to help Tennessee get over the hump but guard play is what kills TN. As for numbers I’m looking at ESPNs metrics on play effectiveness has Tess at third over the course of the season. Jillian is actually second in that span u mention but 7th overall

Reactions: travis929
I said the last few have been to Jillian for sure. But over the whole season it’s been Tess.

Tess being a guard averaging less than a turnover is huge. Jillian averaging 2.5 to/game but has been killing the boards in that span.

Jillian will be the player to help Tennessee get over the hump but guard play is what kills TN. As for numbers I’m looking at ESPNs metrics on play effectiveness has Tess at third over the course of the season. Jillian is actually second in that span u mention but 7th overall
I disagree, to me Tess seems to fade away in big games. For Tennessee to be successful the #3 has to produce in big games, as the game plan is to make the #3 be the one that has contribute more because either JH or RJ has been held to a lower production/foul trouble. Jillian provides the point production and defense production that can take a game over.

I grew up in Nashville in the 80’s on Ricky Skaggs, Alabama, Randy Travis and Kenny Rogers….but I preferred MTV. Reading over the board the last few years there seems to be a faction of Lady Vol only elitist as a separate entity of Tennessee. Not the case, as I’ve said Tennessee is fans of millions and don’t need to check their LV card before commenting. With that said the older I’ve gotten the more I appreciate artist like Morgan Wallen, Whiskey Meyers and Luke Combs. Taking my wife to see Shania at TBA in October. But she agreed to go see Journey and Toto next week. Lesson learned, stay away from Broadway girls.

I think Creekdipper was usinng country music as an analogy but hey rock on with Shania (and check out Sarah Shook! who wrote one of the great country lines "I’m drinkin’ water tonight cos I drank all the whiskey this mornin’ "

But let's put the situation in reverse. "Now I never watch football, I don't think football is even a real sport because I only follow the women's rowing team but Johnny Majors was a terrible football coach."

Would you not feel an urge, to say hey wait a minute, you are you, as complete non-fan, to judge the coaching caliber of Johnny Majors?" Would that response make you a Tennessee football elitist?

Last edited:
Tess is the third best player on this team…

We need to have at least 4 players that could be the best player on any team and score double digits against good teams. In big games Tess seems to go missing. You can't win big games if you only have 2-3 players making big scores, but the rest not contributing any scoring. This leads to other players dropping off onto JH, RJ and doubling them. If you look back at the teams of the past there were players who could take over the game at points like Kellie, the Meeks, Candace etc.

VN Store

Back