Baffled about Lady Vols

Thanks coach for the video of Justine looking like the player we all know she is.....Her shot is pure silk.....That is the game where Harper was not impressed with Justine in her courtside interview...I believe her lip even curled a bit talking about her.

I believe you me and Mad, and a few special others, can see into the future of the LVs and she wears number 13....My biggest concern is she who makes silk so sheer, may take her talent to where she is more appreciated....
FfmhCEiWIAEgqvD.jpg

I think of it more like having a point forward and the example of it working would be most of the best teams in the NBA. It's such simple basketball but it works at the highest levels of the game.

Get Horston or Jackson switched onto the opponent's weakest defender, drive, kick it out if double-teamed for a 3.
Targeted offense? Switches? What is that wizardry? 37620…do you weigh more than a duck?

Reactions: Jax_Vol and glv98
I really don't think so. The curse of expectations is hard to escape and the clear evidence that this team regressed would be a death knell (in my opinion). I think the media openly discussing the need for a coaching is a big shift in the culture around the team.--Hey wait, you can't win with Horston and Jackson?

Of course, there are a lot of variables in play. The LVs winning the SEC tournament would likely buy Kellie more time, regardless of how the tournament goes but she needs to show some tangible evidence the team is trending in the right direction. The narrative of let's not the same mistake as before has some resonance.

In the end, it also probably depends on who White thinks he could get as the new coach. It is not unheard to name an assistant as the interim and see how it goes and we have assistants who have the credentials.

On the recruiting front, in my exchange with GameTime (and his palpable frustration over the under use of Justine), it occurred to me that the LVs' "three years and cloud of dust" playing style may not be asset in drawing top talent to the program.

My fantasy is that Kellie goes screw it, time for a change and lines up with Horston, Jackson, Striplin, Darby, and Pissott and the latter three have strict order "to bomb away from the three point" line at every opportunity. And Justine if you are open 35 Ft. from the basket, you go Steph Curry!!!!! I want a shot up within 15 seconds of the shot clock!!!!

Are you serious about that lineup? Ha: it would be problematic for two reasons: First, defensively, it would be considerably worse than what we've seen, and what we've seen is a team that can't play man defense--and yet we play man 90 percent of the time. Second, you have to run an offense that frees up your shooters for 3s, and we don't seem to do that very effectively. Making more treys would be wonderful--but defense is this team's biggest problem, IMO, at least when we play strong opponents. In most of our losses to top 20 teams, we've given up around 80 points, and that is always going to be a loss.

Thanks coach for the video of Justine looking like the player we all know she is.....Her shot is pure silk.....That is the game where Harper was not impressed with Justine in her courtside interview...I believe her lip even curled a bit talking about her.

I believe you me and Mad, and a few special others, can see into the future of the LVs and she wears number 13....My biggest concern is she who makes silk so sheer, may take her talent to where she is more appreciated....
FfmhCEiWIAEgqvD.jpg
We'll have to see if she ever plays any meaningful minutes at Tennessee. Not going to happen this season and if we decide to change coaches have no idea if she will even decide to be here. I really think we could let her play more in Darby's spot. I can see no damage being done for the reason given defense.

... My fantasy is that Kellie goes screw it, time for a change and lines up with Horston, Jackson, Striplin, Darby, and Pissott and the latter three have strict order "to bomb away from the three point" line at every opportunity. And Justine if you are open 35 Ft. from the basket, you go Steph Curry!!!!! I want a shot up within 15 seconds of the shot clock!!!!

now, give us your real fantasy lineup,,,the one with a PG and a Post

FfmhCEiWIAEgqvD.jpg

She's ready GT
She's ready

She's ready GT
She's ready
Physically, she's not ready. CKJH watches her practice everyday and has deemed her not yet ready.
This isn't a question of, should she start or come off the bench ? And still play 25 minutes either way. This is a coach that, essentially, doesn't play her at all.
If JP was able to play effectively right now, and CKJH still insists on keeping her glued to the bench, then Kellie should be released immediately. But you know that's not the case.

Physically, she's not ready. CKJH watches her practice everyday and has deemed her not yet ready.
This isn't a question of, should she start or come off the bench ? And still play 25 minutes either way. This is a coach that, essentially, doesn't play her at all.
If JP was able to play effectively right now, and CKJH still insists on keeping her glued to the bench, then Kellie should be released immediately. But you know that's not the case.
Amen. If Justine was the magic elixar being kept secret, CKJH would be committing career suicide. She knows what's at stake for her and the team.

This is not that weird stubborn come off the bench stuff, just no meaningful playing time. If anything, we criticize KJH for being TOO generous with playing time and "interesting" line up.

I'm curious what the Justine Brigade thinks KJH is missing in playing Tess instead of JP? More multiple 3 games? Better than 40% 3 pt shooter in SEC? Better court awareness? Or is it more about development? Play her now and in the future she will do all those things better? That's legit to an extent but it's a close coaching call that they have the right to make.

And either way, Tess or JP it's mouse nibbles around the edges guys, not a game changer worthy of an outrage and elevation campaign IMO. I really hate when these things pit players against ea other in posts. Makes us harder on the player not on our side of the argument than we mean to be I think. Poor Tess, she's really been the one that's shown real progress this season, her limitations notwithstanding.

Amen. If Justine was the magic elixar being kept secret, CKJH would be committing career suicide. She knows what's at stake for her and the team.....

Does she?
Is it?
would she?

Not with this mindset...

"I don't like to change things. I'm not big on change. I like to settle in and everybody defines their roles. As long as something is working for us, and right now Jillian [Hollingshead] is playing really well off the bench, that's fine. The starting lineup is not the biggest thing for me. Let's have consistency. Let everyone know their roles and understand what's about to happen. That to me is more important than who's out there first."

A lot of Justine talk. I don’t follow high school, AAU or recruiting much. I understand that she played in some kind of FIBA (?) tournament in South America this past summer. Can someone post her and her teammates’ cumulative stats from the tournament???
Thanks in advance.

...This is not that weird stubborn come off the bench stuff, just no meaningful playing time. If anything, we criticize KJH for being TOO generous with playing time and "interesting" line up.

I'm curious what the Justine Brigade thinks KJH is missing in playing Tess instead of JP? More multiple 3 games? Better than 40% 3 pt shooter in SEC? Better court awareness? Or is it more about development? Play her now and in the future she will do all those things better? That's legit to an extent but it's a close coaching call that they have the right to make...

My critiquing posts, re subbing, have never aimed at her being TOO generous,,,they have been about erratic subbing and subbing without purpose (subbing just to sub).

We have been beaten by undersized guards who beat us with speed, yet we have a lockdown pitbull defender sitting on the bench in Miles. We're not getting point production from our PG spot and turnovers are rampant, so why not give the speediest one on one defender a shot instead of giving opposing guards career nights?

re Justine,,,..Tess has not played one game w less than 14 minutes, Justine has played 6 games with 11 or more minutes and her % for those games is 46%

Reactions: Lurker
A lot of Justine talk. I don’t follow high school, AAU or recruiting much. I understand that she played in some kind of FIBA (?) tournament in South America this past summer. Can someone post her and her teammates’ cumulative stats from the tournament???
Thanks in advance.

• Won a gold medal with the 2022 USA U18 National Team at the FIBA U18 Women's Americas Championship in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
  • Averaged 6.0 points, 3.5 rebounds and 2.8 assists in a reserve role as the USA went 6-0.
  • Scored in double figures twice, firing in 13 vs. Puerto Rico in Group play and knocking down four treys to net 12 points vs. Brazil in the semifinal round.
The rest of her history:
Justine Pissott - Women's Basketball - University of Tennessee Athletics

We have been beaten by undersized guards who beat us with speed, yet we have a lockdown pitbull defender sitting on the bench in Miles. We're not getting point production from our PG spot and turnovers are rampant
The second sentence fully explains the first. Benefit of first would not offset the worsening effect on the second. But you knew that.

This whole Free Justine deal is just understandably frustrated fans reaching for a star, literally. LOL at this point we all need something.

Reactions: VolFuture and Raebo
Reactions: Raebo
The second sentence fully explains the first. Benefit of first would not offset the worsening effect on the second. But you knew that.

This whole Free Justine deal is just understandably frustrated fans reaching for a star, literally. LOL at this point we all need something.

I reiterate,,,imagine if Miles had been brought along for use other than garbage minutes...time on floor definitely impacts performance when on the floor...used sparingly, emergencies or not at all = coming in with a whole different mindset than getting your expected minutes

Are you serious about that lineup? Ha: it would be problematic for two reasons: First, defensively, it would be considerably worse than what we've seen, and what we've seen is a team that can't play man defense--and yet we play man 90 percent of the time. Second, you have to run an offense that frees up your shooters for 3s, and we don't seem to do that very effectively. Making more treys would be wonderful--but defense is this team's biggest problem, IMO, at least when we play strong opponents. In most of our losses to top 20 teams, we've given up around 80 points, and that is always going to be a loss.

Exactly, after JH and RJ, where are you going to get 40 points from to match the top 20 opponents? For example, in the Uconn game, after JH and RJ, the remainder of the team produced 27 points in a loss.

It's so late in the season to still be experimenting, but here we are

In high school Pissott, even standing 6'4" or more, had plays designed for her 3 point shots. She was acknowledged the best player in the State. She didn't have to scramble for every opportnity and had more chances to warm up without soon being benched. She didn't have jealous little guards disregarding her and pretending to have her stature.

In high school Pissott, even standing 6'4" or more, had plays designed for her 3 point shots. She was acknowledged the best player in the State. She didn't have to scramble for every opportnity and had more chances to warm up without soon being benched. She didn't have jealous little guards disregarding her and pretending to have her stature.

Jealous little guards?

We are terrible in defense so for sure lets not try anything different. We may be a team that should be more like the Phoenix suns, every game is a shoot out. In fact our "defensive line-ups" have become shoot-outs but we are not bringing enough metaphoric bullets to compete.

When you only put one outside shooting threat in the line-up and her job is to stand on the perimeter like a statue, waiting for a kick when the post gets double teamed (assuming the ball is not turned over first), it actually is not that hard to defend the three. So, yes I am suggesting that team should consider doing something different.

Maybe our line-up is better suited to a cohesive zone than man-to-man. If you replace Striplin with Hollingshead, you get a gain in defensive stoutness and indeed Jillian has shown she can hit the mid range. But using Stripling on the perimeter changes the game against bigger posts. Teams played smaller post who could shoot against Key last season and it wreaked on the LVs.

VN Store

Back